Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's been covered on the old board but I couldn't remember. I think it was Keith Candler that mentioned a powder that he recommened for .223 that was more efficient than benchmark. It was something I'm not familiar with like N1N (?) or something like that. Wish I had written it down.

Thanks,

Richard

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
I know it's been covered on the old board but I couldn't remember. I think it was Keith Candler that mentioned a powder that he recommened for .223 that was more efficient than benchmark. It was something I'm not familiar with like N1N (?) or something like that. Wish I had written it down.

Thanks,

Richard
That was probably my favorite too, the Vihtavori N133 under a 50 grain V-Max (moly) develops 3550 ish in several of my guns, and more often than not makes one-hole groups at 100 yards. And, this load works on 12 twist Remingtons and 9 twist Savages and Bushmaster (ARs) too!

P.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I suspect you're thinking N133, personally I'm paying with TAC which is also giving good velocities but is supposed to be very clean. If I can get by with less cleaning on the PD fields - I'm all for it!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
N133 is indeed a great powder for the .223, but

just in case you might own one that won't shoot it, (unlikely) don't overlook H-322. It also makes most .223's sing a pretty song.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I haven't been able to find the vv powder around here, but have had good results with Benchmark. Very accurate, but probably not as fast as the vv powders, but pretty impressive on pd's.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Benchmark

I have tried AA2015, AA2230, AA2460, Varget, RL10, H4895, & a few others. For me with bullets from 40-55 grains Benchmark has been the favorite in four AR's and three bolt actions.

It gives very good velocity, burns clean and is quite accurate accross the board with several bullets.

Mike.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Best 223 powder

I have been using mostly surplus Data Powder such as 844 & AA2200 in the 223 & 222 with bullets from 40 to 50 gr. Cheaper is best for me!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well that just depends

It depend on your gun, bullet and the type of shooting you do. I fine for accurate high volume shooting AA 2230C, when you can find it, is excellent as a varmint load with 50 gr bullets.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Krudt

The 2 best powders for me ...used in 5 different .223s has been H 335 and VV 133 with a 50 gr V max bullet...Eric

·
Registered
826 Posts
Yes, it was N-133 that I mentioned.......

right now it is hard to find. The 223 is so versitile with most other powders that it is hard to choose. 748 is one of my favorite powders because it is so easy on barrels. Just about any 223 will shoot 26.5g of 748 with a 55g bullet into tiny groups. Also, with 27.0-28.0g of 748 with a 50, you will shoot very tiny groups.

The other favorites are Benchmark, H322, 2230, and XMR 2015.

I saw Ole's and Paul Workman's posts some time back and I bought a 2 lb'er of 133. The N-133 and has simply amazed me at the speed and accuracy. In my rifles, I am getting 100-150 fps faster with extreme accuracy Compared to Benchmark, H-322, and 748. Up until I had found the 133, I was sold on the Benchmark for the extreme accuracy, and on the first trip to the range (I load at the range) I found a load with the 50 shooting bug holes at 3600 out of a 26" Custom 223. It may not seem like much, but at 400 yards, I shot 17 of the 2 3/4" clay pigeons without missing. I felt as if the additional speed had extended my effective range of the cartridge and gave me a small additional edge on the wind. Next, I went to the N-135 with the 55g Ballistic tip. I got 3500 fps with extreme accuracy which is excellent yote medicine. Now the bad news, the cases are very full of powder and loading is slow. I weigh the charges and use a MTM powder funnel that has a 6" tube on it. This is bad news for guys that have the little patience.

Hodgdon has bought the distribution rights to the vit line of powders and we will all have more of the Vit powders very soon.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts