Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some of you watch and feed the birds. My Wife and I have been seeing some new birds at the feeders recently. Last Saturday we saw the first Hummingbird of the season, then Sunday we saw the first Baltimore Oriole, and yesterday we saw the first Grosbeak. We haven't seen any Martins yet. Probably any day now. The Robins are in the yard hunting worms and then we have the Blackbirds. I usually work on them with the 22 Short!

We buy Sunflower seeds 150 - 200 pounds at a time and Grape Jelly by the case. The Orioles and Hummingbirds like the jelly.

·
Administrator
12,418 Posts
My list is up to about 25 different species, there's a bunch of small sparrows (song sparrows maybe?) I haven't had time to look up. Smaller than English with a yellow spot on the head. Lately we've been inundated with cowbirds and the gold finches have showed up..

Interesting thing happened the other day...we have a big wall of windows in the front of the house that's always getting bird strikes.

I was sitting up in the loft working and heard an exceptionally loud "bump" on the window. A red shouldered hawk smashed against the window. Luckily, it didn't smash thru the window! It survived and flew off. A lot of birds whack the windows pretty hard and don't make it.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Hey Lightman, how do you put the grape jelly out for the birds? Is there a special feeder you use? Would like know cause I have an Oriole and hummers. Mike

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
My list is up to about 25 different species, there's a bunch of small sparrows (song sparrows maybe?) I haven't had time to look up. Smaller than English with a yellow spot on the head. Lately we've been inundated with cowbirds and the gold finches have showed up..

Interesting thing happened the other day...we have a big wall of windows in the front of the house that's always getting bird strikes.

View attachment 26583

I was sitting up in the loft working and heard an exceptionally loud "bump" on the window. A red shouldered hawk smashed against the window. Luckily, it didn't smash thru the window! It survived and flew off. A lot of birds whack the windows pretty hard and don't make it.
I had a hawk chasing a small bird hit my glass patio door once. Can't remember if the hawk hit the door but I looked up in time to see him flying away.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
I was feeding Squirrels over at Otis's house early winter, along with some grey long billed bird that cut the side out of the feeder.. Forgot what Grey fox called it, but the Damcoons moved in and tore everything down. I just gave up.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Charlie, about a year ago, I heard a similar extra loud boom on one of our windows, and it was a Cooper's Hawk that hit the window, and killed itself. Looked real close and saw no bands on its legs, or any other tags. Called the state DNR just to be sure, and they said to just dispose of it, as long as there was no ID bands on the legs.

·
Administrator
1,834 Posts
was rideing down the highway while my wife was driving, saw two large birds and the saw that one was an Eagle, the other was a Buzzard. I laughed and told my wife the Eagle was watching the Buzzard and if it found something to eat it would take it away from it.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
We were all sitting at the Kitchen table eating supper and I see something Fluttering at Skruske's windshield.
A long tailed bird fought the windshield for over a Half Hour. Maybe a Catbird?
I bet his truck has bird crap all over it.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I have had Cardinals come to my feeders for years, maybe a couple of pairs. This year I bet I've seen as many as 12 to 15 at once, beautiful bird, and the state bird of WV.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Lightman, how do you put the grape jelly out for the birds? Is there a special feeder you use? Would like know cause I have an Oriole and hummers. Mike
They make Oriole feeders just for jelly. You can find them on Amazon pretty cheap. We buy the cheapest brand of jelly that we can find. They seem to prefer Grape. Before we found the feeders we used margarine tubs suspended by small wires.

We have a bay style window in the kitchen that faces the yard and we get bird strikes pretty often. One of our Humming birds is in love with the little red light on one of our outdoor cameras! :)

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Wow, where to begin. We have probably bought 150 lbs of sunflower and safflower seeds this winter, possibly more. Our regulars all year would include turkey and black vultures, Red tail, Red shouldered & Coopers hawks. The Coopers thinks my yard is a buffet. Cardinals, Robins, Blue Jays, Mourning Doves, Song Sparrows, Field Sparrows, Chipping Sparrows, House Finches, Eastern Towhees, Mockingbirds, Brown Thrashers, House Finches & Gold Finches, Tufted Titmouse, Carolina Chickadees, House Wrens, Cedar Waxwings, Juncos, cowbirds, grackles, starlings, RW Blackbirds and more. Wintering over and moving north now, White Throat Sparrows. The Hummingbirds have either moved in or are passing through. My wife heard a Yellow breasted chat the other afternoon (she's much better with calls than I am). I have recently seen a Blue Grosbeak and a Yellow Throated Warbler. We regularly hear Great Horned & Barred Owls as well as the occasional Screech Owl. The migrants are beginning to show up, but warblers are tiny and difficult to identify unless you have very good glass and eyes to match. Heard the first Wood Thrush of the season a day or so ago. Almost forgot the tree swallows and purple martins. We have at least a dozen tree swallows nesting and twice as many martins in the martin apartments.

Mike- my wife takes orange halves and takes out some of the pulp then fills with grape jelly and spikes them on the feeders. We don't get a lot of Baltimore Orioles, but we do get a few Orchard Orioles.

I'm sure I've left out a lot. My wife keeps a life list of birds seen in or from our yard. I think it's up to about 160 species.

Rick

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow Greyfox, thats quite a list. We get some of the ones that you named but they have not got here yet. We have a neighborhood Owl that we hear early in the morning. We've had a Red Tailed Hawk occasionally but we would just as soon it stay away.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Well, I saw one of These things a couple weeks ago. And Yes, i am Sure that's what it was.

Reactions: lightman

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 36 Posts