Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am of the assumption that barrel length measurement INCLUDES the chamber.

In discussing rifles - especially varmint rifles which typically are on the long side(?), maybe it doesn't matter so much, as the chamber length as a percentage of the overall length is not as much as it is in most pistols; especially in so-called 'pocket pistols'.

So, does the barrel length include the camber or not? I'm not clear. What say you?

Thanks in advance.

Paul.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Probably correct. However, when I list a rifle for sale, I usually do a quick msmnt to the lug and call it good
& that is probably 3/4" short.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Well............

I've always thought it is defined as.....boltface to muzzle.

But then.....I've also "thought" wrong before.....:eek:

Kevin

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I've always thought it is defined as.....boltface to muzzle.

But then.....I've also "thought" wrong before.....:eek:

Kevin
That's the ATF's definition, at any rate.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:

I found this on (where else?) the WEB: Those that said from the muzzle* to the closed bolt face define what the ATF says.

*IF a device such as a flash suppressor, etc. is "permanently attached" (e.g., staked or welded, silver soldered) to the end of the barrel, then that device too is included in the overall barrel length measurement.

A high-tech way to measure is with a dowel or cleaning rod inserted into the muzzle and pressed against the closed bolt. Mark the rod at the muzzle the measurement between the end of the rod and the mark IS the official barrel length.

I know, I know...most of y'all prolly knew that - myself included. But, I hadn't considered it for a while when someone purporting to being an authority got it wrong and put it out there as fact...which suddenly put me in a:confused: situation. So, thanks to all for putting me back on solid footing!

Merry Christmas, by the way!!

Paul n Ami

·
Administrator
1,695 Posts
I have been working with T/C platform

If you add a flash suppressor or muzzle brake or any other device that is permanently attached it is counted as barrel length. Because permanently adding length to a 14" pistol barrel to make it at least 16 inches then makes that barrel legal for a rifle.

Consider a revolver though: in everything I can think of the barrel length includes the chamber except a revolver. The barrel length is just that, the barrel length.

·
Registered
511 Posts
If you add a flash suppressor or muzzle brake or any other device that is permanently attached it is counted as barrel length. Because permanently adding length to a 14" pistol barrel to make it at least 16 inches then makes that barrel legal for a rifle.

Consider a revolver though: in everything I can think of the barrel length includes the chamber except a revolver. The barrel length is just that, the barrel length.
Maybe just like a threaded brake or suppressor, it is not included because a revolver chamber isn't permanent?????

1 - 9 of 9 Posts