Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.. Mrs Sandy and I are kindof sortof checking into what it'd take to get into a little boat of some sort for river and coastal creek fishing.. We both had a great time fishing last vacation so we thought maybe it'd be nice to have a small boat of some sort to play with if it wouldn't cause too much grief.. There's a nice new boat landing about a mile from camp down at the club on the Pee Dee River and plenty of access where we go to the beach..

..About the only experience I have tho' is that I completed the "Power Squadran" course quite a few years ago.. FWIW..

.. Just looking w/o any knowledge I like the center console types and seems the "skiffs" were once highly recommended.. But I have no idea what kindof costs arise from such ventures.. I do believe in the KISS principle and don't really have a desire to go tear-assing around.. But I'd like to be able to go from A to B "efficiently"..

.. Anyone care to enlighten (or warn) me.? Thanks.!! d:^) Jake

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's hard to beat a 13' to 17' classic Boston Whaler for the use you discribe. I've got a 1969 17' that we have had since new and recently picked up a 1963 13' for a knock around boat for the kids. They may seam a little pricey at first if bought new, but they hold their value well and they last to the point that they are one of the few fiberglass boats in that size range where the boat lasts long enough to outlive several outboard motors.

Here is a link to a very good forum on these boats. Check the discusion and reference sections.

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/

·
Registered
162 Posts
Inshore Salt Water?

Have fished inshore and offshore since mid 70's. Just sold our 90 2700 Tiara with half tower and the intenational offshore tackle. Nothing better than watching the kids catch Spanish and Kings except me catching Big Cobia, Wahoo and Marlin. Time to downsize.

We are considering repowering our 73 McKee 18' or buying a skiff type boat. You need to carefully choose a boat that will meet your needs for the type of fishing you plan, number of crew, depth of water fished, how far out you plan to be in ocean and of course price.

Fresh water river and salt marsh can be safely fished with a flat bottom skiff like the Carolina Skif with the wide beam. We owned a 226 Grady White (86-91) and absolutely loved the boat. Used hulls that have been repowered are cost effective. Our Grady White was sold last year with twin '99, 100 (now90) hp 4 stroke for $18000.00. Wilma and I fished that boat out to 60 miles in the Gulf and the last owner caught several marlin with it.

Most important is to determine your fishing and boating plans and buy accordingly. Don't get caught out in a rough bay in the wrong boat. Try local friends boats and go kick some tires with local dealers. They want to make sales, but they can be an invaluable source of information about your area.

Remember that engine dependability, GPS, Bottom machine and radio are the most important parts of saltwater fishing and boating. Don't be afraid of an older boat that has been well maintained.

Old Doug in GA

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Things can change..

.. But right now we're not even thinking of leaving the inlet.!! I'm a boat jinx on anything outside of that anyways (just ask Capt. Dick).. And the Pee Dee river, as I understand it, is mostly shallow water with rocks and low water levels being the big concerns.

.. Eeeeyow, anything up in that $18K range would hafta slide on by me.. And I bet the Explorer Mrs Sandy drives to the beach'd never haul it.!! The diesel's busy with the 5er on that trip..
.. Most of the guys I've been seeing out on the waters we're eyeing were toolin around in little john boats with small outboards.. I was thinking something just a step above that..
..I do want to have proper gear for the job, if I could swing it.. The skiff's keep comin up.. What's the scoop on those.?

Thanks fellas.!! d:^) Jake

·
Registered
446 Posts
Larry, I see you finally made the transition!

·
Administrator
12,426 Posts
.. But right now we're not even thinking of leaving the inlet.!! I'm a boat jinx on anything outside of that anyways (just ask Capt. Dick).. And the Pee Dee river, as I understand it, is mostly shallow water with rocks and low water levels being the big concerns.
Jake,

You've gotten some good advice from the other posters, but if you aren't thinking of leaving the inlet and if low water and rocks are a concern, don't go fiberglass. Rocks will poke right thru fiberglass. There are a ton of aluminum jon boat makers nowadays. Crestliner, Lowe, War Eagle, etc. come to mind. They make NICE 18-20' jon boats now, with center consoles and lots of fishing room. Get an all-welded, simi-vee hull and you'll handle the rough water nicely. If it's that rough, you don't wanna be out anyway.

Any of the big outboard makers are making good stuff nowadays. Honda 4 strokes are popular, but I've never had troubles with Merc, Evinrude, Johnson or Yamaha 2 strokes.

You know the difinition of a boat? a hole in the water you throw money into! :D

Good luck.

