Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife has had it on tv all day, and I must say, I enjoyed the derby this year. The winner was a long shot, 1-80 odds, would have liked to have 1000$$ riding on him, came up the rail at the last few seconds. I always love a underdog.

·
Registered
10,237 Posts
The winner wasn't even in the field yesterday. Got in because another horse withdrew. When it's your day, it's YOUR DAY!

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
I kind of like it when a long shot wins. The jockey was the leading jockey the last few years at Mahoning Valley Race Course in Youngstown, Ohio. Where? Youngstown, Ohio. That tells me that he wasn't in the top tier of jockeys. Nor the second tier. Nor the third tier. He was riding in Youngstown, Ohio, for heaven's sake. But by golly, when he got his big break, he performed beautifully. Almost the same story on the horse, which was claimed in a $30,000 claiming race. If you know anything about race horses, that's a pretty low claiming price. Makes for a good story and gives hope to all the also rans in this world.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I kind of like it when a long shot wins. The jockey was the leading jockey the last few years at Mahoning Valley Race Course in Youngstown, Ohio. Where? Youngstown, Ohio. That tells me that he wasn't in the top tier of jockeys. Nor the second tier. Nor the third tier. He was riding in Youngstown, Ohio, for heaven's sake. But by golly, when he got his big break, he performed beautifully. Almost the same story on the horse, which was claimed in a $30,000 claiming race. If you know anything about race horses, that's a pretty low claiming price. Makes for a good story and gives hope to all the also rans in this world.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
You gotta watch those Okies when they get lined out ……😀

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I usually place a bet every year. I got off work at 6:00 yesterday and thought about stopping on my way home but chose not to. I feel like a winner because the picks I made would have cost me $48 and none of them were winners.
My Brother-in-law had $2 on the winner. Another couple we know had $2 on the winner AND a $2 trifecta so they will cash in their tickets for $15,000 today.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Wow! Knowing someone who had a winning trifecta ticket is waaaaaay longer odds than what Rich Strike beat.
I was with my best friend in 2010 when he hit a $1 superfecta on the Preakness which paid $17,000. That was the biggest win i‘ve ever seen personally. It turned into quite a party after that and when he woke up the next morning, he couldn’t find the ticket. His wife finally found it at 1:00 the following afternoon. He said it was like winning a second time.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts

Well. That ain't the right one, but its interesting.

THIS will be Shown for the next 100 years.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts

Well. That ain't the right one, but its interesting.

THIS will be Shown for the next 100 years.
I count at least four times where that horse slides through holes, some of them pretty tight. If even one of those closes up on him, he doesn't win. It was an incredible victory, for sure.

Looks like only one other horse has won from the No. 20 gate, and that was Big Brown in 2008. Assuming Rich Strike was dead last as he swung left to join the pack coming out of the gate, so now I'm wondering how many other Derby winners came from dead last to win. Google didn't come up with anything on that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts