Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About everyone but a couple I think.

Just Thinking.
Just Warning y'all to be CAREFUL in the Bathtub or Shower. Take extra precautions and iffen you don't feels the best, just Forgetaboutit. Do it tomar.
Only takes one slip and you busted something, And we don't heal as good as we used to.
I don't like Water Anyway.
Jest Sayin....
Carry On.....

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
You ole fart…..what did you do now

Reactions: CarlP and JRinKY

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
You ole fart…..what did you do now
Bruce, I thought the same thing when I read JR’s post. Good advice by the way.

I’m not as old as some of you guys but I find myself taking off my bifocals sometimes when I’m walking down stairs.

·
Registered
9,520 Posts
Good advice.
We bought two well designed, cam operated suction, grab handles from the local, small town drug store........and use them.

Reactions: Bruce Eakins

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well I guess I qualify. I am forever getting a cut or abrasion on my hands/arms. Last week, I tripped in the shop, didnt fall, caught myself on my left arm, with a piece of steel, rolled the hide up in 2 places, and caught my elbow on the buffing pad which was running and ground off another chunk of skin off my elbow. Yesterday I reached down to get something by the kitchen window, and caught the scab on my elbow, finish nail dug in, ripped it off, and dug a ditch in the original wound. Oh welll at least I am stocked up on band aids.

·
Administrator
1,949 Posts
I have two metal knees and new metal hips two metal rods and a bunch of screws in my lower spine, a metal plate in my right foot. So I am very careful in the shower, and can't get set down in the tub and wouldn't if I could, love showers hate baths. I put a thick fiber mat in my shower, that will allow the water to drain out. Doesn't slip and feels good under my feet. I had to sell my motorcycle because of the extreme chance of an accident with it, so I am very careful in the shower or going down or up stairs. I have to walk with a cane now because of the nerve damage from the broken back that caused the rods and screws. The cane of course has to be in my right hand and that is my shooting hand.
I am probably about the oldest one here, but maybe not. I am 77 years of rough usage and abuse. If I knew I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.

Edit to add comment; Sam that sounds a lot me, If I don't bleed I didn't do anything. Always have a band aid somewhere.

Reactions: Bruce Eakins

·
Registered
9,520 Posts
Welll now JR, that be right thoughty of you. Yessir, looking out fer his elders. What a Prince.
Scrapes? It seems w this paper skin l can spring a leak at the slightest encounter.
Controlled fall? I've been into those for a few years now. But not this one:

Carrying the folding chairs downstairs after last month Bridge club. About 2-3 steps from th the bottom, right handfull dug into the step mid stride.....didn't know the legs could move that fast. I was Fast Footin' ! Still fell, but short of the pool, pingpong, air hockey combo table. Chairs everywhere and I'm trying to do an agility drill. Think football car tires. Dinah came running........"I'm Good."
I still fell to hands n knees - but skated on that one, for sure. A couple of steps higher would have added a lot of variables to that gravity check. Yup, proved again that chit does indeed flow downhill. ;)

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Yesterday I reached down to get something by the kitchen window, and caught the scab on my elbow, finish nail dug in, ripped it off, and dug a ditch in the original wound. Oh welll at least I am stocked up on band aids.
Good opportunity for a reminder. Most of us are at the doc's office more than in the past, for various reasons. A lot of docs, especially in rural areas, keep things like tetanus vaccine and penicillin in a little office fridge all the time. It's usually no problem at all to ask for a tetanus booster. If you can't remember when you had your last one, then it's time. Doesn't cost squat.

Sam's mention of what sounds like a fairly minor arm wound also gives me the chance to tell a short cautionary tale of what a friend went through. My wife's best friend got a little pimple down near what they refer to as her hooha. Being a retired RN, she kept her eye on it and tried not to scratch. After only a day or so, the pimple was worse, getting redder, and hurt when she touched it. She got herself to an ER and if I remember correctly they admitted her after culturing some of the goo from the wound. Turned out that somehow, some way, she had picked up one of those flesh-eating bacteria thingies. Sucker wouldn't respond to anything, but IV antibiotic straight into a vein at least slowed it down some. She ended up having to wear some kind of vacuum gizmo around her waist that led to a tight-sealing plastic bandage that covered the wound. I guess the vacuum sucked out fluids and kept the wound drier than it otherwise would have been. I think the hole was packed with gauze, too.

Anyway, the moral of the story is that we guys may pay attention to a serious cut or fall, but we tend to just shrug off the small cuts and pimples. My advice is don't worry, but take care of any skin break and keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I don't really know where I fit, age wise, with you guys. I'll be 65 this month. I was doing pretty good until I got MS. I walk with a cane now, and sometimes with a walker. I also use a wheelchair for working around the house or going to watch the Grandkids play ball. It allows me to stay at what I'm doing longer that standing on my own 2 feet. I've had a few falls but they were mostly controlled crashes! I did slip in the bathtub at the motel while with my Prairie Dog hunting buddies, and I couldn't get up by myself. It was just too slick, no handrails, no anti-slip, no nothing! It was humiliating to say the least. I joked about them starting the morning out by seeing my fat naked ass in the shower! What are friends for???

Our new house has slightly wider doors and hallways than whats normal. It helps when I'm wheeling around in the wheelchair. It also has seats and hand rails in the showers. And the Wife has one of those mats in the showers like Mrmurl described.

Its hard to believe that I used to stand up on the 4wheeler seat to put corn in the Deer feeders or walk across a 6in wide I-beam 90ft up in the air! Or stand on the top step on a 12ft step ladder! I guess I had a good run but its over now!

I'm slowly converting all of my Deer stands to handicapped stands. Most went from 10ft from ground to floor to 4ft and ladders were replaced with 45º stairways. I have 1 more to do. We also added a hand rail to the porch steps at Deer camp and a hand rail by the potty. Getting old ...............!

You guys be safe and take care of yourselves.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Its hard to believe that I used to stand up on the 4wheeler seat to put corn in the Deer feeders or walk across a 6in wide I-beam 90ft up in the air! Or stand on the top step on a 12ft step ladder! I guess I had a good run but its over now!

I'm slowly converting all of my Deer stands to handicapped stands. Most went from 10ft from ground to floor to 4ft and ladders were replaced with 45º stairways. I have 1 more to do. We also added a hand rail to the porch steps at Deer camp and a hand rail by the potty. Getting old ...............!
LM, it seems to me that you have basically two choices when life throws you a curve ball. You can either pull inward, feel sorry for yourself, and be miserable or you can Improvise, adapt and overcome which is the unofficial slogan of the Marine Corps. It appears to me you are improvising and adapting pretty darned well, and I contratulate you for that.

Click the graphic below to reach a website that goes into a little more detail about that USMC slogan. Here's a snipped from that site and I think it's excellent:

"The Marines know something that should be self-evident to all of us: Things go wrong a lot. Expect the unexpected. Don’t be surprised when the best laid plans go awry. Don’t spend a lot of time wishing things were different. Spend your time finding a solution."
Font Rectangle Signage Brand Graphics

·
Registered
9,520 Posts
Many of us may have been drug around by that "handle" early on till we got our wheels under us and adopted the idea of "Yer only one of a thousand, go admire yourself on your own time and dime." They usually had toys in their head.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts