Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
I purchased the new 7th Ed Hornady manual maybe a month ago from Midway USA. There are almost 970 pages of information in this one book. I like the Hornady manual because I do use a few of their bullets and do extrapolate some of their load data for bullets from other manufactures that are of similar weight.

Gary in NH-- I'm not sure what 6.8 you are asking about, but there is a 6.8 Remington SPC cartridge listed in this manual. Loads are listed for the 100 gr., 110 gr. and 130 gr. bullets (3 different 130 gr. bullets). As for the
new S+W cartridges
, I don't know exactly what you are talking about, so if you want me to look up something specific and will tell me what to look for, I'll take a peek.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Silverfox,
Sorry for not being more specific in the cartridges I was refering to.
You got it right about the 6.8, the S+W I was talking about is the 500 + 460 S+W Magnum pistol cartridges. I have been thinking about the 500 or 460 S+W Mag for my Encore (rifle lenght barrels) and wanted to do more research before I place my order. Thanks for offering to look up loads for me but that is not nessecary, just was wondering if these cartridges were included to make it work the purchase.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Gary in NH--It is no problem at all to look up the information as long as I know what I'm looking for and YES, both of those pistol cartridges are listed in the new manual.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've got one. Kind of concerned about some of the data though. They list 62 gr. of H4831 with the 130 in a 270 Win. Most everybody else has backed off to below 60 these days. They do have +P loads for the 257 Roberts, but are below some of the more accepted loads.
Of the loads I've really looked at they are well above what Nosler lists in their latest. May be just those particular loads though.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I've got one. Kind of concerned about some of the data though. They list 62 gr. of H4831 with the 130 in a 270 Win. Most everybody else has backed off to below 60 these days. They do have +P loads for the 257 Roberts, but are below some of the more accepted loads.
Of the loads I've really looked at they are well above what Nosler lists in their latest. May be just those particular loads though.
ole...

I have just about all the loading manuals, and there are many differences between them. It is because there are no two rifles that are the same, and no two shooters that will read pressure signs the same... and there are no hard standards.

For example, the New Hornady manual has maximum loads for the .264 being 5 or 6 grains lower than the Sierra... and I am shooting the Sierra max loads with NO signs, and could probably go a few grains higher if I wanted to. I'd like the barrel to last more than a few weeks, so I'm not going to piush it any more, and may back it off a bit.

I have had guns that were hard to open the bolt well before reaching max, and guns that went well over max with no signs of pressure.

But the point is that ALL of these manuals are just guides to get you started, which is why we all say "Start 10% low and work up".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts