Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I damn near came home in tears. I have access to hunt a large military range so I got out yesterday for the first time and took my partner Sean with. We were in the field at sunrise for the first beating. Called for about ten minutes and a nice dog come in at 150 yards. Let the sight settle on his chest and a perfect miss. Well it happens so on to the next stand. One comes in via a thicket and hold up never to be seen again. Third stand one is right behind us howling maybe 75 yards, I shut up and play hard to get and he breaks. Comes trotting in and Sean's turn to miss. Well we both have a miss out of the way so lets get to killing a few. Two more stands with no takers, 6th stand produces a small dog but it comes in and before we can shoot leaves, not even 5 minutes after a second one comes in and stands on top of a rise 75 yards, I miss and my mojo is gone the coyote god's have damned me. A few more stands and nothing. We move to another area and the first set up produces a pair coming in on a dead run. One holds up at a small bush for a perfect shot, Sean misses. Coyote bolts quartering away from me and takes a hit in the guts, second shot finishes it. Next stand one mile down the road and here comes one, I got my mojo back and feel good. Holds up in some grass less than 100 yards and I miss. Hunted until dark and did not see another one. Man coyote hunting will take you from the highs of success to the lows of failure and every emotion between, we got home and the wife had dinner ready so we relived the day and went to bed smiling like a kid after his first date. After 25 plus years of coyote hunting I have never had a boring hunt even the ones that send me home with my tail between my legs are great !

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.