Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Over the next few days we will be implementing some changes to our forum password strength and password expiration policies. To make sure you continue having the best experience possible on the community, we regularly monitor the site and the Internet to keep everyone's account information safe. We've recently become aware of a potential risk to some accounts coming from outside of this community. Just to be safe, we are implementing the following changes to improve security even further:

1) We are asking everyone to change their passwords (and will force a one time reset). Along with every user on the forum, new passwords will need to be more complex, and can't be simple words (sorry, you can't have "fluffy" as your password anymore!). Please use a password unique to this community. Reusing passwords can expose your account indirectly when other websites (Twitter, Linkedin, Badoo, etc) are compromised; and

2) Your passwords will expire on a 365 day basis. When you login on the 366th day, you will have to change it.

We'll also be sending out an email to users to let them know about the changes, in upcoming weeks.

Thanks all,

Helena

Community Management

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
Hey Admin

So I read this post and changed my password. Now I have to log-in every time I come here. The "Remember Me" function doesn't remember me! Is that what you intended?

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Why is it there is someone always tending to my business,
and thinks they know more about it than I do. Reminds
me of the government. I've had the same password
ever since I have been on this board and it has worked just fine.
Someone is always fixing things that arent broke. LARRY D SCOTT
:mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Administrator
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I read this post and changed my password. Now I have to log-in every time I come here. The "Remember Me" function doesn't remember me! Is that what you intended?
Hey there,

That sounds like it's pulling an old cookies. Try clearing your browsers cache and that should clear up the issue.

As for fixing things that ain't broke, we're just trying to be proactive and help members help themselves. Unfortunately a lot of people use the same password across a lot of platforms and that leaves them and the site vulnerable.

Dayle

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Thanks but I dont need any help. Every time someone on other boards
decided I needed my password changed for security reasons,
it turned out to be a disaster for me. I have been here since the late 90s
w/the same pass word and NOT ONE PROBLEM, so dont create one for me. LDS

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
Next

Hey there,

That sounds like it's pulling an old cookies. Try clearing your browsers cache and that should clear up the issue.

Dayle
Well Dayle, that didn't work. Got any more suggestions?

·
Administrator
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well Dayle, that didn't work. Got any more suggestions?
Doug, can you check to see if your browser is set up to allow cookies?

Larry, this will be for all members. There is no way to set an exception.

Dayle

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
It is now

Doug, can you check to see if your browser is set up to allow cookies?

Dayle
It wasn't but it is now and it still doesn't work. It worked until you "fixed" it.

I got the email resetting my password and have been through that dance. I hope this is worth the trouble when/if it ever gets squared away. 10 freakin' character password!

Hey Admin. OK, we'll get the password mess you created figured out sooner or later but fix the damned thing so we don't have to sign in every time we want to get on the board. That's my two cents but I know it's shared.

·
Administrator
1,748 Posts
I am with Doug

Please get it working the way it was. I can live with a new password, but please make it work the way it should.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
My bung still hurts from having Windows 10 shoved on my systems against my wishes. I am still sorting out that mess.
Now this!

·
Administrator
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey all,

Is it that you are not remembered when you leave, and come back to the site a time later? Or are you being logged off while in the middle of reading a thread?

Is your password saved with your browser's remember function, or only on the site?

Is your browser set up to clear browsing history every time you close the window or other frequency? If so, check your settings that you are not also clearing "site preferences" as that affects the 'remember me' functions.

Thanks,
Dayle

·
Administrator
12,017 Posts
Dayle, although I'm having no issues, I know there are several members who switched emails, didn't update their profiles and never got the password reset email from you. Now they are locked out. A sticky on the open topic forum...better yet ALL forums with a little more warning would have prevented almost all of this mess. I'm admittedly on here way too much and never noticed any of these forum posts.

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
Password

Dayle. I am having issues with this site not remembering my password. This started when I had to change my password. Never had it happen before. I have not changed any settings. This happens only on this site. No problem on the other forums I frequent.

·
Administrator
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey there,

I understand your frustrations, so I have made an announcement on the site located at the top of the page throughout the whole forum.

As mentioned, please use the Contact Us link if you are still having issues with the password email.

Richard.

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
Where

Hey there,

I understand your frustrations, so I have made an announcement on the site located at the top of the page throughout the whole forum.

As mentioned, please use the Contact Us link if you are still having issues with the password email.

Richard.
Sorry, Richard. I don't see any announcement other than the original ones in this section.

·
Administrator
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey there,

We have posted to the sites letting users know how to go about changing their passwords. There are a few things that may have happened:
1) the email address wasn’t the current one you use
2) the email is getting blocked by spam or ending up in your junk folder.

If you have not received the password reset email, go to the site and use the password reset tool in the log in window. If this still is not working for you, please go to the contact us page at the bottom right hand corner of the screen and select the “other” field and insert the subject “password reset issue” .

sorry for the trouble. we are sorting out all the issues as they come in. thanks all!

~Shane

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
Progress

What do you know! Got a PM from Admin which helped me along.......a little. I still have to log in every time I come here but the site now remembers my password! I had to change a setting within my browser but I'm still scratching my head as to why I never had to do this before. Close, but no cigar.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts