Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently logged onto Berger's new web site and didn't see two of my favorite 6mm bullets listed in their .243 offerings. The 71 gr. BT and the 74 gr. FB match bullet. I emailed the customer service email address they had listed waited two days and no reply. I then emailed the Berger head bullet smith and asked if they had been discontinued from their line of bullets .That afternoon I got a reply from Eric from Berger confirming my fear that they had sure enough had dropped both these bullets from the production line. He stated that they just didn't sell that many of them and they had other bullets that would do the job just as good or better. Also, he said that if I wanted some of either bullets and could get a few other's to go in on an order they would make a special run of these bullets just for us . Then he said all we had to order were ..I believe he said 10,000 bullets . When he said that they had been offering this service for many years but no one had ever took them up on it I didn't really have to wonder why. Nice to know though... I guess.
I don't know about you all but I'm going to miss these two bullets especially the 6mm 74 gr. match bullet. I've never seen a rifle that wouldn't shoot these . From the 14" twist 6x47mm (6-222Rem.Mag.) to the 6mm-284's that I have owned shot this bullet really well. I guess time just moves on .

Rodney

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
I got a reply from Eric from Berger confirming my fear that they had sure enough had dropped both these bullets from the production line. He stated that they just didn't sell that many of them and they had other bullets that would do the job just as good or better.
Ya gotta love that response.:rolleyes: I would have serious doubts that Eric ever did any competative shooting or ever worked up a match load, after a comment like that. A gun likes what it likes, and finding another that will do as well is NOT ALWAYS (do I dare say seldom?) so easy to do!

It kinda makes one wonder what it would involve to get into "rolling his own", huh? That's been done too!

P.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Paul here is Eric Stecker's original email response to me dated 1/3/07 .I was pleased that he did at least take time to reply to my email . I think Eric is very good about this.

Rodney,

Yes we have discontinued the 6mm 71 gr BT and 74 gr FB along with several other bullets. These bullets are among a group of which we sell very little. Additionally, all of the discontinued bullets have a bullet that is close to it (in weight) that performs as well or better. In this case the 6mm 70 gr FB or the 6mm 80 FB are the options you can convert to and expect the same or better results.

I am not sure why the 74 gr and the 71 gr BT were not successful. We have been making these bullets for years and those who shoot them report good results. For some reason very few people shoot these bullets. With availability being our number one problem it does not make sense for us to spend valuable production time on a bullet that is used by such a small group of people.

We will make any bullet (that we have dies for) in quantities of 10,000. If you can get some of your shooting buddies together to order this amount we can make them for you (at a discount). To date no one has taken advantage of this program which does not surprise me since 10,000 of these bullets would be on our shelves for a year.

Regards,
Eric Stecker
Master Bulletsmith
Berger Bullets
714-447-5434 phone
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I felt the same way when Hornady discontinued the 6mm 70 SPSX, I was really saddened by it's loss. Hornady told me that the 65 VMax would do it's job just as well (Yeah, tell it to the rifle, Steve!)

·
Banned
1,296 Posts
Same with the 17 caliber bullets.....

Word on the street is that Berger is also discontinuing the 30 grain bullet as well as the lighter weight 17 caliber bullets in the line and will produce only the 25 grain bullets.

Progress marches on.....

-BCB

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Rick, I did try the Sierras in that rifle. Like I said, it REALLY liked the old SPSXs. Nothing, including Bergers fine stuff, shot as well as that bullet did. It's immaterial now, though, the rifle is sold. I don't miss it, really, it was too clumsy for anything but a bench, or maybe some limited prone shooting. It had a 14" twist, so the BKs were sorta pushing it for length. Those old SPSXs were also more explosive on PDs than the BKs, they would rip and rend like no one's business (it was a 6BR, using a Hart match barrel that wasn't quite "good enough" for the original owner).

·
Registered
460 Posts

Word on the street is that Berger is also discontinuing the 30 grain bullet as well as the lighter weight 17 caliber bullets in the line and will produce only the 25 grain bullets.

Progress marches on.....

-BCB
The guys at Berger told me that if a group got together and ordered a batch of 10,000 bullets, they would run a lot. I don't know if a forum group could get enough together or not, but we are not totally sunk.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts