Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Was shooting prairie dogs a couple of weeks ago, looking through the rifle scope a Badger snatched a good sized PD in it's mouth and waddled back and carried it down the Badger hole, about 20 years watched long distance as a Badger killed a Bald Eagle that was eating blown up PD's in a dog town.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Very nice rifle! (I'm jealous!:rolleyes:)

I had just set up on a rise overlooking a huge PD patch. I was glassing for activity, and noticed a lot of excited barking and PDs scurrying around more than usual.

Just then, at the edge of my field of view, I caught sight of what looked like someone tossing a shovel full of dust and dirt from inside a PD mound. And, as I focused on the spot, a badger backed out of the hole, hauling a load of loose dirt with him, to sit in a big cloud of dust, back-lit by the sun. He filled the 80x field of view of my spotting scope - about 150 yards away - before disappearing down the hole to resume his excavation.

A couple weeks before, a polo pony boarded on the ranch had broken a foreleg after stepping in presumably a "PD hole". Some PD holes are big enough for a horse to step into far enough to break a leg, but not every one. But, the hole this bad boy badger was reaming out was plenty big enough to be a problem! Anywayz, the rancher specifically asked me to be on the lookout for "whatever" was making the huge holes in the pasture and put an end to whatever it was responsible for the holes.

So, with mixed feelings about it, when Mr. "B" disappeared down that hole, I changed from a spotting scope to one with cross hairs.:rolleyes: I tweaked the parallax on the 220 Swift (supported with a bi-pod), adjusted the bag under the butt, and settled in with the cross hairs focused now on a spot just above the hole. I didn't have to wait long.

Another cloud of back-lit dust erupted from the mound, and when the badger backed out and stopped to look around at the other residents making such a fuss, a V-max was closing the gap is a fraction of a second!

Now, a PD hit with the Swift at that distance would typically erupt (KER WHOP!) into a shower of shredded gourmet lunch for the ever-present hawks and eagles. But, not this big boy. He kept the full measure of that bullet for himself!

The badger's body contained all the usual carnage except for a modest exit hole. The only reaction was his body lifting slightly off the ground and being tossed to lie motionless on its back about a foot away. (It was as tho one had kicked a 30# sack of grain aside of the path.) It reminded me of hitting a big PD with a 25 grain pill from my 17 Mach IV: WHUMP! And, then simply tipping over w/o a twitch - having absorbed all the energy the tiny pill had to offer.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I've asked ranchers for permission to shoot ground squirrels on their property. Usually they say yes but I want you to kill every badger you see. They can really mess up an irrigation system too, causing dikes and roads to wash out. I have shot lots of badgers and hardly ever have a pass through. even with a 6 m/m, 85 gr. HP. Bullet stays inside and that bullet will just about blow a coyote in two pieces. They are tough animals. If you face shoot one it messes them up pretty good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts