Varmint Hunters Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
What do you know! Got a PM from Admin which helped me along.......a little. I still have to log in every time I come here but the site now remembers my password! I had to change a setting within my browser but I'm still scratching my head as to why I never had to do this before. Close, but no cigar.
Hey doug,

What browser are you using? You can set it to remember your passwords so you dont' have to type in your password everytime.

Lee

·
Registered
9,242 Posts
Wow!

Hey doug,

What browser are you using? You can set it to remember your passwords so you dont' have to type in your password everytime.

Lee
Lee

Considering the fact that you guys are in the communications business, y'all don't talk to each other much do you? I've told several of your people I'm using Mozilla FireFox. And, if you'd read the post you quoted, you'd already know I found the setting that allows the site to remember my password. However, that's only half the battle. I've been coming here for years and never had to log in after joining and logging in the first time. All I had to do was open the forum and I was logged in. You changed that. You've prevented long time members from logging in. You've run long time members away! You (collectively) have been pretty damned unresponsive as far as I can tell. There has been precious little, if any, explanation as to why this was done in the first place. One might even assume nobody there cares. Yes, some guys are not having any issues but I think it's safe to say we all wish you had left well-enough alone. Let me close by sharing an explanation of how I feel about the forum and what you've done to it. Hopefully, this will give you a better understanding...............You showed up at the family reunion uninvited and pissed in the punch bowl!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Passwords

This is simply a chat room. There's no need to have 10 letter complex passwords just to post. It's not as though someone is actually going to attempt to gain access to my account. I could understand if there were financial transactions involved but there's not.

·
Administrator
1,695 Posts
Doug, that is the best analogy

I was among the very lucky ones who got the email change order. I have not changed my email in several years. I was getting tired of changeing addy every time my internet provider changed something so got a hotmail address and have used it ever since.

·
Administrator
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Lee

Considering the fact that you guys are in the communications business, y'all don't talk to each other much do you? I've told several of your people I'm using Mozilla FireFox. And, if you'd read the post you quoted, you'd already know I found the setting that allows the site to remember my password. However, that's only half the battle. I've been coming here for years and never had to log in after joining and logging in the first time. All I had to do was open the forum and I was logged in. You changed that. You've prevented long time members from logging in. You've run long time members away! You (collectively) have been pretty damned unresponsive as far as I can tell. There has been precious little, if any, explanation as to why this was done in the first place. One might even assume nobody there cares. Yes, some guys are not having any issues but I think it's safe to say we all wish you had left well-enough alone. Let me close by sharing an explanation of how I feel about the forum and what you've done to it. Hopefully, this will give you a better understanding...............You showed up at the family reunion uninvited and pissed in the punch bowl!
Hi Doug,

first, let me apologise for the trouble you went through to recover your account. It's been a long month for all the users who are having this issue, we have sent out emails and posted a notification as why we needed to push the password changes. This was a legal order, if a site has been breached, our first response would be to make sure all users are aware and need to change their password.
While you might think that this is just a forum and maybe some of you are using unique emails and usernames, however we do have many other users who use the same password and email for everything they do including personal banking and other private things.

We have several users working on one account, so that is one account for all the other forums that we maintain. The reason being is that if we were to have individual accounts, that would mean up to 10 different admins for every forum. this would lead to a lot of confusion for users and our team since we would not be able to follow up fluidly. If everything was posted in one thread instead of 3 different threads, then the next person on my team reading this thread will know what to do and what has already been resolved instead of being confused as to why there's so many open threads for password issues.

as for us being unresponsive, we are only subscribed to this thread:
http://www.varminthunters.com/forum/showthread.php?p=876873#post876873

the website help and technical assistance forum is connected to our notifications pool which will notify us whenever someone needs technical help on the forum. We are also responding in Private Messages and in one Moderator's forum section.

if you post outside of the forum sections that I've mentioned then we would not have been notified. I noticed that there were several in your post statistics.

now, for your firefox password saving issue. this is a known case for firefox. they are known to be a little confused when updating saved passwords. So, if you clear your cache and cookies and log in again, and save the new updated password. You shouldn't have this issue anymore.

