Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to shop Walmart frequently, then the big store closest to us closed a few years ago. I've adapted, but I check them out online every so often and my impression is that Walmart has changed, too. For example, much or all of what I can order from them is delivered free.

My 2016 Hyundai Sonata has the GDI engine that literally drinks oil because of its design. Usually it burns about a quart per 1,000 miles. Yep, you read correctly. Anyway, I'm constantly looking for good oil prices, and I like to use synthetic. I ran across the unbelievable price below for Mobil 1 full synthetic.
Product Font Rectangle Screenshot Circle

I ordered yesterday and the Walmart ordering system says it will be delivered today. If that happens, you can bet I'll be making a major investment in oil this week, stacking it to the rafters. There's got to be a catch here somewhere, but I'll be darned if I can figure out what it is.

Do any of y'all do mail order regularly from Walmart? What's your experience? Any advice?

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
I have an old 70's era Diesel tractor that LEAKS oil. Doesn't Burn any.
I add the Used Oil from the Other Tractors to refill it to keep it running.
Ain't pouring Good Hi Dollar oil out on the ground.
@Kentucky Fisherman that is a good price and you need to stock it up..

·
Registered
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What a bargain!!!!! I wonder if that is the per quart price.
I'm wondering the same thing, Frances. But it clearly says "5 Quart," the photo is of a jug, and you can see it shows being marked down from $34.99. I'm just trying to figure out what the catch is, because when it's too good to be true, it probably isn't. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
JR u sound like me . I've drained synthetic oil in the past with 4,000 miles on it and used it on a old bronco that used and leaked earl . Old Mrs Concellio called oil earl .God rest her soul. I do miss her meatballs. For the longest time Walmart was and still is the place to purchase synthetic oil for homeowners. I average 22-25.00 a large bottle of 5 quarts of Mobile One synthetic or either Castrol . I do change oil every 5000 even with synthetic oil and I use on OEM oil filters. Toyota and Honda both suggest 10,000 but they both like to sell parts as well .

·
Registered
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UDATE: Well, I ordered that oil on Saturday and Walmart's system said it would be delivered on Sunday, because it was coming from a local store. But around 8 p.m. Sunday I got a text saying my delivery had been bumped to Monday. We'll see.

·
Administrator
4,318 Posts
I always look at Walmart online when I am thinking of buying something. They have a lot of sales like that and excellent shipping, their norm is three-day shipping and lots of time next day.

·
Registered
61 Posts
If the engine sips a little oil, that adds to fuel mileage and in some cases increases the output horsepower. Don’t believe me. In Formula 1 racing, the F1 cars fuel amount is regulated at 50 liters for the whole race, but there is nothing in the engine regulations disallowing the consumption and combustion of engine oil. One of the F1 teams figured out that gray area in the rules and took advantage of it. Soon enough some of the other F1 teams come up with the same idea. It’s difficult for the F1 sanctioning body to disprove the teams are doing this on purpose as the engine will as a matter of function have a small amount of oil seep past the piston rings and vale seals. So as long as any oil that makes into the combustion chamber doesn’t foul the spark plugs, it extra fuel mileage.

·
Registered
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If the engine sips a little oil, that adds to fuel mileage and in some cases increases the output horsepower. Don’t believe me. In Formula 1 racing, the F1 cars fuel amount is regulated at 50 liters for the whole race, but there is nothing in the engine regulations disallowing the consumption and combustion of engine oil. One of the F1 teams figured out that gray area in the rules and took advantage of it. Soon enough some of the other F1 teams come up with the same idea. It’s difficult for the F1 sanctioning body to disprove the teams are doing this on purpose as the engine will as a matter of function have a small amount of oil seep past the piston rings and vale seals. So as long as any oil that makes into the combustion chamber doesn’t foul the spark plugs, it extra fuel mileage.
PRR, what you say meshes perfectly with some of what I've read on the Web about these GDI engines. Without going into as much detail as you did, there are many guys who say the GDI design came about as a result of the feds raising the mpg standards that car makers had to meet. They had to find some way to raise the mpg of their cars and this new GDI engine was supposed to do that. So, when you said oil "blowby" in racing engines would increase the mileage, that would fit just fine with automakers who needed to increase their mpg ... regardless of what that meant for the consumer. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well, Walmart delivered. About 11 this morning I got a text saying my oil was on the front porch. Sure enough, three 5-quart jugs of Mobil 1 5w40 at $12 a jug. I asked Cindy how many more I could order and she didn't respond. I take that as a green light to make that decision myself. Paraphrasing Roy Scheider in Jaws: They're gonna need a bigger delivery truck. 😉
Liquid Automotive tire Fluid Motor vehicle Plant

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I always liked a loose piston ring clearance for hot roding my simple mind figured less friction mo horsepower actually back in the day I liked a lot of loose things that I won't elaborate on. What has my curiosity is the high last # on the European grade oil viscosity unless it's because of being so loose . My Japanese cars are 0/20-5/20. I saw yesterday Ron Caps did pretty well I like Caps I was hoping Tim Wilkerson would have a little luck . Setting in the parking lot as I type
Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
61 Posts
hedgehoghunter;
Ahhh. The smell of nitromethane in the morning. Smells expensive.

You mentioning loose piston rings reminds me of the old days in NASCAR, where the teams who could afford it built their special “Qualifying” engines. Between the under sized piston rings, connecting rod bearings, valve seal, even crack bearings, it was claimed if you could had shook the engine before starting, it would rattle. Yeah those engines would do some insane, for the time, RPM. Of course if the engine was run at full song for more then ten minutes, it would catastrophically self disassemble. The track owners used a lot of oil dry back then.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
PRR I remember picking up blocks from Stuart Mathews Engineering that the cylinder walls looked like a mirror they were that smooth. It was no cross hatching on those cylinders walls . If it smoked a little that was ok it was about making all the horsepower u could . I stopped hot rodding in 1980 . Nitro and alcohol has a smell of its own . I would like to know what a gallon cost now?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts