Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While using my fumbling fingers to navigate this new space , I came across Godsdogs suggestion about leaving a hot barrel vertical to speed up cooling . Since I can't think back too far ( CRS y'know ) , that's one suggestion I thought I would file away for my 220 Swift on next years Pdog Wars . What is the best SUGGESTION that you have seen posted on GGVG within the past year ( or ever ....... if you like ) ?????

·
Registered
876 Posts
good tip.

That was a pretty good tip; Or you could do like the Old Buffalo Hunters used to do. Pour water down your barrel to cool it!:D

·
Registered
876 Posts
Seriously though.

I really liked the tip about color coding your test loads in case of a catastrophe. That was an excellent idea.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Tweezers..

Take a pair of tweezers with you in the PD fields to pull out the catus you will no doubt get into.

·
Registered
5,996 Posts
PD hunters prefer rattler filleted

My best tip is that 10 of 10 PD hunters in my group last spring preferred the filleted prairie rattler to the "chunked" prairie rattler. They said they could pretend the "snake fingers" were anything, but when they were holding a ribcage and gnawing the meat, it was hard to ignore the fact that they were choming on snake. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Never ever eat yellow snow!!! :>)

Also, a good umbrella for your shootin' bench, is a "must have" while P.D. shootin'!

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
I have a tie...

Last year my favorite tip of the year was such a DOOOZY that it bears mentioning again: Hu put me (and some others) onto Lock Ease in the bore before shooting. In terms of reducing copper fouling and making clean up easier, I'm still amazed at what a terrrrrrrrific(!!) suggestion that was! So, thanks again Hu!!

For 2006, it is a toss up between my new DI MXX-123 digital scale and a close runner up has been Danzac (aka tungsten disulphide or WS2.) Danzac has been everything moly was supposed to be, without all the "issues" I've experienced with moly.

But, for sure, the DI scale has really put a fine edge on my load development. I mean with it I discovered my Harrell ES (with N133, Varget, and some others that are considered "fine") to be over .6 gn. When one is trying to distinguish between perfomance of load groups with powder charges that are supposed to be only .2 gn apart, one can see the level of ambigeuity is over 100%!! (can we say "worthless" boys n girls??). I damn well can assure myself that if I want .2 gn steps between loads, I can be assured they will be to w/in .02 gn. Now I don't have to wonder about powder charge if I get a flier (and I do get less of them now too!)

My 2 cents!

P.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well, I hate to have to say this again- Thanks to

...Paul Workman for a great tip ... :) He told me to glass bed Ruger stocks BEFORE drilling the holes for the pillars. That way you don't have to build the silly little paper dams to hold in the epoxy for the pillars!!
Thanks again Paul (why didn't you tell me about this 5-6 bedding jobs ago!!)
George

1 - 9 of 9 Posts