Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a great time with son and one grandson. A week camping about a 100 yards from the continental divide trail SE of Chama, NM. We arrived and set up camp on Wednesday afternoon, Spent Thursday scouting the area and enjoying the weather and scenery, Checked trail cameras that son had set up couple of weeks ago while he was in area archery hunting. Grandson and son were all about calling early mornings and stalking. Spent Friday setting up blind in a meadow where I was going to hunt evenings.
I took the two of them to top of mountain Sat (1st day) and let them out. When it got light enough to see they set out. I took the Ranger and headed to the bottom of the mountain to wait on them. About 3 hours later they show up and we headed back to camp for breakfast. About 3:30 we headed to my blind. We let grandson out on edge of a meadow about a mile from the blind.
I made it to the blind and son set up to watch the show. About 5 PM grandson comes hoofing it down the draw where we were set up and says "I shot one and can't find a good blood trail."
Son and him hike back to Ranger and go to look for his elk. Son said might be dark thirty before we get back. Laughed at him and said I won't get lost. Off they go. They had been gone maybe 20 minutes when a bull walks out below my blind. I watched him for a while (Tall 3x3) and was going to let him pass. Then I remembered the last big bull I shot was so gamey that couldn't hardly stay in the house when cooked some of it. Wifey had told me "don't you bring home another big bull.. SO I pulled the trigger on him. Heard the "whop" and down he goes. Watched where he went down till just about "no see" time, and the sucker gets up and goes into the trees. Well durn....
Too late to trail now. About 30 minutes later they return and tell me they had jumped grandson's bull and took off. They decided to wait till morning to look for him. I just told them sounded like a plan to me. Son says "did you hear a shot over by you?" Told hum "Yup, I heard it. Sounded awfully close."
So we head back to camp. Up the next morning and back to look for grandson's elk. Took about 30 minutes and son tracked him down and found him, Average size 5x5 and grandson was a happy camper with his first bull elk. Got him quartered and packed back to Ranger. Son was driving and headed back towards camp. Tod him "If you boys are feeling OK let's go look for my elk". The look on their faces was priceless. LOL. So I explain to them what happened and told them, I didn't want then to lose any sleep about having to look for 2 elk the next day.
Got back to the blind and showed them where the bull had went into the trees. Off they go again and in about 15 minutes son walks back into sight and gives me thumbs up,. They tracked down, quartered, and had both elk back to camp by noon.
And YES, this old man had a blast in elk camp with son and one of my twin grandsons (the other twin and his wife just had my first great-grandbaby about 3 weeks ago, so he got a pass this year).
If the good Lord sees fit, I'll try it again next year. Now back to the real world. First bunch of deer hunters for the year come in this weekend, and very few free days till first of the year.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
I am glad you had a successful hunt and everyone had a great time together.

·
Premium Member
4,667 Posts
Sounds like a damn good time was had and as a bonus you got some elk! Good story thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
WOW!

All I got on your great hunt with son and grandson...thanks for taking us along.

Stay safe.

Best
Dave

·
Registered
8,699 Posts
Bruce, a really great memory was made. Relaxed ime with two generations and smiles all around. A terrific story. Be proud of those boys. Kudos

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

My elk, me and grandson, Bray
IMG_1265.JPG

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Grandson's elk

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

My son, Justin and grandson, Bray

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I've bought new pickups that didn't cost this much....and it was used, 2020 model and it had 6 1/2 miles on it.....
older gentleman bought it and parked it in garage.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Thanks for posting the photos. Beautiful country but looks like it needs a rain. Nice to meet y'all. JR

1 - 20 of 20 Posts