Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to have the guy I bought the gun for install a muzzle brake but he is 3 weeks out ore more. I think he wanted $120 for no threaded.

So If I had a gunsmith install the brake here what does a typical install cost and what is the best muzzle brake???

Thanks

·
Registered
876 Posts
Muzzle Brake..

If you think you will need a brake on your varmint gun I think a VAIS would be a good one. They are REALLY loud though. I have never shot one personally but my hunting partner had one installed on his .338 ultra-mag. In that case it almost made the recoil tolerable. A varmint gun doesnt have much recoil; maybe others here who have them on their varmint guns can give you pros-cons. I would definitely suggest have one threaded on and then have the installer make you a threaded cap for when you dont want the brake installed.

·
Registered
270 Posts
What type of rifle are you wanting to install a brake on???

I had one installed on my 40X 6BR last year, mostly because I wanted to see my hits through the scope. This brake came out of Montana and was installed by triple G gunsmithing in Texas for around $200 plus shipping. Good work and quick turn around.

The Vais brakes are pretty good. They are not the best at reducing recoil since they do have horizontal porting (ports out of the front of brake) They are however a little quieter than brakes that just have porting around the circumference. Whomever threads your barrel will have a good idea of what will work best for you and your rifle.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's going on a remington 700, thumb hole stock, ss
fluted barrel 22-250

I have done some searching and most guys like the Vias, Darrel Hollands and JP enterprises.

I am not to worried about the sound in the fields but I want it to reduce the recoil as much as I can.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I've installed at least a hundred breaks and I can tell you that other than appearance, there's not a lick of difference between most any of them.

The vias are good but way over priced. Harrells makes them and theirs is as good as any out there and usually the break itself is about half the cost..... sometimes a third of the cost.

On varmint weight barrels, I charge $125 to install a Harrell's break.

Anything heavier runs a bit more and anything lighter does too....

Threaded caps are $50

·
Registered
211 Posts
Vias is My Choice Also

Have one on a 20 Tac that is working great. Is on a Sav 12BVSS SSS 26" S/S Douglas Brl. The whole rig weighs between 11 & 12 lbs, so is not walking gun. When fired ,moves straight back bout ¼", I get to see every hit, I don't think it is very loud ,but then am only burning 24.5 grs of 10X also. More Powder ='s More Noise. The holes that you see fm the front, parallel to the bore , are why it is a bit quieter then some others ,IMHO. Also had one on 25-06 that shot very nicely & reduced recoil substantially. My 2¢ Russ.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had a Fabian Bros. DTA Mil Brake on a Ruger 77V .308 for several years and it worked real well. We put them on Mini-14s and even a full auto FN-Fal. It was amazing the difference in muzzle climb and recoil that brake made. But, all of 'em are LOUD! I think Ken Fabian got out of the business and I lost track of him several years ago. Any of you guys in the San Diego area? DTA=Defense Technology Associates.
I don't have any braked rifles now, but have thought many times about a Smith Enterprises for my M1A-A1 Bush Rifle... anybody have one?

·
Registered
162 Posts
VIAS Is great

Have Vias breaks on 6mm Rem and 2-22-250 rifles. Is is great to see prairie dogs in flight. Can see the holes appearing in the target at 100 yards. Noise to shooting partners isn't a problem as all are wearing appropriate hearing protection. $200.00 including the break is about standard.

Old Doug

·
Registered
40 Posts
another vote for vais

why? reducing recoil is not the only key to seeing your hits. reducing the gas that hits your face making you blink is another.

·
Registered
627 Posts
SNOW JW-- One thing I would throw in here is that if you are going to shoot from the prone position in dusty prairie dog towns, you will want to find a brake that doesn't vent the gasses downward and cause a Dirty Thirties Dust Storm.

·
Registered
761 Posts
My Holland

Quick Discharge Brake is on my 243 Ackley, and although bulky, it reduces the recoil to that of a 22WMR, and completely eliminates muzzle jump. I can see bullet holes appear in a 100 yard target, and see every PD or sage rat jump at impact.

I'm not a fan of brakes at all, and this rifle only gets shot off the bench, so it's not an issue for a carry rifle to me. The only caveat is they are loud! They do their job though, and what more could you ask?

Rifle pictured is a Holland/M700 Vee-Block, 243 Ackley, Pac-Nor SS Super Match w/McMillian Marksman stock & Jewell trigger, Leu 6.5-20X Mil-Dot working over the PD's near Havre, MT. Longest shot that trip with that rifle was a second shot hit on the most unlucky rat in the county, at a lasered 841yards. Skippy really jumped. (Nosler 70gr BT/H414 @ 3800 fps)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a Holland Quick Discharge on a .308 10FP W/H-S Precision Stock. First one I even owned! Man was it worth it for three great reason.

1. It is ported on the sides and top only and seems to be angled slight forward, so when shooting off a bi-pod varminting, it does not kick up dirt all over you and your gun.
2. shooting a 155 A-Max, I can spot my own hits, and that is half the fun. I will soon have one on a 22-250 for that reason alone!
3. If you have Darrel do it for you. Turn around is pretty quick and the quality of he workmanship is second to none! You won't be sorry!

WARNING! No matter how tempting, always wear earplugs. You will be sorry if you don't and I can assure you that you won't do it twice.

http://www.hollandguns.com/

·
Registered
462 Posts
Have a Harrel (pic)

Put on by Kevin Weaver on a 243 AI. Workmanship is superior and the break is excellent can see hits on paper, and I suspect I'll see PD's on 12X even if they're close in.

Attachments

·
Registered
341 Posts
I had a brake put on my 260 by a great smith in North Dakota by the name of Nathen Dagley , his brake cost is $75 , $50 install and $22 to ship back insured. the desgine is similar to the Holland as its the baffel style but the baffels are in a V port desgine offering more surface area which would make it more effective. I have yet to shoot it but I'm sure its going to work well.
I have used the Bennie Cooley style brake from JP enterprises and its a good brake , the regular JP brake is probably going to be the most effective out their but its ugly !! Check out Nate's site ,his work is second to none , I've had work done by Darel Holland and Charlie Sisk and Nate's is at least as good , hes very concerned with detail.
www.tiptopwebsites.com/ssgcustomrifles

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.