Charlie

·
Registered
515 Posts
Jake theres a guy down the road here that manufactures Jet Boats for River fishing. He builds up a Rhino aluminum boat with a Mercury that has been converted to a jet drive. They run in less than a foot of water. Guys use them here all the time on the James river for smallmouth fishing. Comes with trolling motors,fish finder, seats, live wells etc.... Jim Starkey @ James River Jets 434 286-4004. This is an excellent rshallow river boat. Hoever if you are planning on going into the sound it may not be the best choice. Jims boats are flat bottomed with strakes very light an durable. If your going into the sound a center console v-bottom boat may be a better choice. There is an excellent boat dealer in Martinsville, Va. close to you that carries a wide variety of new and used boats. Anglers Choice Marine. Check them out online as they have a new and used boat page.
http://www.anglerschoicemarine.com/

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You know the difinition of a boat? a hole in the water you throw money into!
.. Now that much I had heard.!! And may be reason enough to "Run Forrest, Run.!!"
..We'll prolly chicken out unless some whoppin neat deal falls in our lap and we know it.. Boating is just one of those things that I haven't really done yet and would like to.. There's not much shooting wise that interested me that I haven't done yet.. So I reckon I'll try something else, for a while anyways..

Sam.. I'd heard of the "jet boats" down around the camp and back when I was hangin around the Shenandoah area.. I never actually saw one that I remember.. They talk them up pretty good, tho'.. I bet one of those pups'd set ya back a bit but I bet it's the ticket for some serious river rats..

Thanks.!! d:^) Jake

·
Registered
515 Posts
Jim sells hisnewly built boats as well as some used ones... they come in different sizes as well as different prices. I've fished outta them and for a riverboat they're awesome.... We've run up on a rock, jumped outta the boat and wiggled it off the rock with no problem. They run in INCHES of water! The motor is NOT lower than the hull...
http://www.jamesriverjets.com/

Check out Angler Choice in Martinsville lotsa new and used stuff..
http://www.anglerschoicemarine.com/

·
Registered
391 Posts

.. Eeeeyow, anything up in that $18K range would hafta slide on by me.. And I bet the Explorer Mrs Sandy drives to the beach'd never haul it.!! The diesel's busy with the 5er on that trip..
.. Most of the guys I've been seeing out on the waters we're eyeing were toolin around in little john boats with small outboards.. I was thinking something just a step above that..
..I do want to have proper gear for the job, if I could swing it.. The skiff's keep comin up.. What's the scoop on those.?

Thanks fellas.!! d:^) Jake
They are great for shallow water, only draw 4 to 5 inches of water. They will pound you in chop. I have seen them on the Rappahanock River (Chesapeake Bay tributary) by crabbers. I think because of low sides, easier to pull up crab pots and they carry a lot of weight. Will not sink. Aluminum boats take a beating. You may want to consider one. I would probably not buy a new boat again. You can boats that are only 4-5 years old for almost half the cost, 14-17 foot aluminum boats anyway. Be sure to check out the maximum weight for persons, motor, and gear. Many larger, fiberglass, boats do not have much load capacity because of all of the extras on them. Go to the Caronlina Skiff site and the Tracker Marine site and look at two 17 footers. Compare the load limits. Of course some of the difference in load limits is due to hull design. The flat bottom, squarish design of the skiff displaces more water. Good luck.

You may also consider building. Check out www.bateau.com They have a ton of plans. They use a composite of marine plywood and fiberglass. The building process is called stitch and glue. No screws or nails. It is stitched together with plastic ties then fiberglass tape is used to hold it together. The ties are removed and a fillet is made of resin and wood flour or fiberglass. My brother in law is making a 24 foot tugboat that he estimate will cost $18,000 to build. It would cost about $55,000 to buy. It is suprising that there are wooden boat buuilders still in business today. It is supposed to be a much stronger and much lighter boat than a fiberglass one. The wood is completely encased in fiberglass. The is a 15'4" Indian River skiff That takes about 40 hours to build the hull. There is a boat that was built for years in North carolina called the Simmons Skiff. It can be built from 16 " to 24'. It was used offshore. It has been said of the Simmons Skiff that it will bring you back long after you want to be out there. Also, you may want to google Nez Perce.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Take your time and shop. My brother bought a brand new 19' Aquasport center console, with a 115 Johnson motor, for $14,000 and change. I think a similar boat , would be what you want.
John

·
Registered
49 Posts
If the river is really shallow and a lot of rocks, I'd go with a jet. I play and fish on Current River (SE Missouri) a lot. You can get by with a standard prop motor, but most prefer the jets.

I run a 18X52 flat bottom welded boat with an 0.080" hull, the boat is manufactured locally. For propulsion, I've got a 90hp Yamaha with a jet pump. Going with a jet, you need to deduct about 30% of the power at the shaft, they are very inefficient. Most would call my rig a 90/60.

A very popular rig around here is a stripped down 18X52 with a 40/60 jet (60 HP powerhead with a jet pump). These rigs will get up and down the river very well.

BTW, once you learn to really get after it in the shallow stuff, you can run a jet in about 4" of water.....you just don't want to shut'r down when you're running over that shoal. I pretty much sucks (literally) when you fill the pump full of rocks.....been there, done that!

sab-

1 - 13 of 13 Posts