Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Local Academy sports has one in 222 sitting on the shelf calling me....

They look really good, but the price concerns me.... about $100 more than they're selling the 700SPS for.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I was at a sporting goods store last month with Catrun'r(Sonny) & we checked one out. The action was as rough as a cob:eek: , it may have just been the one on display.... actually had to beat the bolt back and forth with our hands. Make sure you get to cycle the action for smoothness before you buy... Plus the bolt handle doesn't extend out far enough.. in a quick shooting scenario with gloves on you'd be in deep doo doo.
Model 799...no thank you for me JMO, Sam in Va.

·
Registered
35 Posts
798/799

I am a manager at Academy... We just got a 308 and a 222 in today, and allegedly have a Hornet on the way. First impressions were that the stock was nice but needed another layer of finish, and like was said, the action was very rough. Some of the "gun guys" behind the gun bar said that most mauser actions were rough, but I had a Ruger that beat the socks off of these. The roughness wasn't just from the magazine, but actually in the machining of the bolt raceways. The bolt itself looked OK, but the raceways already had the bluing worn off and were very rough. Even grease didn't smooth it out any. I assume that it would get better over time, but why pay that much for a rifle that needs that much time to get better? We'll probably sell a few for the novelty, and a few more because they come in calibers that we don't offer in anything else, but I don't expect they'll be a big hit.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After reading a couple of posts, I went back to the store last night and looked at it again.

I hadn't worked the bolt on it the first time as they have trigger locks on all the weapons in the store (the ammo is just a few feet away...)

The young guy behind the counter took the lock off for me and I looked the action over carefully and cycled the bolt several times.... smooth as silk..

I then looked at the 2 798s they had and it was the same way.... I don't understand the lack of consistency between what you guys are reporting and what I saw.

Perphaps Remington's lack of consistent quality control has made it's way across the pond to Yugoslavia?? LOL

The stock likely could use another coat of finish, but it looked okay.

As much as I'd like to have a mini mauser in .222, I think I'm going to pass on it. The $100+ bump over the 700 SPS just rubs me the wrong way when I know what Interarms and Charles Daly were selling the same rifle for sans the laminate stock and high gloss bluing.

The Interarms rifles could be had new for $350 with walnut stocks not too long ago, and the finish on the metal was nearly as good.

The only "duece" I own is a 788 and while I love the rifle, the Mauser is nearly 2lbs lighter.... and a damned sight prettier!

Oh well...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.