Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been hunting early morning till about noon, and have had a pretty poor season. I think we are only educating crows where we hunt, since we've hunted the same properties several times this season. I can hear crows from my house in the evening, but never tried to call them. Crows we've encountered this year are MUCH smarter than last years crows. I'm open to suggestions....

·
Registered
65 Posts
change things up

I have hunted crows a good bit and on a couple of places the crows got real educated. They knew my pickup and acted accordingly. I had to park much farther back and try different calling techniques. I bought decoys and that worked two or three times. I tried putting potato chip bags on the ground and decoys around them. I had to buy a mouth call and mix in caws with the tape. Some varmint squeels will bring them in. A wounded bird call will work. Lots of things will work but not for long. They learn fast. After a while the crows got to sending only a scout when I called and if he didn't see anything that matched the sound then there was no use in going further.

I wore a ghillie suit one time and that fooled them. They flew over me making a ruckus as I walked across an open field. If I would have had my shotgun I could have gotten a few. They are curious birds but very smart.

I waited a couple years on one place before going back but it didn't help much. The old ones remembered and somehow passed that knowledge to the young ones. Most of my hunts after the critters got educated would produce only one or two kills. Nothing like the 10 or 20 I got before on some hunts.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have had good luck calling crows any time of day light, however after 2 callings they have been educated good, and they spread the word as well. Even a year later they still know what's up when your calling the same flock.

I have also noticed at first they would be say 20-30 crows really coming in hard, doing the dive bombs at near locations of the sound, after 2 or 3 times your lucky if you get 5 crows to come in, and they stay way up in the air and circle. May just be part o fteh crow calling, I have some decoys now and hope that will be a one more chance deal

Clint

·
Registered
568 Posts
For whatever reason our property has become located in a fly over lane this year. Each morning they come through heading one direction and each evening the come back through headed the opposite direction. The only difference being that in the AM they will work their way through the tress landing and stopping and looking only as best I can tell. In the PM they don't land in any of the trees but will circle and search if called. I have seen more close up this year than in the last five years. I have found that waiting to shoot the last few to come through in either direction or time of day has not seemed to educate them.
I don't think that this has any connection to the crows but in the last three months I have had a juvenile Bald Eagle pick out a 70 something foot slash pine tree for a observation / resting deck. When it first showed it still had a dark head and tail feathers. On Friday morning it was back on its limb and the head and tail feathers are nearly totally white.
Gary
P.S. Anyone have a saved file recording of a Bald Eagle they would like to share, I would love to shoot some video or digital photos of this magnificent creature, but it always sees me first and all I see is it flying away. I would like to catch it coming in and landing and sitting for a while.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
We've been hunting early morning till about noon, and have had a pretty poor season. I think we are only educating crows where we hunt, since we've hunted the same properties several times this season. I can hear crows from my house in the evening, but never tried to call them. Crows we've encountered this year are MUCH smarter than last years crows. I'm open to suggestions....
Keith, if you can get into position in mid-afternoon, somewhere near their flyway, or in their path to roost, you can have success calling in the early evening.

But remember, the later in the day it is.........the more difficult it becomes. When they are in "roost mode", their feeding hours are done, and finding it home safely to the roosting area is all they are focused on, and at that point of the day, calling is futile, and only going to educate them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.