To end this, if you know anyone that is having issues logging in or changing their passwords, you can send this account a PM with their email and username and we can help them out.

Thank you everyone for your patience!

Lee

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the reason for this breach has been posted in the blue notice sign. but no one seems to have clicked on it. Its safe! Just links to our VerticalScope site.

·
Registered
9,242 Posts
OK

Hi Doug,

............................................. This was a legal order, if a site has been breached, our first response would be to make sure all users are aware and need to change their password.
Is the information we got about the breach occurring in February correct? If so, your "first response", which was posted here on June 17th, was pitiful.

·
Administrator
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Is the information we got about the breach occurring in February correct? If so, your "first response", which was posted here on June 17th, was pitiful.
The first response was based on the recommendation from the authorities, as there's an ongoing investigation with law enforcement.

Kyle

·
Registered
9,242 Posts
No answer

The first response was based on the recommendation from the authorities, as there's an ongoing investigation with law enforcement.

Kyle
OK. You addressed your poor response. How about answering the question. Did the breach occur in February or not? And, if it did, who's responsible for the 4 month delay before we were notified?

·
Administrator
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
OK. You addressed your poor response. How about answering the question. Did the breach occur in February or not? And, if it did, who's responsible for the 4 month delay before we were notified?
So far all investigations lead to it being one of our third party developers, several of them have separate versions of our user tables (mobile apps, chats newsletters etc). We didn't know it had happened until the people behind the first article contacted us in June about the issue before they put it out. We didn't tell you because we weren't informed that they'd been hit and scraped.

Kyle

·
Registered
9,242 Posts
OK

So far all investigations lead to it being one of our third party developers, several of them have separate versions of our user tables (mobile apps, chats newsletters etc). We didn't know it had happened until the people behind the first article contacted us in June about the issue before they put it out. We didn't tell you because we weren't informed that they'd been hit and scraped.

Kyle
I'll take that as a "Yes, it occurred in February but we didn't know about it until June".

·
Administrator
1,695 Posts
I am one of the lucky ones

I was able to salvage my stuff because I had not changed email addy. It seems like a common curtiousiy to the members here to give them some help in recovering their lost stuff. This group of people who have been operating this forum make their living off of people like us. It would seem that decentsiy would make them want to help our members who have had all the trouble caused by a laps of the trust the we as members have placed in you. You have let us down big time and it should be your mission to help us, even though you caused this problem by you laps of safeguard, you are now making it impossible for members here to regain their lost material. Shame on you, if we stay it will be up to you and your effort to help the members. I am sure that you dumped this load of crap on other forums as well but your efforts should be to help not make it harder for us to stay around.

·
Administrator
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
We have lucky helped many members on the site get back into their accounts.

If any one is still having issues logging into your accounts please let us know by going to this page http://www.varminthunters.com/forum/sendmessage.php

Please tittle it password reset and provide us with your old username and email associated with your account and we can help you log in to your account and help with the password reset.

Thank you so much :)

~ Glenda

·
Registered
278 Posts
I didn't have problems getting password changed and logged back in. This is reminiscent of when the board went from the old format where all the topics were stacked to the current format. A ton of good members left and never came back because of a visual change - I'm afraid it will be worse now.

And, by the way, having to watch the progressive or pharmaceutical commercial to get the code to prove I'm not a bot is enough to drive me away.

·
Administrator
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I didn't have problems getting password changed and logged back in. This is reminiscent of when the board went from the old format where all the topics were stacked to the current format. A ton of good members left and never came back because of a visual change - I'm afraid it will be worse now.

And, by the way, having to watch the progressive or pharmaceutical commercial to get the code to prove I'm not a bot is enough to drive me away.
The captcha system is random generated. Sometimes it's vid ads, some times just pictures, some times just words.

Kyle

21 - 36 of 36 Posts