Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
ahh the memories

during college years I decided to raise some red tailed boa snakes. somehow the heat rock got unplugged and the snakes got cold. by the time I noticed it, it was too late. the snakes got sick and died. so much for that investment :( . I distinctly remember a mouse getting loose. I contained him in the room and searched and searched. I finally found him. he had crawled into my computer. sneaky little varmint. :eek:

the only thing I know is you MUST keep a heat rock of some sort in the cage. thanks for the memories. best of luck! :p

·
Registered
935 Posts
Scott

Setup may well have to do with the species you are collecting. For instance, Steve's wimpy warm weather snakes wanted a heat rock and yet when I was in college, I used to transport my snakes 150 miles in a backpack in the middle of winter on my cycle. They went dormant and took a while to start moving after the ride, but I never lost one :D Type of species has a lot to do with it. Keep an eye on them for parasites. Snakes are prone to getting or already having ticks under their scales, but dusting them with silica powder can get rid of them. What species do you have and what is your setup?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I have had a red tail Boa

And just got a bearded dragon. The snake has room but the dragon needs an upgrade. I am looking for a stackable cage system but the most popular (Vision) are high! I may end up going that route but I was wondering if anyone for THE BOARD may be able to offer any input.

Thanks

Scott

·
Registered
785 Posts
Ball Python here

My 11yr old son has a female Ball Python, about 3 feel long. We use a 20 gallon Aquarium with a heat pad underneath. It has the screened top and has a couple of hides for the snake and a rock looking water bowl. We also use a infrared heat bulb to keep the temp around 80. When he's cleaning out the aquarium he wraps the snake around his neck as he goes about his chore. Previously we had a Texas Spiney Lizard in the same layout, kept it for 3 years. Pretty entertaining to drop a rat in there and watch the python do her thing, she's a killer for sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts