Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
12,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably NOT what you're thinking.

Is it wrong that I was searching for this recipe while at the Dr's office waiting to get yelled at for high cholesterol?🤣🤣🤣

Don't worry, I'm making them for the guys at the office tomorrow. Although I may eat one or two.👍

Jalapeño peppers halved, seeds removed and soaked in Sprite for a half hour to take some heat out.

Filling: cream cheese, extra sharp shredded cheese, Italian sausage browned and crumbled, and my top secret rub.

Stuff the peppers and wrap in a half piece of bacon and dust with more rub. I'm smoking them on my GMG smoker on 220. Will take about 3 hours. (I'm going to do them 2-2.5 tonight and reheat on a grill at work tomorrow for 20-30 minutes.

Food Ingredient Recipe Staple food Cuisine

Food Frying pan Recipe Ingredient Cookware and bakeware

Always have a rope of sausage on when the smoker is hot!

1.5 hours in. Looking yummy and smells incredible.

Food Ingredient Recipe Home appliance Animal product

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I like the way you think Charlie. I’ve made those before (except for your secret spice) and they are delicious. I don’t soak the jalapeños either. You like jalapeños, try cutting them in half, seed them, and fill the halves with peanut butter. I’m not crazy, but it is good. No grilling required.

·
Administrator
12,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I love them but just can't do the hot pepper thing much anymore. Lately my hot pepper fix is in the form of a Jalapeño Mule from Mason Dixon Distillery.🍸

2 hours seems to be about how long it takes for these on my smoker at 220. Soon as they cool I'm going to try one!

Food Ingredient Recipe Animal product Outdoor grill rack & topper

The verdict is in. OMG these are good! No heat at all. I can't believe the Sprite, cheese and maple bacon took all the heat out. These were nasty hot raw! I had one spray in my eye cutting the seeds out and dang near killed me.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
The peanut butter does the same thing

·
Registered
75 Posts
I like jalapeño’s but they don’t like me. Be dragging my butt on the carpet like a wormy dog, lol. Even the jalapeño jelly messes with me.

·
Registered
9,864 Posts
So I gave 'em a try but with significant handicaps. First, I don't have a smoker and second, if I knew what Charlie's secret rub is it wouldn't be a secret and I would've used it. Instead I used a generic lemon pepper spice while browning the medium hot sausage. Split and removed seeds and soaked the peppers in Sprite for exactly a while. Filled with browned sausage, cream cheese, shredded sharp cheddar, bacon wrapped. Baked (remember, no smoker) at 250 for a couple of hours or something near that. Then broiled on HI for 5 minutes to finish off the bacon. Probably wouldn't need to do that if I had a smoker. Did I mention............ uh, never mind. They were delicious and not pepper-hot at all. This is clearly the quick-and-dirty version but I'll be doing 'em again......soon!

·
Administrator
12,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not much to the rub. Brown sugar, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, black pepper, kosher salt. Glad you liked them!

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Not much to the rub. Brown sugar, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, black pepper, kosher salt. Glad you liked them!
I just KNOW you got Chilli Powder in there Charlie....maybe That's the secret.
Charlie would make a good Messican.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts