Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has generally had the best prices on these?
After this marathon, I'll be buying a big dbl handful at a clip and save shipping.
Still Tom and still strokin'.

·
Administrator
11,790 Posts
Ole Tom...just dump a load of powder in a case, top off with sand, point in the air and pull the trigger. That'll get the carbon out!;):D

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
I keep an eye out for them at gun shows and grab a handful as needed. But they are usually for .223 or .30 cal.

They are pricey little buggers from most vendors.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
I've always liked the bronze brushes from Sinclair International. They had packages of a dozen and were great quality.

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
Tom, did you try a good soak with Sharp Shoot R Wipe-Out foam? If that or Sweet's don't work, I'm not sure all the brushing in the world is going to do it.

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm almost out of the 16 oz Bore Tech so need to buy mo' of something.....no copper found yet w copper stuff - yet.

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
I'm almost out of the 16 oz Bore Tech so need to buy mo' of something.....no copper found yet w copper stuff - yet.
Ah, I thought copper was the issue, which is why I recommended Wipe-Out or Sweets. Are you telling me you've worn out several brushes on carbon, and it still isn't clean? Can't say I've ever run into anything like that. :eek:

·
Registered
547 Posts
Sinclair has the best brushes. They have bronze wire to hold the bristles and the end is round. No sharp corners.
I don’t want any twisted steel wire being pushed down any barrel to scratch riflings, throats or mussels. Especially some brush that has been cut with a wire cutters. Factory or otherwise. That goes for plastic brushes also!

I ain’t claiming there cheap but cleaning a good barrel they are are worth twice what you pay. Ruin one GOOD barrel and you wasted lots of money.

You sure your not dealing with moly instead of carbon???

·
Administrator
3,048 Posts
I have always liked the Sinclair brass brushes but I haven't bought any in awhile. I wonder if they are as good now that Brownells owns Sinclair.

If it is carbon I can't understand why you aren't using J-B Compound on the barrel.

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Moly has crossed my mind. Can see the black spots I thought were carbon w the Lyman scope.
Haven't unearthed the bore paste since last move.....:(

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PS. What's the elixir for moly?

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Moly has crossed my mind. Can see the black spots I thought were carbon w the Lyman scope.
Haven't unearthed the bore paste since last move.....:(
F'kn MOLY!! Don't get me started!! I damn near ruined a Hart SS bbl on my 220 Swift with that molybdenum disulfide crap!

Anywayz, add me to the list of Sinclair bronze brushes. Kroil, JB paste, Sweets and a gallon of elbow grease with a bore guide was required to get the moly out. (I switched to tungsten disulfide (aka "Danzac") and never had an issue again.)

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I know that I'm a heretic, but I have not put a bronze brush in a barrel in years. The only exception is that I will occasionally wrap a well worn brush with a patch and clean a barrel with Rem Clean. It's been a couple of years since I've done even that. I use Patch Out and Accelerator exclusively. I also shoot only bullets coated with WS2. Like anyone else I will wear out barrels, but I'll never wear one out with a brush and cleaning rod. My competition record is available to see. Just sayin.....

Rick

·
Premium Member
4,670 Posts
I drug out a SS barrel here a while back that I bored scoped and cleaned, it had some dark areas between the lands and I used a old brush and wrapped it with patches then used Flitz metal polish. It was a non abrasives polish but it took out the dark streaks pretty well. I doubt they were hurting anything though but after looking through my pile of used barrels I wanted them all clean to see which ones I was gonna scrap or send down the road.

I been using Pro shot stuff for a while just because I can get it at Rural King here.

Good luck

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
The best Cu removal solvent I have found is Montana Xtreme. It does smell of ammonia, but works on both Cu and powder fouling. You can use it for extended times without attacking the barrel, which is not recommended with Sweets. For harder carbon, I use JB with Kroil, which has worked so far for me.

I just looked up Sinclair brushes and they are currently $18/dozen for 22 and 243 calibers. That is a real bargain compared to the other selections in Brownells.

·
Administrator
3,048 Posts
As Mr. Greyfox I quit using bronze brushes back when I switched over to Bore Tech Products and I have never looked back. I have very few problems with copper or carbon either.

I remember when I last bought a dozen Sinclair Brushes they were I believe $12 per dozen.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
I know that I'm a heretic, but I have not put a bronze brush in a barrel in years. The only exception is that I will occasionally wrap a well worn brush with a patch and clean a barrel with Rem Clean. It's been a couple of years since I've done even that. I use Patch Out and Accelerator exclusively. I also shoot only bullets coated with WS2. Like anyone else I will wear out barrels, but I'll never wear one out with a brush and cleaning rod. My competition record is available to see. Just sayin.....

Rick
Do tell... (Always looking for a better 'mouse trap'.):rolleyes:

·
Registered
977 Posts
If you are going to brush, use Boretech Nylon brushes.
If you get any blue on your patch, it won't be from the brush.
They have center shaft that is made of a material that cleaning
solvents won't attack. LDS

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Put me in the camp with Greyfox. I will NOT put a metallic brush in a rifle barrel that I expect accuracy from. It is only on VERY RARE occasions that I even put a nylon brush in a barrel. Boretech Eliminator takes out the copper and most of the carbon, and Boretech makes a citrus based carbon remover that does the finishing touches on for carbon. Just follow their directions and that seems to work just fine.

We're now using a growing number of HBN coated bullets which has saved us an awful lot of cleaning. The bore smoothness of custom stainless barrels has gotten a lot better too over the last 5 or so years which helps in keeping them clean. JME. WD

·
Registered
246 Posts
I am a Die Hard Wipeout fan and or their Accelerator and liquid version. I am also very pleased with Bore Tech Eliminator
As mentioned Sinclair or Bruno for bronze Brushes.

Good Luck

Jim

1 - 20 of 20 Posts