Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I usually just lurk on here and read other's posts. Thought I'd post something a little different. My buddy and I have been going out about once a week looking for badgers. We usually get at least one every week. Two weeks ago I got three right on the same mound. This morning I saw one but it was running when I spotted it and got away before I could get on it. My buddy got this one about 8:15 a.m. 111 yds. 22/250, 40 gr. Varmageddon., male, 15.9 lbs. 9 oz. This was his 6th this year, 10 between us. This is how we do it in so. western Idaho.
P1070330.JPG
P1070332.JPG

Registered
I'd like to see a pic or two of teeth and claws next time time allows and notion hits. 馃槉馃槑

Registered
Close up pics would be great to see. Congrats on your "season" so far.

Registered
Those things have an attitude....
I usually get 2-3 a year around the place here and they are tough critters. Nice job.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Spot from the truck usually. We just drive the two tracks looking for them. Most of the times when you see one they've already spotted you and are looking directly at you or running to their hole. You need to get on them and shoot as quick as you can so we usually shoot from the truck window. Sometimes when they get down in a hole if you wait a minute or so they will pop back up. They seem to be kind of a curious animal. If they are running, most of the time when they reach their hole they will pause on the mound and look at you and if you are ready you can get a shot. They will come to a call once in a while, not as readily as a coyote will though. Rabbit or bird distress sounds work pretty well. We have been out calling coyotes and had a badger come in. Right now is there breeding season and they are a little easier to find.

Registered
Here in Wisconsin it's illegal to shoot our state animal.... however.... One night I was coming home at dusk with my Contender in 35 Rem. In the middle of a 600 acre field I saw something digging in the darkness, about 30 yards away. I thought maybe a coon and I surely didnt want it digging in my uncles' field. I decided to shoot a warning shot a few feet to the side of it. It looked up at the shot and I instantly saw it was a badger with his display of the "mask" around his eyes and the glimmering teeth. Then came the surprise. After kicking up a bunch of dirt just to the side of it, and erupting the silence with the thunder of that 35 the darn thing charged me! There I stood doing a speed reload of my single shot! 2/3rds of the way to me two things happened. 1) he must have thought I wasn't worth his effort 2) more importantly, since I had a cartridge sleeve on that pistol, I just finished my reload and had the gun closed and coming up when he showed me his tail. I quietly walked away. I've seen what they can do to an old log with their long claws.

Steven

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
I've never had one charge me. One time I saw one off the side of the road so I stopped and got out my 10/22, all I had with me. As I walked out towards it I realized it was eating an old road killed ground squirrel. When I got within about 20 yds. it started growling and raised the hair on its neck and back. I shot it in the head and it was DRT.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts