Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all, I’m looking for some info to aid in my AR build. I’m looking to purchase a complete upper for my AR lower specifically for varmint hunting. I’m going to stick to 223 but I am trying to narrow down the endless possibilities of manufacture, barrel length, twist rate. The lower is a forged Fulton Armory with a Rock River NM trigger group and a Magpul PRS adjustable stock.

I’m thinking 20” or 22” in 1 in 8.

Advise please…

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Are you looking for a bench rifle or a walking varminter. I have a varmint AR I put together in 2016, but wanted control the cost of the whole rifle. It has a 24" fluted SS heavy Shaw barrel with 11° target crown, free floated tubular Al forearm. I wanted a 1:8 barrel at the time, but had to settle for the 1:9. The lower is a RRA LAR15, and I put a Jewell 2 stage AR trigger in it. The initial pull is 2.5lbs and the final pull 1.5lbs. I think Jewell stopped making that trigger. I used a standard A2 stock and a Badger Ordinance charging handle. The rifle shoots great, and typically uses 40 to 69gr bullets, usually 40-50gr Vmax. . You might go a bit heavier if you have a 1:8. With a 6x-20x scope, the rifle is pretty heavy, like a decent bench rifle. I also have a 20"HBAR and two 16" carbine ARs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m thinking more of a bench gun, distance shooting of prairie dogs and the like. However, I’d like to have the option of taking it on a coyote hunt too but I have bolt guns for that. My bolt gun 223 is a Mossberg MVP…24” 1 in 8 and it only likes 75’s or 77’s which I’m ok with for the long range stability but I’m researching my options.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
My 24" Varmint AR is meant to be a bench gun.

Years ago, got all my buddies 223 Remington and 5.56x45 chambered rifles and actually chronographed (Shooting Chrony) everything we had using 55gr FMJ NATO/GI ammo. Several barrel lengths from 8" to 26" regardless of action type. The regression results said 29fps per inch of difference. So that info may help you make any length decisons. Good luck.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Interesting as I have been pondering the same. I won’t be shooting over 55 grain bullets, so I am leaning 1-12” twist.
I want all the velocity available, so 26”. Also want enough weight to see my impacts, so a bull contour.

A stiff no flex hand guard is a must.

I want an AR to shoot as well as a bolt gun.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
I forgot one more thing. For me, it was critical to put a level on the Picatinney rail. I found an inexpensive one from B-Square. As tall and the rifle is with a scope and the pistol grip, it was very easy for me to cant the rifle, especially for long shots. Hence the level.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts