Varmint Hunters Forum banner

Any guesses what this is and what exactly it was used for?

424 Views 1 Reply 2 Participants Last post by  s3gunner
Found this on the ranch. “Clots & Meese S.F.” On the cross piece at the top. It looks like a press, but to be mounted handing from something (as the letters are right side up as looking at it in the picture). Googled the names and it was a machine shop in S.F. in the late 1850s.


See less See more
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
I saw something similar to that that was a pipe vise. There were two internally toothed Vee block type things that went into guides visible on right and left side in that picture, once bolted back together one used the jack-screws to tighten the vee blocks onto the pipe to hold it tight to work on, cut threads, etc.
I saw it in an old blacksmith shop.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.