Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2005 Fleetwood Prowler travel trailer and it has an 12 volt deep cycle battery. This battery runs some of the lights both inside and on the outside of the trailer. When hooked up to AC power the deep cycle battery is recharged, or I should say it is supposed to recharged. Obviously mine is not recharging. Any advice or information would be very helpful.

·
Administrator
13,343 Posts
not sure but

on my parent's trailer (and most others I've seen), the battery is recharged only when hooked to the vehicle. Unless there's a built in batter charger on the trailer, this is probably why it is not charging.

Charlie

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have repaired many of those......

You should find a charge wire from your inverter going back to the battery. There are several reasons it's not charging, blown fuse on the charge wire, wire off or broken to name a couple. The other thing is, there is a circuit inside the unit that regulates the charge and they often fail. I've repaired many of those circuits as they're pretty simple. That is, if you repair electronics....

Too bad you live 1200 miles away! Maybe an electronic tech in your area would like to take a shot at it. It's usually the chip or the SCR.

Good luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
When an RV has 12 volt systems there is normally a 110 AC - 12Volt converter to power the 12 volt stuff when plugged in. Many times there is also a battery charger built in to the converter. May be fused. I had one that had a bad solder joint in the charger. The charger is usually pretty low amps. If you have some type of draw on the 12 volt system it may not keep up. Owners manuals should have the info.

Good luck.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WOW! A big thanks to everyone that has answered. The interior 12V-DC lights work OK but the battery is loosing it charge even when plugged in the AC supply so I guess it is the charging unit. I have checked all the connections I could find and all the fuses that I can find are good as well. Looks like I will be pulling the electrical panel and seeing if I can find the recharging unit. My panel is built in the cabinet under the pantry near floor level next to the refrigerator.
Thanks again everyone, this site is the best.
Gary

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Another thing I just thought of that might be causing the problem. I had one of the interior 12V-DC (automotive type) light bulbs burn out. I took it out wrote down the numbers that were on the side of the bulb and just tossed it in the trash. I haven't replaced it yet and was wondering if having an empty receptacle could be the cause of the non recharge issue?
Gary

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Gary,
There's another possiblity that hasn't been mentioned. It's possible that your battery is bad. I have a 2000 Trail Lite. If I leave the battery hooked up and the A/C system hooked up as well, the water will eventually boil out of the battery. Having had to replace a couple of batteries in a relatively short time, I unhook the battery cable if the trailer is going to sit for a while. Then I hook it up a day or so before I plan to use it. You've gotten plenty of advice, you'll figure it out.

Rick

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gary,
There's another possiblity that hasn't been mentioned. It's possible that your battery is bad. I have a 2000 Trail Lite. If I leave the battery hooked up and the A/C system hooked up as well, the water will eventually boil out of the battery. Having had to replace a couple of batteries in a relatively short time, I unhook the battery cable if the trailer is going to sit for a while. Then I hook it up a day or so before I plan to use it. You've gotten plenty of advice, you'll figure it out.

Rick
Thanks Rick,
I thought of the same thing. When this first happened I went and bought a brand new battery and it was nearly drained in about 36 hours and I am rarely using any of the DC power items. Now for the kicker, I just checked the battery charge level indicator and it is telling me that I am fully charged. Earlier I did loosen and clean and spray down all the connection points I could access with a special electrical connection lube. However I still feel that I have a charger problem. Like you said I will figure it out eventually or buy a new converter/charger.:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Your description of the location of the electrical panel sounds very similar to a trailer that our local Emergency Management office has. The inverter/converter is behind and below the panel and there is a push button circuit breaker on the chassis. It is round and about 3/8" in diameter. If it trips the charger circuit won't work. Usually it trips if you run the battery or batteries completely dead and try to recharge. The overload will trip the breaker. You need to put an external charger on the battery or batteries to get the voltage above about 10 volts before the on board charger will function normally. I guess you need to watch the battery level and if it drops below 10 volts shut down the 12 volt equipment and recharge asap.
Brian

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
quick way to test is to disconnect the power lead from the battery and test lead with 12 volt tester with unit plugged in. If test light lights the charger is ok. I just put a dual battery setup on mine last weekend and thats how I tested the on board charger to make sure it was working.
hotcap

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.