Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my local dealers is a Browning Full Line dealer, so he gets all the goodies.
He's come up with a very good price on the A-bolt Varmint Stalker, but the kicker is they're all chambered in 223 WSSM. I'm having a hard time here, cause I don't have a lot of info on A-Bolts, so if anyone could tell me about theirs (any Chambering) as far as how they shoot and work and just how good they really are, I'd appreciate it. Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't know about the new ones, but I had a 22-250 A-Bolt Varmint w/Boss for several years. It shot great! Had a 22" barrel and the greem laminated stock. Sure wish I hadn't sold it:( ....

Where you at in IL? I grew up in the southern part.

sab-

·
Registered
11 Posts
a bolt stalker

hello, i can tell you that this is a awesome rifle, i have the a bolt stalker bull barrel 26 inc barrel very accurate! chambered in a 22-250....
love the rifle!!!

·
Registered
726 Posts
*******, A-Bolts are great guns, but not in WSSM

A Bolts in general are real quality firearms. And the A-Bolt action is second to none. The Varmint Stalker is a great compromise in terms of barrel weight vs. being easy to carry. It is heavy enough to aid in accuracy, without being so heavy it is a pain to carry.

Browning is probably having to discount these guns simply because they are in the WSSM calibers. Don't buy one of them! Let these rounds die the death they deserve in the marketplace.

You can also get the Varmint Stalker in .204 Ruger, 223 Remington, and .22-250

If you want a good new caliber, get one in .204 Ruger.

How good is the price?? Auction # 63427849 on gunbroker.com lists one in .204 Ruger for only $665.00 That is a few dollars less than what I paid for mine.

I have two Browning Varmint rifles. The first one is the Varmint Eclipse in .223 with BOSS Here is a photo of it in the field:

This rifle is so impressive, that when Rockchucks see it, they just keel over and drop dead the moment they spot it. As the Chuck in this photo did. He fainted, and his heart just stopped.

The second one is a Varmint Stalker in .204 Ruger, which I just got a few months ago. I've not had a chance to hunt with this rifle yet, but plan to early this Spring.

So my advice is to definitely get a Browning. You will save a lot of money on ammo, too, by scaring them to death like this! :D

Lance in Orygun

·
Registered
11 Posts
a bolt 204???

why is the price high on your auction??? i know a dealer i can go pick up the stalker for 599.00.

i am interested in the 204 can you tell me a little about it??
one how badly does the wind affect the bullet???
i have seen the balistics and i like it alot but does it have the knock down power out there a ways???

thank ya much!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Loopy, we are discussing the medium heavy barrelled Varmint Stalker model, not the standard Browning A-Bolt Stalker.

I believe that Browning may be heavily discounting the Varmint Stalkers in WSSM calibers, because they are not selling. So double check on what your dealer can offer. I know that our big local gun store here is no longer stocking WSSM rifles, as they were so hard to sell. They are now special order only.

For info on the .204 Ruger, checkout this great web site:

http://www.204ruger.com/

Lance in Orygun

·
Registered
343 Posts
Browning Eclipse W/Boss 22-250

Here is DougH's Browning and it is a shooter! This is DougH's gun and I sure wish I had one just like it! He has made lots of kills and good shots with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
351 Posts
One of my local dealers is a Browning Full Line dealer, so he gets all the goodies.
He's come up with a very good price on the A-bolt Varmint Stalker, but the kicker is they're all chambered in 223 WSSM. I'm having a hard time here, cause I don't have a lot of info on A-Bolts, so if anyone could tell me about theirs (any Chambering) as far as how they shoot and work and just how good they really are, I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Keep an eye on GunBroker. I was tempted to buy a A-Bolt Stalker in .204 Ruger from their website on several occasions. They were running just shy of $500. It's just I am not a "walking varmint" kind of guy and was worried about the relatively light barrel.

Chris

·
Registered
11 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
OK, Guys

I did not realize that the Varmint Stalkers were selling anywhere for such low dollars.

I guess I got a rather lousy deal on mine, then. :(

Looking at the Browning Catalog and Website, the VARMINT STALKER has a factory list price of $877, so these are amazing discounts off of the suggested retail price.

If the word gets around that these great rifles can be had for this kind of money, more people are going to be considering them.

Lance in Orygun

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
They are having a hard time selling the WSSMs, anywhere. In Australia, they are discounting them nearly 50%, and still can't give them away. Too much of a good thing, maybe, and poor quality brass doesn't help, either. High ammo prices, poor accuracy in some models, strict cleaning regimens for mediocre return, there's a whole host of reasons they aren't popular. Hornady's 6th Manual states they are HARD on barrels, too. Rebarrelling options are limited to the other WSSMs, so they are a hard sell, anywhere. Personally, I agree with Lance, don't buy it, regardless of price, buy an A-bolt in whatever "regular" chambering, if you desire, but leave the WSSMs on the rack for some other sucker.

·
Registered
11 Posts
lance

dont feel bad i paid 699 for my varmit stalker little over a year ago.i over paid also!!!!

but you know the gun is worth ever penny we paid for them!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Luv Them A-bolt's

I got about a dozen or so the action is smooth, great groups ... I dont have a wssm but i'd like one also

·
Registered
726 Posts
Actually, I lied earlier about

scaring that chuck to death. :)

He looked totally undamaged lying there on his back as I had found him. After I took the first pic with the rifle, I flipped him over.

And that's when I discovered that he had this big hole in the back of his head:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts