Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Bushmaster

Bushmaster makes one that hooks at the rear leaving a flat bottom for riding a bag. Everything from your OEM rifle stock will work with it.

·
Registered
516 Posts
JP Enterprises

Makes a stock specifically for riding a rear bag.

Molon Labe

Kim

·
Registered
58 Posts
MagPul PRS gets my vote... kinda spendy but dang it's nice.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the MagPul looks nice

How does it "feel"? Is it cheap and wiggly or are the adjustable parts tight and solid? It should be pretty nice for the price. The Bushmaster stock is probably the best bang for the buck. Do you think the rod on the JP adds enough to double the price compared to the Bushmaster?

·
Registered
58 Posts
The MagPul PRS is *very* solid. I wouldn't hesitate to bean somene in the head with it and expect it to come out unharmed ;)

The adjustment wheels tend to stay put, since there is a ball detent or something similar in there that only allows them to rotate about 3/8" at a time. Great for keeping things from getting mis-adjusted during carry, but for someone (like me) used to thumbwheel adjusters on a target rifle stock (where there are no detents at all), having to basically take two fingers (one on each side of the stock) to adjust it vs. just spinning it w/ my thumb while having the gun mounted... is a little awkard. Like I said, though, it definitely won't go anywhere on you if you don't want it to.

About the only thing that comes loose on the stock is that little slip cover over the bottom picatinny rail. I probably just need to put a little set screw down thru the cover so it engages between the rail slots and stays put. Either that or some double-stick tape :D

BTW, here's a pic of my setup... A4 upper, WOA barrel (1-7" twist, heavy Service Rifle profile), YHM customizable float tube, MagPul PRS stock, Sierra Precision grip, ARMS rail. The scope has been changed out to a SS16X42 instead of the Leupold 4.5-14x in the picture.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Butt stock options

I would agree with the "caveman" on this. The PRS gets my vote for a precision AR stock. The only issue that I have is; the bottom of the stock is parellel with the bore (flat) so therefore if you don't have your rear bag just right, it becomes a problem to readjust, especially if you are shooting PDs and you want a quick follow up shot. If the bottom was at a slight angle you could push or pull the rifle for a quick adjustment.

I also have a 93B (now discontinued) and like this one very much also. Solid, several positions and sharp looking. They make another one now that is adjustable and alot more affordable.

Another option is the stand-by A-2 stock. You can remove the sling loop and install a sling end plate between stock and upper receiver. That way you can use this stock with your rear bag and still have a solid sling mount.

Just my opinion

·
Registered
37 Posts
Original A2 stock ....

I just ground off the rear sling attachment so it would still hold the bottom screw, but not portrude out the bottom of the stock. It rides the rear bag as well as my bolt guns for PD shooting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts