Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wondering how it worked. I traded for a 100 pcs.. of Lapua 6.5x47mm brass and was thinking of using it for a 6-22-250 that I am always looking for good brass to form .

Rodney

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Eggman, here's a thought

Read your post and after thinking about it a bit, the 6.5 X 47 Lapua
Brass I think has the small primer pocket. Reckon that is going to be
enough "fire" from the small primer to properly ignite a case that size ?
On the other hand, that might be the best possible scenario, using the
small primers ! ;) The small primer is apparently enough to fire the 6.5
X 47 round anyhow ! :) Several are already shooting the 6.5 X 47 case
necked down to 6MM, so maybe someone who has already done this
will give us a report. ;)

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Eggman, here's a thought

Read your post and after thinking about it a bit, the 6.5 X 47 Lapua
Brass I think has the small primer pocket. Reckon that is going to be
enough "fire" from the small primer to properly ignite a case that size ?
On the other hand, that might be the best possible scenario, using the
small primers ! ;) The small primer is apparently enough to fire the 6.5
X 47 round anyhow ! :) Several are already shooting the 6.5 X 47 case
necked down to 6MM, so maybe someone who has already done this
will give us a report. ;)

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Rodney,
I'd sure be interested to see how it works for you. I am considering using it to form 250 Savage AI and the small primer pocket will be a Plus. Please let us know how it goes.

Rick

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I answered my own question...

the 6.5 x 47mm case sized down and up well . I reamed the flash hole a little bit with the same K&M tool I use on my Lapua 6 BR cases for 22 Dasher. My 6-22-250 barrel is a tight neck so I just turned down to where the "bump" was to give me a false shoulder (I finished turning after fireforming) then loaded a medium load. I first used a Federal primer and it pierced it then I switched to CCI-450's and they did great. The firformed case measured 1.880"in length and held 44.2 grs. of water which is very close to my Rem. brass. I report later how accuracy is on the second shooting of the brass. I think its going to make some great cases.

Rodney

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Results are favorable...

here is some pics of the 6.5x47mm Lapua case , the resized and neck turned case and a fireformed case . You will have to click on the link to see the picture for some reason.

Accuracy was good even for fireforming here is a picture of my best target of 5 shots at 100 yds. I used a 62 gr. Knight bullet and 31.7 grs. N-133 and a rem. 7 1/2 primer.

Next I will be trying some fullhouse loads with n-135

Rodney

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Rodney, thanks for sharing...

that info. Did you get this barrel from Fred Sizemore? If so, I have it's twin and am wondering where you got the load data for it. Would you mind emailing me and let's talk about it?

[email protected]

thanks,
Rick Fox

·
Registered
458 Posts
OK this is a Dumb question..............

But I have to ask. 6.5x47 is the same length as a 222mag right or wrong? It would be too short for a 6-250 or would it?
Thanks
EricT

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Eric, No not Dumb. Lapua messed everything up...

when they came out with a new cartridge called the 6.5x47mm Lapua which is shaped kinda like a 6 XC. When they did there has been a frenzy in wildcatting the parent cartridge hence the 6x47mm Lapua. I still shoot the old benchrest cartridge 6x47mm that I make from 222 Rem. Mag.so I try to tag the other one Lapua and the 6x47mm still means (to me anyway) the 222 Rem Mag necked up to 6mm.

Rodney

1 - 10 of 10 Posts