Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
primers forget it powder forget it bullets now and then but never what ya need lol
been on the list for a forster press for 5 months now for a buddy....but we can not find a new quality press of any kind or dies and i know where to look lol never seen this before.
between the china virus and the political situation ...the perfect storm .

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
Yep...my brother was looking into getting into reloading and was looking for a press.
The Dillion he was wanting was going for $2700 + but he couldnt find 1. Said it was 8 months out if you got it from Dillion. Things are bad and getting worse by the day. We may have to throw rocks at the BBB this year...lol

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Well it ain't like it was a surprise or anything. We been predicting this for several years, but I thought I had more STUFF than I actually did....I forgot that I have shot so much of it. I distinctly remember buying 10 K primers for .99 a hundred but they mostly gone.
I quit going after prairie dogs and don't burn as much now.
I am afraid I will run out when I am 126 yr old..

·
Registered
12,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it ain't like it was a surprise or anything. We been predicting this for several years, but I thought I had more STUFF than I actually did....I forgot that I have shot so much of it. I distinctly remember buying 10 K primers for .99 a hundred but they mostly gone.
I quit going after prairie dogs and don't burn as much now.
I am afraid I will run out when I am 126 yr old..
oh come on you got more than 2 years left buddy

·
Registered
683 Posts
When I went to Dr about putting in IV port for my chemo I asked him which shoulder do they put it in. He said right is usually best. I told him i wanted left. I told him I do “a lot” of shooting. He smiled and said he did too. He said he was having trouble getting Ammo. I told him I figured I would probably have to cut back to about 50 rounds / day. Might get to running low in about 20 years. And, he said your port is going on left side.

Reactions: CarlP and JRinKY

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Best time to buy reloading components is when you don’t need them. If you see a good deal, pick up a little here and there. It pays off big in times like this.

·
Administrator
3,260 Posts
When I started reloading in '72 most everything was dirt cheap and I bought a lot back then. Before I took an early retirement in '03 I tried to buy as many components as I could as I knew I wouldn't have the money I had before. I have two cases of 22lr still that I bought in the early nineties, I have powder, primers, bullets, wads, and shot I bought 20 yrs ago, is everything going to last me the rest of my days? It depends on how long I live and how much I shoot, I don't shoot nearly as much as I use to though.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
My initial PD Safari buddy Don McCutcheon is looking down and just shaking his head. I didn't get to see Don's reloading stash after he died a few years ago, but others have described it here, and apparently it may have rivaled the photos of Francis' that were posted recently. I wish I were as well stocked.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I visited a good friend out in Helena Montana in '08. He said at that time it was the fourth time in his life he'd seen primer/powder/bullets vanish & prices increase accordingly. He'd been reloading since the late 60's.

I've been reloading since '02. I tend to shop for components like I shop for food. Buy in bulk & lay back some in the pantry for tough times.

Additionally, I prefer to store my reloading components in finished ammo. Finished ammo is stored in buckets & full mag. 😇

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I have been loading since late 70's. Since when Bill Clinton was in office, I have been hoarding to some degree. I have about 3 tons of lead put back for casting and access to 2 more tons. I started buying my go to powders in #8 kegs when I could. I could use some more pistol primers, large and small, and a few more small rifle primers. I like Scotts idea of keeping components in the form of loaded ammo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts