Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just the size of the barrel matter? No pun intended, but does it really matter if you have a heavy barrel or a light weight. My shooting will not be rapid, it will be for ground hogs & coyote so it will havetime to cool.

Brad

·
Registered
270 Posts
Pencil thin barrels can be just as accurate as a varmint weight barrel, only difference is the skinny barrel will heat up faster and tend to lose its accuracy when heated up. But since you are whistle pig and coyote hunting with it you wont have an issue with heating up the barrel. Alot easier to carry around also.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Size always matters.

Brad it sounds like you're wanting a carry/calling rifle. Yes size matters if you are going to packing it. I have several calling rifles. I find that I like the 3 and 4 contour barrels best for this purpose. These lighter barrels still all shoot sub MOA. But my .223 and .220 Swift are both Remington VSSF's a little heavier.

PD rifles I don't worry about weight because I'm not packing them far.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Varmint weight barrels come up slower and swing slower.....

when you are trying to get on moving targets. You have to remember that often you have to follow a yote in your scope for a clear shot, wait for him to slow down, etc. I hunted yotes with a 700 V in both 22/250 and 6mm Rem for years, but when you are in your early 20's you can do more than when you get older. So, a sporter barrel for most people would be better for yote hunting.

As far as shooting chucks, the heavier barrel will help contain some of the sight picture under recoil and maintain accuracy longer due to barrel heat.

If you are having a custom barrel ordered for both purposes, I found that the #6 Contour was perfect for both uses. A #5 would be as small as I would go becauce of barrel whip considerations in accuracy issues, you may get away with a #4 but I don't like that contour.

It is hard to lug around a heavy rifle, not a joy and you always want something else.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like all the great comments it really helps a newbie. I will be doing some walking, sneaking arround so I'm leaning towards a sporter barrel. It will be my luck with my poor calling skillsI will be shooting out passed 400 yards and chasing them in my scope running away from meeeeee!!

Brad

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like all the great comments it really helps a newbie. I will be doing some walking, sneaking arround so I'm leaning towards a sporter barrel. It will be my luck with my poor calling skillsI will be shooting out passed 400 yards and chasing them in my scope running away from meeeeee!!

Brad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.