Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a lightly used 40XB this past summer and being new to this cartridge am having a few questions about performance.
It will be mostly used for "surgical" prarie doggin' and informal paper shooting.

Seems to prefer the 70 grainers over the 65s. I would like to shoot the vmax but if the NBT shoots more accurately will I lose anything in terms of bullet performance on varmints?

It also likes the 70 gr. Bergers. Are these explosive on PDs?
Any load reccommendations? or bullet seating depths?

I don't [plan] on taking shots over 500 with it.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
928 Posts
Personally I like the performance of the 70gr Sierra Blitz Kings over the NBT. My favorite is the 65gr VMax and the 66gr Fowler BR bullets. N135 is my powder choice.
Ken

·
Registered
13,193 Posts
Mine likes 71gr bergers and n135

Ain't got to shoot anything other than paper with it so can't help with the splat factor. Its got a Douglass[?] bbl thats 1-10 twist. Its shoots the 90gr berger just as well but ain't shot it as much with them. Really like the cal. alot and still can't see how they shoot as flat as they do. The 70gr tnt might be a good bullet to try for the splat factor. Good luck and God Bless

Donnie

·
Registered
1 Posts
:) I have a Cooper with I believe a 1-14 twist.Havent experimented with various bullets but it definitely does well with the 55grNBTips.Used it on some prairie dogs shorty after receiving last spring and I felt it was pretty impressive.Seemed to like to fly the dogs mid-air with devastating explosiveness.Would assume other bullets in this caliber would work equally well.This load works equally well on coyote and to date damage seems more limited to internal blowups.This bullet seems to work best for me with Reloader 7.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The 6 BR is one of the most accurate and versatile cartridges around. I have/had two built on Savage actions and they are near benchrest quality. A fine varmint-to-deer rifle.

Do yourself a favor, if you haven't, and visit:

http://www.6mmbr.com/index.html

Enjoy your 6 BR ...

·
Registered
142 Posts
6mmBR

I have a Rem 700 with Shilen 1:14 barrel. The person that sold me the rifle shot 68gr Bergers with 30.2 gr of H322. I have tried other loads and the best so far seems to be 75Gr V-max with about 28-28.5 gr H322. That seems a heavy bullet for 1:14, but I have several 5 shot groups under .5"

·
Registered
465 Posts
6mmBR

Well, I have had a few, and still do, and always will. 58gr V-max and AA2230 at 3,640 will do a dog in two pieces flying 30 feet in the air at 400 yds. Best to hit em' in the back. They seem to blow up better! Next best is the 65gr Vmax and AA2460. This would be 1-12 or 1-14 twist barrel. I believe it is the most destructive, wind handling coyote and under size varmint round out there. My .02 cents worth. I've used Xp's, Encores, Panda's and Bats. Even shot the 6BR .125 short. Dropped several deer in there tracks with the 70gr Nosler and a heart shot. The only other cartridge that really has me ticking is the 20 PPC, and we are still wringing that out yet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Im a 6BR nut

im shooting a savage mod.12 with a pac-nor 12 twist and 70 grn NBT.. ive shot several coyotes with mine closest was 60 yards no exit and 420 yards no exit there either..if i do my part it will group really well with 70grn NBT with 34grn of varget or 55 grn NBT with 32.5 grn of benchmark..i got lucky and thumped a crow at 800 with the 55s and it looked like i shot a blck pillow..its my go to gun always.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nuts I would call myself a nut I only own 2. I think the BR is as close as you can get for a all around round for anything up to Whitetail deer.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Try some h335 in your 6 BR......

it is excellent with the 60 & 65g bullets, will give you some unreal speed with Benchrest accuracy. A friend of mine, Gene Harwood, set a world record with his own 60g HP with H335 @ 3700 fps some years back.

I would not give up on the 65g V max because it is a very accurate bullet and has speed on it in the 6 Br giving great splat factor.

If you use H335, you will have unreal barrel life in your 6 BR.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the great info. One other question I have is about seating depth. How finicky is the 6BR concerning this?

·
Registered
14 Posts
seating depth..??

HI Hawkeye....seating depth is critical to gettin any of the better rounds to shoot rite....I have had several BR's over the yrs and can change powder amount and type with very little change in accuracy....but ...a small change in seating depth will make a "BIG" ...difference ...if your gun has a no turn neck you will be able to utilize the thicker "non-turned" brass and all the neck tension it affords and then be able to jam the bullets firmy into the lands...aprox .010" ....this seem to work in most....most powders we commonly use in these "modern" times like ((require)) lots of neck tension and bullet jam so the bullet doesnt start down the bbl. untill there is a signifcent ammount of pressure ...the bullet doesnt start moving then hit the rifeling and stop for a mili-sec ((hicc-up)) and then get going again...just one smooth pressure curve "up".....let us know how it works for uuu.....hope this helps and makes sense....Roger

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
expiper> question about seating depth. You are saying to seat the bullet so it touches the lands? My rifle has a tight neck .262 I believe. Do I need to take this into consideration. I will need to reduce loads if I seat bullets to lands (yes)?
Thank you for your input

·
Registered
118 Posts
6BR feedback

My 6BR has a #4 weight barrel and a 1x14" twist. It likes all 55-70 grain bullets about equally well. My groundhog load is a 55 grain Nosler BT over either N 133 or N 135. I like the way the VV powders burn - very cleanly - especially in an efficient case like the 6 BR. I haven't tried it at long range, but it should do fine with 70 grain slugs like the Sierra Blitzking. I haven't tried the 65 grain VMAX. The 58 grain VMAX wasn't as accurate as the 55 grain Nosler, but it was more explosive. I haven't shot the piece in several years, and I need to bring it to the range again soon.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts