Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rifle is old bolt action repeater...wood stock...dog leg bolt...folding rear leaf sight....Williams windage dial adjustable base...4X NATO scope (Japan)..is this a 1917 Rem ??.........seems to function well......stamped...
'Eddystone' 1917 S/N 1278XXX

·
Registered
460 Posts
Sounds like a it.

Very strong (hard steel) actions. They were made by several companies. Eddystone, Remington and a few others. I have one that is a 300 Win Mag now. That took a bit of work, but it shoots real good at groups well under an inch.

Have other things been modernized on it?... like the ears for the old sights ground off and a cock on open kit vs. the originals that cocked when the bolt was closed and trigger replaced?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Yep, that's a 1917 Enfield. When the Springfield Armory couldn't make enough 1903s for WW1, they got Winchester, Remington, and Eddystone Arsenal to make up the "Enfields" in .30/06. They had been making them for the British Commonwealth nations in .303 British, before that. They are basically a Mauser design, and are very stout. There is a recurring problem with them breaking extractors a lot, but it was otherwise very sound. Sgt. York carried one (not a Springfield!) in the battle when he won the Medal of Honor.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx guys for the response.....have been soaking/cleaning the barrel today...lots of copper present....hope to get it clean....just happened to have a set of Burris 2 pc bases (#410218) in my stash...that fit the ole '06....screws were a tad short....but dug deeper and found some longer Burris screws...when the weather warms back to 40*....I'll mount a scope/load some ammo and try her out ! Maybe keep it !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts