Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many different calibers do you own in the AR platform. The good, bad, and beautiful about them.I have .204 Ruger, and (5) .223"s but am looking at either a 6.5 Grendel or a 6mm AR. Whatcha got? O C

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
My ARs are toys, I don't use them for serious hunting or social purposes. I have one for home defense but mainly my handguns do that job. My ARs therefore have to be cheap to shoot so I have two .223 uppers, one 9x19 upper and one .22LR upper. The .22 and 9x19 uppers go on just about every recreational shooting trip.
________
macintosh games

·
Registered
270 Posts
AR calibers

I just found another 223 in my safe, damn things keep multiplying. With that one, I almost have too many, almost.
With all the ARs I have, I can't think of one that I really don't need.

One of my favorites is one of last years builds, a 6.8 with a Noveske (Pac-Nor) barrel and Magpul 93B stock and some other neat options. This thing shoots clover leafs @ 100 yds.

The RRA CAR A4 9mm with free float tube and Eotech is a close 2nd, everyone that likes ARs will love an AR 9mm. Great for when you want to have fun without alot of noise and inexpensive to shoot. This would make a neat 100 yd. calling gun

204 Ruger, I've owned one previously and sold it, I'm in the process of having another one put together. This will be a dedicated PD gun, along with any other vermin that gets in the way.

223s, what can I say, economical, accurate out to 400 yds. low recoil. Everyone needs ___________________________________-well, you fill in the blanks

For my next caliber, not really sure. What I have now suits me well, for now.....

·
Registered
861 Posts
I've got one in .223, and one in .17 Remington.

ThJudg (Roger)

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Have 2, an HBAR and a CAR-15, both A-2's. I have had a new lower sitting in the safe for 2+ years until I make up my mind - which is leaning toward a pistol caliber. i would like a 10mm, or 45ACP, but practicality will probably have the 9x19 win out. MM's idea of a dedicated 22lr upper is very good. I have an M261 conversion, but it just isn't the same.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
My AR's

Currently, I have a .243WSSM, a 6.8 SPC, a .50 XS (my wildcat that my daughter named) and a shot-out .223 (5.56 nato) Upper
There isen't much I can't use them for in Wisc...

Steven

·
Registered
423 Posts
mine are all .223 but i've got the urge for a pistol caliber.....probably 9mm...but i do have an extra barrel assembly,bolt and handguard so might go ahead with another .223.I wouldn't really have much use for anything larger than .223 on the AR platform....

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Er.... several .223s, one 9X19, and a .22. I MAY break down and try 6.8 eventually, but I rather doubt it. I was initially very interested in 6.5 Grendel, but they screwed up and decided to keep it proprietary (read EXPENSIVE!!). I'll pass.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I guess I've got it bad. I've got: .17 Remington, .204 Ruger, working on my first 20 Tactical, several .223's, 6 x 45, 6mm PPC, 6mm WOA, .223 WSSM, .243 WSSM, .25 WSSM, 6.8 SPC, 10mm.

·
Registered
37 Posts
AR-15 rifles come and go regularly around here ...

Just when I thought I only had 223 rifles left, I noticed the 50 Beowulf and DPMS M4 22lr. Past residents included several 223/5.56, two 9mm, one 243 WSSM and two close relatives by DPMS (308 24" and 16").

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dtech, I stand in reverent amazement. You be DA MAN!! Which one would you pick if you wanted to sneak out to a club match and impress the BR wannabe's? O C

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
Well I have a DTech .257WSSM (that's what it should be called anyway), 3 .223's and a .308. I shoot them all. The .223's I will pare down, but I just can't yet... I can't decide which one to alter! My first was a Colt Competition HBAR Match that can get 1/2 MOA with handloads. I have two shorter M4 types, but both have heavy barrels. One of them will have to be rebarelled with a high grade but thinner barrel for easy carry in the bush.

Hey D-Tech... you got any 18" match grade barrels? Either sporter size or heavy flutes? My next caliber will be .458 SOCOM. I have decided on it rather than the Beowulf because of better ballistics and huge range of bullet choices.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Dtech, I stand in reverent amazement. You be DA MAN!! Which one would you pick if you wanted to sneak out to a club match and impress the BR wannabe's? O C
LOL! For short-range simple accuracy it is really tough to do better than the 6 x 45. I have won more matches and turkeys with the 6 x 45 then all of the others put together. The .243 and .25 WSSM are both capable of very fine accuracy, but they are more expensive to shoot.

Mark, I have 106 pounds of stainless, match barrel on their way from Shilen at this time. Oh ya, I did an ultra-light .25 WSSM barrel the other day. The whole gun should come in at a little over 6 pounds. Should be a great hog gun!

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Dtech, are you aware of anyone who has built a 7.62x25 Tokarev in an AR? Just thinking it is a pistol caliber that is very fast in a pistol, and might be even neater in an AR.

·
Registered
46 Posts
TinMan, I can't say that I know of anyone doing it. That in no way means it isn't being done, only that I don't know of anyone.

For many years I have kept my nose to the grindstone, as it were, and didn't take the time to try anthing new. Well, that's coming to an end. I just ordered a bunch of new reamers and am going to try and spend some time this winter doing some wildcats on the AR. Trouble is, I never seem to get to do any real shooting with them. I got two deer this year, one with the 6 x 45 and the other with an ultra-light 6.8 that I built. That was the extent of my shooting......Two shots! I would like to go prairie dog hunting this summer with one of my brand-new .20 Tacticals.......we'll see......

·
Registered
794 Posts
Well...........

I have three lowers...I have a Colt Lightweight Sporter with the standard Colt upper and a 16" bull barrel DPMS upper. Then I have a Colt Sporter in 7.62X39 which also has a DPMS upper, a 20" bull barrel. Then I have a Bushmaster which has a medium wieght 16" Hart barrel and a second upper for it which has a 22" medium Hart barrel. I like the 16" Hart barrelled upper for calling because it is so easy to handle and light weight. All of the uppers except the 7.62 are .223. The DPMS uppers with the bull barrels are heavy for carrying very much, even the 16". So in reality I have 3 lowers with 6 uppers. Both of the Colt uppers have the carry handle and all the others are flat tops.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I am an AR fan and all of mine are 223's
#1 Colt M4 LE
#2 Armalite DCM competition rifle
#3 RRA lower with a 24inch Armalite flat top varminter.

I have had others, but those I sold a while back.
I would be interested in rebarrelling the 24inch varminter as a 20 Tac someday in the future. I just need to shoot out the barrel on it first.
Ken

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey dtech

What ar do you have in a .204? Ihave several .223`s but after I bought my cz in .204 I really have an itch for a .204 I have been looking at DPMS, thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Dtech

I got two deer this year, one with the 6 x 45 and the other with an ultra-light 6.8 that I built. That was the extent of my shooting......Two shots! I would like to go prairie dog hunting this summer with one of my brand-new .20 Tacticals.......we'll see......

Just sent my scope Friday 1/12/07 for you to camo dip along with my new AR you are building. I hope you get some more time to hunt this year :)D :D after you finish my AR :D :D ). Only difficulty I am having is that I haven't received my first AR (.223) from you yet and I already have about 6 more picked out that I want you to build!!! BTW have you ever built one in .300 Whisper??? I have been coveting a Whisper, .204, couple of WSSM's. In MS it is possible to get a supressor and I can't think of much cooler than a .300 Whisper supressed:cool: :cool:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes, I have built several of the .300 Fireball's. No where near as popular as the WSSM line or the 6 x 45, but there is a following.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts