Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a good shooter and was wondering how many rounds a 22 will take before the barrel wears out? I would think with the lead rounds going slow it would last a long time. What should I expect? Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Article in Precision Shooting

several years ago cited around 30,000 rounds for the standard three position or prone match shooting accuracy. I think they may have included rotating the barrel 180° halfway through. For a normal plinker or squirrel hunter, I doubt you could ever shoot one out. Incorrect cleaning techniques, neglect or other mistreatment is another issue. If I remember right, the author was Bill Calfee, one of the premiere 22lr master gunsmiths.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
You will not shoot out your .22 barrel, the rimfire doesnt generate enough heat to do any damage. A .22 barrel should last the life of yourself, you son and your grandson, at least. Most are ruined by excessive cleaning with improper equipment by folks who dont know what they are doing. Clean less, shoot more :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Frankly, I've never worn out the barrel of a .22LR.

During my high school, college years and early married life, I actively shot an ancient Mark I Martini smallbore rifle in gallery shooting. Goodness knows how many rounds the Martini had seen before I bought it, but I shot at least a case of Winchester Ez-Xs (5,000 rounds) per year through it. That would make at least 50,000 rounds down the bore...on my watch. And I sold the rifle for twice what I bought it for.

I also have a Remington Nylon 66 that I bought with two cases of Remington Hi-Speed ammo (10,000 rounds). The ammo is all gone and the rifle is still shooting well.

Dare I admit that I've never cleaned the bore of the Remington?:eek: And, dare I admit that I've seldom cleaned the bore of any .22LR I've owned?:eek: :eek:

In answer to your question: A long, long time. The barrel will prolly be shooting well for many years after you sell the rifle.

Steve

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys!

I doubt that it will ever get sold. I wish I could up load the group I shot a 100 yards today with it but its to large of a file. 3 bullets all touching. CZ 452 with pentax 3X9 and CCI HP ammo. The best thing? My Girlfriend bought it for me!!!!!!!

·
Registered
488 Posts
The probability of damage being done with improper cleaning is much more than just shooting.:D

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
I doubt that it will ever get sold. I wish I could up load the group I shot a 100 yards today with it but its to large of a file. 3 bullets all touching. CZ 452 with pentax 3X9 and CCI HP ammo. The best thing? My Girlfriend bought it for me!!!!!!!
She got a sister??:D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The gun or the girl.....Ha ha ha. She is the only girl with three brothers. As to the gun? I think my brother has my guns sister. His 452 shoots as good as this one! Man CZ makes a good firearm!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Shoot it and enjoy it.

Yup, you'll probably do more damage in cleaning than any amount of shooting. Besides the two rifles that I sited above, I have a really nice .22LR that the guys are Kimber of Oregon built for me. Actually, it's about as gorgeous a rimfire and any of us will ever see or own. It was a reward for working out problems with rifles under warranty and test-firing Kimber protypes. My rifle's serial number is "Steve's .22" and it is one of the Brownell Edition rifles, with a Mannlicher stock (full figure and fiddleback the full lenth of the stock and on both side). In short, an incredible rifle.

"Steve's .22" has never, ever been cleaned. It's killed prolly 10,000 gophers and other creepy-crawlies that desperately needed killing...but it's never been cleaned.

Steve

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well what tears it up from cleaning? The rods I use are brass. Is it best to clean from the back end of the gun after I remove the bolt?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
My plant manager at works shoots Calfee built guns at rimfire Benchrest (ARA). I know he's rebarrelled a couple of rifles at times, using Lilja tubes (Steve Turner is his name, he's on Lilja's website as winning something or other, he's pretty good). Wearing out a rimfire tube (for his purposes, anyway) CAN be done, or Steve wouldn't spend the coin to replace the barrels. For us normal people, since they invented noncorrosive priming, it's pretty hard to wear one out. I DO have an old M24 Remington gallery gun, .22 short only, that has seen better days, and could probably use a new pipe.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Well what tears it up from cleaning? The rods I use are brass. Is it best to clean from the back end of the gun after I remove the bolt?
Well, first of all, it is a CZ, so it has a tight bore. DO NOT fool around trying to use a regular .22 rod in it. If you must clean it, get a good one piece coated rod, Dewey make a good one, in 17 caliber or 20 caliber. Get a good bore guide and use it, Possum Hollow #92 from Brownell's, among others. And yes, absolutely clean from the breech end. You should never need to use a brush, just a few wet patches and dry patch until clean and dry. And you dont need to do that very often.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have seen match rifles with hundreds of thousands and some possibly MILLIONS of rounds through them that still shot incredibly well. These were from high school rifle teams that were done away with when guns somehow became evil in the last few decades.
I bought a Remingtom 40-X target rifle from a school team that shut down (same reasons). I calculate that it has a minimum of 200,000 rounds through it, and probably twice that.

The chamber is impecable, and the gun shoots as well as my Anschutz target rifle.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I wouldn't use a rod at all

I have a Volquartsen barrel on my 10-22 and the "approved" way to clean it is to hang a patch on a piece of lawn trimmer line and gently pull the patch thru the barrel - no rods-no brushes. The guys at rimfire central (a great .22 info site) say that it may take 100 or so rounds to get a good 22 barrel "back to accurate" after even a gentle cleaning.

·
Registered
826 Posts
The priming compound in a rimfire has glass in it...

and the does errode the throat. I built a ruger 10- 22 with a Rem 40x barrel installed on it with a match reamer that very slightly engraved the bullet as it was chambered. After about 5000 rounds, the bullets are not slightly engraved anymore, in fact I can not see land marks at all. It will still put 10 shots of Green Tag in the same hole at 75 yards, but obviously there is some wear going on. I really abused the gun in N. Ca and N. Nevada shooting ground squirrels.

The biggest thing that destorys accuracy in a rim fire is copper/lead fouling from bullet speeds in excess of 1250 fps. All of the plated bullets deposit some lead and copper fouling in the barrel and on the super accurate target rifles, you start to see accuracy drop off after 250 rounds.

Having said that, I clean my 40x barrel ever so often, when I feel like it. I think that a major factor is that the powder fouling can attract moisture.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Allen in ND

I concur with the majority.
Most of my 22's have rarely, if ever seen a patch. I know darn well they have never seen a brush.

I shoot competitive Bullseye and go through 5-10,000 rds a year just in 22lr match ammo. I know of a Hi Standard with nearly, if not over, 500,000 rds that were shot by several Master and Hi Master Bullseye shooters. That one finally got an LSP replacement match barrel.

I recall an article in Precision Shooting a few years back where the author visited the Eley plant in England. They used Anschutz target rifles to test the consistency of their ammo. They did not believe in cleaning the barrels. As previously stated, it just took too long to condition and regulate the bore to where it shoots acceptably again. I quit cleaning bores. The actions, yes.

But, its your dime and your date at the dance. You do what you want.

FWIW

Allen in ND

·
Registered
329 Posts
... After about 5000 rounds, the bullets are not slightly engraved anymore, in fact I can not see land marks at all.
Keith. Maybe your chamber was cut improperly, or the barrel was not set back far enough??

In my 40-X, I still get full engraving and (until I bought it) it was shot every school day since the late 60's on a school rifle team.

I cleaned it when I bought it... haven't cleaned it since.

·
Registered
73 Posts
What tha heck....

I'll be odd man out here and say that I pretty much disagree with most responses here.

Keith is correct, the priming compound is extremely abrasive and will scratch SS.

The second major problem with no cleaning is the buildup of the carbon ring inside the leade and throat. It does have a negative impact on accuracy.

While it is true that cleaning will wearout a barrel, I have seen far too many shooters work a rod like they're trying to fire up their lawn mower. I feel that most of their problems are due to their terrible technique and not the actual concept of cleaning.

But this needs a really, really long winded answer that I don't wanna type out for the 50th time.

So, buy this and it will dispell many of the cleaning myths.

http://www.zediker.com/books/rimfire/rimfiremain.html

·
Registered
392 Posts
and the does errode the throat. I built a ruger 10- 22 with a Rem 40x barrel installed on it with a match reamer that very slightly engraved the bullet as it was chambered. After about 5000 rounds, the bullets are not slightly engraved anymore, in fact I can not see land marks at all. It will still put 10 shots of Green Tag in the same hole at 75 yards, but obviously there is some wear going on. I really abused the gun in N. Ca and N. Nevada shooting ground squirrels.

The biggest thing that destorys accuracy in a rim fire is copper/lead fouling from bullet speeds in excess of 1250 fps. All of the plated bullets deposit some lead and copper fouling in the barrel and on the super accurate target rifles, you start to see accuracy drop off after 250 rounds.

Having said that, I clean my 40x barrel ever so often, when I feel like it. I think that a major factor is that the powder fouling can attract moisture.
You are probably more knowledgeable than I. But, for what it is worth, someone who shot competitively told me to never use copper coated bullets, only lubricated lead bullets. He said to shoot the gun until accuracy falls off, then clean. It will take a few (?) rounds to coat the barrel with lube and fouling to get it back up to its original accuracy.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts