Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a lurker on these boards for quite a few years. But it has come to a point where I need some info please.

I have a 10/22 mag. This serves me very well for the most part. The problem is *****. From the house to the target is 160 yds. The problem is at 160 yds a 22 WMR isn't packing a whole lot of steam. I'm hitting them in the shoulders and body. But they don't usually stay right there. And if the wind is blowing that poor little pill gets pushed badly. I’m using Rem Premier 33gr V-max's and CCI 40gr JHP's. I need something that is a little more effective while still keeping the noise levels low.

So I've settled on a 22 Hornet. Now I love Annie's. Have a 1710 set up for BR work and a 1903 also set up for BR. Have been looking around and I can pick up a new 1730 with the SS heavy barrel for $900. Now I've been reading all my issues from SCN. And it appears that the 22 hornet will fill my needs. Question is has anyone here used the 1730 with SS barrel? Am I better off with a blued barrel? And are there better deals out there?

And the fella who just wrote an article in the latest issue. Has a 22 hornet in a single shot platform with a comp stock. I know you said info will be coming later but please share some of it now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Now I’m headed to work so will be out of contact. But will respond once I get back. Thank you.:)

·
Registered
971 Posts
Price and use

If you are not just going to use the 22 Hornet for anything but killing varmints , just get a Ruger in 22 Hornet or any Remington or even a Tikka or CZ , if you can get the SS , blood on the blue will take it right off if not cleaned asap. And having a clip like in the Ruger Hornet will also help if the first shot is a tad off. I know some say the Ruger is not aMOA rifle but I beg to differ. At the range you say they will put the round where you want it and do the job and still have more than enough rounds left to do any finish work or if you get a line of them running across the field in the spring. Just my idea, and hope it is some help and I know it will save you about 5 or 6 hundred bucks. Now that has to help. Think of the nice glass that would put on top of that or any of the others that you buy.
Mike (turst me) Murphy

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Might just be me but getting close to 200yds is marginal for a Hornet. I'm not a sniper (most of the time), I'm a hunter and I like to get well within cartridge-capable range to make sure critters are DEAD. If I were you I'd seriously look at a CZ in .221 Fireball or .222 and then you could reach out to 250yds.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The range would be 160 - 175 yds. Can't get closer due to no cover at all. The 221 FB and larger would probably be a no go due to noise. I have neighbors. They don't say anything about the 22 mag. But going a whole lot louder would probably kill the whole project.

Only other things I've considered are 17 AH, 20 AH, or maybe the new 17 FB But then I'd have to download it which isn't really much of a problem. But man I really like Anschutz's.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've been a lurker on these boards for quite a few years. But it has come to a point where I need some info please.

I have a 10/22 mag. This serves me very well for the most part. The problem is *****. From the house to the target is 160 yds. The problem is at 160 yds a 22 WMR isn't packing a whole lot of steam. I'm hitting them in the shoulders and body. But they don't usually stay right there. And if the wind is blowing that poor little pill gets pushed badly. I’m using Rem Premier 33gr V-max's and CCI 40gr JHP's. I need something that is a little more effective while still keeping the noise levels low.

So I've settled on a 22 Hornet. Now I love Annie's. Have a 1710 set up for BR work and a 1903 also set up for BR. Have been looking around and I can pick up a new 1730 with the SS heavy barrel for $900. Now I've been reading all my issues from SCN. And it appears that the 22 hornet will fill my needs. Question is has anyone here used the 1730 with SS barrel? Am I better off with a blued barrel? And are there better deals out there?

And the fella who just wrote an article in the latest issue. Has a 22 hornet in a single shot platform with a comp stock. I know you said info will be coming later but please share some of it now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Now I’m headed to work so will be out of contact. But will respond once I get back. Thank you.:)
I have shot a ton of ***** with my ruger VHZ 22 hornet,most of my shots are 30 yards or so.I use the hornady 35 v-max ammo.IMHO I would think you would be fine with the 22 hornet out to 175 yards on *****.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts