Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if any of you fellas "hunted" any of the water critters than are found along out coast? Here in "The Sportsman's Paridise" their are alot of good salt water fishing areas both inshore and offshore. I used to do alot of offshore fisheing and have gotten away from it over the years , now days any fishing I do is coastal small game.

Anyhow I was wondering if any of you folks had any need for some bigger tackle thats taking up space here.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Wet big game! YESSS!!!!

Now ya done did it! Gonna have to drive the poor troops crazy with big fish pics.
Would you believe my "one that got away" story if I didn`t smile or even let my eyes twinkle a little bit?

Ok, damn, I know I`m gonna get reamed for this.... but the big fishys are darn near as hot for me as african game. Lions and tigers and buffs!

Was in Kodiak for 2 years as last flying station before retiring from the Coast Guard. The base had "Morale Boats" for our use. 17 foot whalers plus all the gas you wanted for 10 bucks a day. (oh, b4 anyone gets their panties in a knot, the funds for Morale are from "Non-taxpayer" sources like the base stores)
About June of 1986 I was out with my Chech fishing buddy Goyko Miloridich (a former Govt trapper in Calif in the 60`s when they used cyanide guns baited with burro paste, but I digress) we had 3 "Butts" in the boat over 100 lbs each, biggest was 132. So, the 4th fish gets busy on us and we do about 40 minutes EACH tag teaming him. We had gained absolutely no line in the 1-1/2 hour tussle. The weather was coming up so we decided that we needed to end it one way or the other. As we use 130 lb test braided dacron line, I didn`t think we`d bust the line, so I figured I`d just pull out the stops and yard the damn thing in and see what happens. It took 10 more minutes of FULL BORE PULLING to get it to the top.

There`s an old rule that you NEVER let the fish get its nose out of the water until you are ready to shoot it. Goyko was ready with the Redhawk 44, so I lifted for all I was worth.

Oh, ... the 130 pounder was exactly 6 foot 2 inches long. This fish was AT LEAST 2 feet longer. Halibut normally get thicker, faster than they get longer, as they get heavier. (when I went on a 2 day commercial halibut trip, the biggest fish was 362 with no guts, and it was 7 ft 1inches) went to see the Ak fish bioligist (another damn scientist) and he looked up some records and could not find a record of one that big. He said it might have been over 500 and maybe 600 but I really think he doubted us. After all, if you don`t have the fish with you for proof....

Back to the story...
So I pull the head out... uh sorry about that.... and BLAM!!!!!! Goyko shoots. The next thing I know, I`m bleeding from my hands, face and Goyko is holding his face with blood soaking from between his fingers. Oh God, the gun blew up! I`m really worried now and forgot about the fish, but Goyko is grabbing for the gaff and smacking it into the fish. I swearthis SOB was 8 feet long! Goyko is bleeding from his forhead and blood is everywhere and it isnt fish blood.

Goyko is trying to hold the fish with the gaff and it looks like he`s got Shamoo on it. Water splashing 10 feet in the air and I`m trying to find the gun, which is nowhere in sight. Finally I think maybe I can hold it with the pole so I grab up the rod and theres no fish on the end. I reach for the gaff and the fish pulls away with the gaff and swims off.

We just stood there looking into the icy water, dumbstruck. I`m still wondering what the HELL just happened. Then I look at the pole, and notice the 2 pound round sinker is missing from the spreader bar...... The metal piece that is molded into the sinker is there tho.....
Ok, what the heck is going on here?.... Then it hit me (literally). Goyko had shot the ball sinker dead on with the 44 magnum at 3 or 4 feet. I still have a scar and so does Goyko. We were probably very lucky.
Additionally, It is highly unlikely we could have gotten that fish on board even if we wanted to. I was pretty sick for a long time as that is a once in 20 lifetimes fish. We could have ended up hurt bad. On that commercial fish trip I took I came home with 1 perforated eardrum and 2 broken ribs from the aforementioned 362 pounder (another story) and that was on a large boat after it had 2 rounds of buckshot in it.

So yes, fish varmints are the order of the day here when the coyotes are not biting. I`d be interested in gear for sure. We are buying a 58 footer and hoping to get up north by June this year but so busy.....I do know which honey hole I`m headed for when we hit Kodiak. They say the halibut live a long time.....
Thanks for kicking in the old memory mode....

·
Registered
299 Posts
Hey Samson.. Email me.. jakeATncvarminterDOTcom

Bear- Great story.!! Whot a hoot.!! d:^) Jake

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
Where are you located, Samson? As a matter of fact, I"m headed to Fort Lauderdale TODAY. Got some business, but will then be vacationing in Key Largo from Thursday afternoon until next Wednesday morning. Gonna get in some fishing, but don't have a charter lined up yet. Could sure use some advice. Will try to log back in here later today or tonight. Also sent you a private message with my cell #.

Mike J
Louisville, KY

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jake , An E-mail is inbound
Mike I'll try to give you a call around noon.

I've always wanted to fish for Halibut and Ling cod up in Alaska but have never had the chance to go up their other than to work one time for 3 days , but the country is awsome

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.