Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called Bat Machine yesterday asking questions about the 3 lug or 2 lug,and he said that he would suggest the 2 lug for PD shooting and the 3 lug for Bench Rest. Also I ask what barrels they use and he said for PDs he would use LIJA and for Bench Rest he would use Bartlein (sp) This would be chambered in 20 BR.
Some day I would like to shoot Bench Rest/ BBB or Eggs? So I could rebarrel and I think have a rifle to compete.
Your thoughts and ideas would be appreciated. :confused: :confused:
Jack

·
Registered
22 Posts
It seems you suggested an answer to your question as you posed it. IF you want to use a gun for BR or Eggs as well as PDs, then the 3 lug receiver would be good. Then add the Bartlein barrel when you decide to convert over to BR competition. I know a lot of guys are looking at the .30 Bench Rest as a caliber, but that would be too much for PD's. You might consider a 6 mm BR Norma with a 1in 8 or 1 in 10 twist as it would allow you to stabilize heavier bullets that would give you better chances in a BR match. Sure be one heck of a PD gun!!!! I'd also suggest taking a look at the 6mmBR web site.

I'm planning on getting a cooper in 6 BR Norma with a 1 in 10 twist barrel and putting a 6.5X20X40 Leupold with a Varmint hunting reticle.

Good luck ... John C.

·
Registered
12,529 Posts
2 lugg all the way BR and PD

I called Bat Machine yesterday asking questions about the 3 lug or 2 lug,and he said that he would suggest the 2 lug for PD shooting and the 3 lug for Bench Rest. Also I ask what barrels they use and he said for PDs he would use LIJA and for Bench Rest he would use Bartlein (sp) This would be chambered in 20 BR.
Some day I would like to shoot Bench Rest/ BBB or Eggs? So I could rebarrel and I think have a rifle to compete.
Jack
i've had the 3 lugg i'm not impressed.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
If you go with a BAT action it would be hard to argue with following their advice. However, I would be sure I understood the reasoning behind it. Simply because they are the predominant action in use, most records are held by two lug actions. Obviously, speaking generally, two lug actions are more than adequate.

Three or four lug actions seem to offer better support and have always tempted me but I'm not sure that this means anything once beyond the realm of the theoretical. What would it mean if the bolt face canted a few ten-thousandth of an inch when fired? The brass itself gives far more than that during the same time frame.

Hu

Jack

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Hu

Thanks for your input! I will go with the 2 lug. Thanks for everyone's input

·
Registered
189 Posts
Bat Action

Jack
Jack,

This sounds like a question for the shooter on Benchrest.com. They are all BR shooters and use these actions.

Adrian

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Maybe I am wrong here....

...but isn't the primary advantage of a 3-lug only having a 60° bolt throw vs. the 90° of a 2-lug design? This lends itself to "running them" quicker when you get your condition. I have 2 BAT's on my 1000 yard pair, and when I ordered my HG action (2" diameter) I ordered it the same LENGTH as my LG so the bolt cycling motion would be the same between guns. I haven't had a problem getting all my shots off fast enough with the 90° 2-lug design so I would go that route.

EDIT: BAT's are TIGHT tolerance on the bolt/raceway so you may experience binding in a dusty environment (e.g. extended field use).

HTH.

·
Registered
470 Posts
The BAT is a great action....

You will be well served with either the 2 or 3 lug.
I shoot a SV in 20 Duster at pd's and the accuracy is outstanding.
I think my next action purchase will be a 3 lug,just because I'd like to see first hand if the accuracy could be improved on.For pd's dead is dead though
not sure if it would be needed,just think it would be one of the best you could buy.I'm sure you will like the 20BR,it kills dogs way out there.Have fun
sounds like your on a fast track to a good time.

Matt

·
Registered
234 Posts
BAT is in my opinion the best action made. I have the two lugs, and have been very happy with them to say the least. A friend has a 3 lug, I stocked one for him, and the action will ride higher in the stock than a two lug action will. Either one will serve you well, don't believe one is better for a particular type of shooting than the other.

Depending on what case you intend to use, check out some ads, there are some available without a wait.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I feel the only difference is a 3 lug has a little shorter bolt throw. In the long range game a lot of guys run there rounds through as fast as possible befor the conditions change and some prefere this. Haveing played with both I own a 2 lug. I see no difference in the end they both are great actions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts