Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,884 Posts
Logistics of getting the meat back would be the problem.

·
Registered
8,938 Posts
BAD......bid arse drone ;)

·
Premium Member
5,054 Posts
Article says 12 people will be chosen and their going to kill "hundreds"...is that 100..200? Hopefully the have a decent window of time to get the job done. If it's just a 100 that's roughly 8 a person....somebody's gonna be busy.

Like Donnie said they do taste good though!

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
This must be in conjunction with the freezer buying stimulus check.
And the renewable electric energy stimulus.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Man I would like to get in on that, I have the artillery and loaded ammo, put a freezer on my trailer with a a generator, and head out!

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
Local guy started raising them to sale the meat and parts.
Had a market for about everything on'em. Long story but he
tried to paint its horns so he could tell the difference in the 2
bulls. He was moving them to a different pasture and had him in a new cattle trailor.
Alu. high dollar 1. About the 2nd spray, it goes out the side of the trailer and got mean. He said it was the tamest 1 he had been around until that. It would charge him when he would get in the field after that and he was afraid it was going to hurt him or the guy that helped him with them. I shot it with a 25-06 between the eyes.
there's a lot more to the story but would take awhile to type it. I cut its throat and almost lost the tip of my finger in the process. All on video...Tucker was born 2 day later. He gave us several bags of meat and it was all real good. He said he got 1200 lb. of meat so it was over 2000 lb.

Donnie

Ps...got a pic somewhere...video...ain't got a clue...lol

·
Administrator
12,417 Posts
They are relocating some. Go to the link in the article. They also have very high expectations for hunters. Will have to carry meat out, no mechanical help. Hunters MUST give a full week. Must be in good physical condition. Said must use 30 cal or bigger with non lead bullets NOT heavier than 165 Gr??? Idk what they are thinking there??? The good physical condition requirement probably rules out all but skruske on this board. LOL

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I think it would be a hoot to shoot one with a traditional caliber. I'm with Sam, a couple of freezers on a trailer with a generator. I've heard that they do get mean and they go pretty much wherever they want when they want.

·
Registered
595 Posts
These are wild bison, all they get to eat is Buffalo grass. Just like beef that are grass fed it is tough meat. If you cook it to much it gets tough as shoe leather. It’s best when you cook it very rare.
About 12 years ago my Nieghbor bought a Buffalo hunt from a rancher in Union, So.Dak. He asked me Togo along and help him, so I went along.
He picked out a big old “bunch quitter”bull and shot him with a 1886 50 express Winchester. One shot with that canon at 100 yards, and down it went, DRT.
The rancher came with his loader and picked it up so we could dress it out and got it loaded in the pick up so we could get into a butcher shop and get it cut and wrapped. My Nieghbor is an enterpriseing fella and he paid around $1500 to shoot the damn thing. It was no hunt, just drove up to this “wold Buffalo” with the pick up, got out and lays across the hood and shot him. He had peoplel who wanted to buy the meat and that was how he was going to pay for his hunt. Yes, he thought he was clever and had a plan. We got the meat in a couple days, over a 1000# of it, packed in dry ice, and headed home.
When we got home, we grilled some steaks rare ( because it was grass fed) and you could hardly chew it. We tried some hamburger, and it was like eating pea gravel. It’s was darn near inedible.
The only way it was half way decent was to can it and pressure cook it.
needless to say he couldn’t sell it to the people who were going to buy it and he ended giving it away to those who would can it and the rest was thrown out. Canning a 1/2 ton of meat is a big job,

Buffalo that are farm raised an fed something besides grass is excellent meat. But not a wild bulll, maybe a wild young cow would be ok, but I’m not willing to try because it’s to much expense and work.
Everyone be safe, stay healthy and Gods Blessings to alll of you.

Reactions: JRinKY

·
Registered
770 Posts
I shot one a few years ago. Quigley in 40-70. Hit him between the eyes at about 50 yards and went straight down, as legs just collapsed. Had tractor and front-end loader to hoist him, and do the cleaning. We used to raise them and had 16 at one time. We butchered about 8-10 over the years and they were delicious. Finally sold them to guy wanting to start a herd.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts