Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Forster Original

I have used the Forster Original for 35 years. Really like the power adapter. Can compress and cut too short if you press the electric screwdriver too firmly, but this is an experience issue.

Much of my reloading has been with reforming for 8mm Kurz, 7.7 Jap and other cases that needed to be cut down a lot.

Also, I case prep for rifle calibers such as 303, 308 and 30-06 for belt fed guns where you do not want the case length to be excessive.

I make very accurate OAL case trim with the Forster. Check ebay reloading for good deals on Forster. One sold Christmas week for $33.00.

Old Doug

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I`ve had both the Layman and the RCBS and they are the samething except for their paint job. I really don`t think that there is a whole lot of difference in any of them. I will advise you to get one with the cutter you can run with an electric drill. It is much easiser to hold a consistant lenth with the drill and it`s also alot faster. I`m very happy with the Layamn I`m useing now.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I've used an old Forster case trimmer for over 35 years. It is pretty accurate, but I hate having to seat the cases in the collet holder. I recently bought a Sinclair/Wilson trimmer with a micro adjustment. The Wilson case holders hold the cases straight, and I think are more accurate and faster than the Forster. I can trim cases a lot faster with the Wilson, and I'm sure with practice can increase on my speed.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have the Lyman and it does have one downside, the Lyman uses a universal chuck to hold the cartridge heads, it works fine on most calibers except those will small heads like the 223, it doesn't hold them well at all. This is the model that I have: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=795961 I DO NOT recommend this model.

I haven't used the RCBS but from what I understand the RCBS uses a different system to hold the case head, and shouldn't have the problem with small case heads like the Lyman.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I have had a Lyman power trimmer and currently have an RCBS and a Wilson.
IMO- The Wilson is head and shoulders above eveything else. I doubt I'll ever use anything else. BTW- I have found that unless I have a large amount of brass to remove, the hand crank is just as fast as the power attachment.

Rick

·
Registered
485 Posts
Ditto on the Wilson

I have a Wilson, with a Sinclair base with the case holder clamp. It replaced
a Lyman. The Wilson is faster, once I got in a groove, and there sure
is a difference in the "squareness" of the cut. With the case holder,
every case is square, and the same length. And I agree, I see no
point in the power drill adapter, unless I had a pile of very long cases
to trim. About the only kick I have against the Wilson, is that it is machined
from carbon steel, and it will rust easily. The next time I have the air
brush out, Dura Coating a firearm, my Wilson trimmer, and the case
holders, are going to get Dura Coated.:D

Squeeze

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have been using the forster for something like 40 years, was my first one, never saw any need to change, but I have added to them over the years, picking them up used cheap at gun shows and just setting up for different calibers and never having to change them. Think I have like 5 or 6 now. But I use a wilson for the 6ppc benchrest rifle.
Barry

·
Registered
270 Posts
case trimmers

when I was looking at normal reloading trimmers years ago forster had the least slop and was a decent but, I went with the target guys though and bought a wilson. It was only about $30 but then you do have to buy case holders and a deburring tool. But I am happy with the finished product.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I to own the Wilson case Trimmer and it is by far the most accurate i have used.

I do offer these for sale if you are interested.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I use a RCBS (new trimmer), the old one used a collet to hold the case. The problem with this is not all case's are of the same size at the base. It is impossible to get consistant trims even with in the same cal/ manfgr. The new RCBS trimer use's a better method of locking down the case, check it out.
Jim

·
Registered
36 Posts
I vote for wilson also but then James was the one that turned me on to them. Easy to set check and get to work. I use it for my benchrest stuff also.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts