Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
AR

Well, that's a hard question to answer. I have a DPMS and like it quite well, but there are others that shoot just as well or better on any given day. AR's have become the '57 Chevy of the firearms world because they are so easy to build. Go up the the AR-15 Tech section and read up.

Molon Labe

Kim

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
check over at .....

AR15.com You could spend days in there. There is always a big debate on who makes the best. Some of the things I have seen with the DPMS makes me not want to buy one. It all depends on how much you want to spend. Bushmaster would be my first pick. Armalite is as good or better but is over priced. Rockriver Arms is another good one. White Oak Armorment will build you any thing you want if you want to spend the money. They are one of the best AR builders out there.

Gabriel

Gasgunner to the core

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
The best and $$$$ go hand in hand. Often "best" is nothing more than opinion or perception.

A McBros/David Tubb AR is widely reguarded as among the best. If you gotta ask the price you can't afford it ;)

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/store/product.php?productid=16269&cat=270&page=1

For out of the box factory assembled rifles, a DPMS heavy barrel or Bushmaster Varminter are two of the affordable ones available. Those cost a little under $1000, optics are extra $$.

I've built 7 AR15s. The last one I did sports a 20" Krieger barrel & matched bolt from Compass Lake Engineering. It is highly accurate and on par with many bolt action rifles in the same caliber. With good quality optics you can build something similar for around $1500.

·
Banned
1,296 Posts
Rock River AR's seem to consistently have an excellent upper to lower receiver fit that is very tight. Even if you buy the two receivers separate from each other, very seldom do you need a "wedgie'"to give a tight fit with RR parts.

As has been stated, just about any AR is good, but my preferences are RR and Bushy well before DPMS. I would stay away from Model 1 Sales if you decide to build as they have had bolt carriers issues in the past....maybe they have it fixed, but I'm not sure.

JMO - BCB

·
Registered
270 Posts
The bad thing about ARs is once you have one you gotta have another and another.....
As previous posters stated it all depends on what you want to spend.
You will get the most accuracy from an AR that you have built (or build yourself) with quality parts and a quality barrel, an after market trigger is highly recommended.
If you just want to buy an AR off the shelf, I've had good luck with my 12 twist RRA 24" varmint (not a carry gun), the Colt A3 target is pretty good if you can find one. I have no experience with Bushmasters or DPMS varmints, they would be as good a stock factory bolt varmint gun for sure. Les Baer also makes a fine AR tackdriver but I would build one before paying that kind of dough.
Fellow GGVG member Dtech is a good source for AR info, I'm sure he would help spend some of your friends money.

Hawkeye

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Barrel barrel barrel

The barrel makes the AR so buy the cheapest one you can find for a blaster. As time goes on you can upgrade as you gain knowledge of what exactly you want or need in an AR.Just build a second upper for a target unit,then blast away with the old one:D

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
10-4 on dat!

The barrel makes the AR so buy the cheapest one you can find for a blaster. As time goes on you can upgrade as you gain knowledge of what exactly you want or need in an AR.Just build a second upper for a target unit,then blast away with the old one:D
Totally agree! The AR is like a Harley or small block chevy...There are soooo many different sources of barrels and accessories that one can have just about anything (within reason)!

Scott Doty had a RR w/ a 12 twist heavy SS bbl. It would cut one-hole 5-shot groups at 100 yards with boring regularity. :eek:

P.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Well now, let me thunk.....

The best AR was built by the Hydromatic Division of General Motors with a Sako Chrome lined barrel.

Oh Wait....that was an M16A1......Sorry about that.:D

·
Registered
983 Posts
AR??

My Vote is for Colt.Just ask Charlie Sterner what this'll do,he outshot me with it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.