Varmint Hunters Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
We have six feeders and don't use red coloring in any. Birding experts say that you can multiply the number you see at any one time by three or four, which means we will typically have around thirty hummers by late summer. We probably have a dozen or so already. By late summer sugar is a drain on my bank account.

Rick

·
Registered
30 Posts
We have a few of those $10.99 ones and they work well. My Wife does not even put red coloring in the sugar water anymore.
Cool! Thanks for the answer. I have already ordered hummingbird feeders, I really want to watch these unique birds. As for me, they are the most unusual of the bird world, so tiny and defenseless.

·
Administrator
12,418 Posts
Last Sunday Sue and I were doing yard work and I said to her that we should get the HB feeders out. Shortly thereafter, one buzzed the porch and hovered next to where we usually hang it. He was looking for it. Within a few hours of putting the feeder out, we had at least 4 different ones show up.

And an Indigo Bunting made an appearance yesterday.

Oh...and while mowing yesterday I noticed there was a teeny tiny baby cardinal laying on the ground next to the rosebush where their nest is. I jumped off the mower and gently picked it up and it was still alive. I put it back in the nest and momma is still taking care of it this morning. Must be the year of troubled baby critters. Bunnies, now this. Hopefully there's no trouble with my new grandson!

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Only thing wrong with that is it makes me think of Louvil (Cardinals)

·
Administrator
12,418 Posts
Well, the baby cardinal didn't make it. DOA in the nest the other day. But just now, saw a new to me "life bird" I guess Tarcilla would call it. A black throated blue warbler was by the pond. It was easy to ID with my bird book. Not many blue colored birds, and this one was easy to determine. Very unique looking (not my pic, one I stole from the web).

·
Administrator
12,418 Posts
Well, I think the bluebirds just might have found my nest box out front. Saw the male on top of the box last night. I'm hoping they stick around and don't get pushed out by the wrens/sparrows this year.

And today, another new one for me. The Cedar Waxwings are having a feast on the cicadas in the trees out back. I saw 4 sitting on one branch here a few minutes ago. Here's a pic (not mine) for reference.

And Greyfox...a question for you or Tarcilla. There's a bird calling out back every day and I can't see to identify what it is. I may know and forget. But it just makes a sound like "Jeep, Jeep, Jeep". Pretty distinctive call. Any idea? Nevermind, I finally caught the culprit. The Great Crested Flycatcher.

Charlie

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Good sighting Charlie. I have a pair of Baltimore Oriels and Catbirds eating out of a bowl grape jelly, thanks to Lightman for the advice. Mike

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Well, I think the bluebirds just might have found my nest box out front. Saw the male on top of the box last night. I'm hoping they stick around and don't get pushed out by the wrens/sparrows this year.

And today, another new one for me. The Cedar Waxwings are having a feast on the cicadas in the trees out back. I saw 4 sitting on one branch here a few minutes ago. Here's a pic (not mine) for reference.

View attachment 26781

And Greyfox...a question for you or Tarcilla. There's a bird calling out back every day and I can't see to identify what it is. I may know and forget. But it just makes a sound like "Jeep, Jeep, Jeep". Pretty distinctive call. Any idea? Nevermind, I finally caught the culprit. The Great Crested Flycatcher.

Charlie
Charlie, I fear your situation is rapidly reaching critical mass. You may already be hooked o_O Just go ahead and get the app IBird Pro and accept your fate. You cannot escape.

Rick

·
Administrator
12,418 Posts
I've always been pretty good at birding, as far as our local stuff. We used to do an outdoors competition with other schools each spring. I knew most of the birds/calls then and we literally smoked the other schools in that category.

Have had the Audubon book for years, which is pretty good. But the net has been a game changer. And working from home has been neat. Hear a call, try to ID the bird with binocs if I can find it and, and verify the call on the net. Super simple. I should get the app though. Even easier I bet.

Always pretty neat identifying a new one fore sure.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Didn't realize you were a prodigy. You are certainly better with calls than I am. Tarcila is very good, but she says she doesn't compare with serious birders. It's like a lot of things.You get out of it whatever you choose and you can enjoy a little as much as a lot. Someone I knew once said, "anything worth doing is worth doing poorly". He was referring to music and his point was, you don't have to be a great musician to enjoy doing it. I regard birding as much the same. The app has -4 calls for each bird. It's well worth the $$.

Rick

·
Administrator
12,418 Posts
Prodigy, not hardly. LOL. My teacher had a cassette tape that had a hundred or so songs for us to practice with. I was always fascinated so it came easy for me, while others really struggled. But that was a long time ago. One tends to forget more than he learns over time. I'll look into the app.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
I saw these birds today. Not a good photo as they were trying hard to get away and I was giving them space. 7 young turkeys.
Killed one on nest that had not hatched
yesterday with the cutter. You guys talking about Bird Calls other day. I do NOT hear them, cant hear that range I guess. I put hearing aids in and they bust my eardrums.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
We had the first Martins show up today. They are pretty busy evicting the Sparrows that were nesting in the house. Other than that we haven't had anything new show up. Besides the usual complement of Cardinals, Robins, Mocking Birds and Blue Jays we have a couple pair of Baltimore Oreoles, a few Gross Beaks, a couple pair of Doves and a lone Wood Pecker that comes by every few days or so. A few days ago the Wife saw an Orchard Oreole but it must have been passing through. And Black Birds! Did I say Black Birds?

The last time we went riding around the country side most of the Eagles that we know about were either sitting on their nest or on limbs close to the nest.

·
Administrator
3,533 Posts
I keep a step ladder on my back deck, well this year a robin built a nest on the top of it. She had three eggs in it and two hatched, I hate to go out the back door and disturb her, I see yesterday her two babies are strarting to get decent size now.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
After I posted yesterday we had a Brown Thrasher show up. We usually have one or two but this was the first for this year.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts

This Damthing.
A juvenile bird that did not get ground up in the hay cutter. Man, y'all some smart people about birds!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts