Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a thread a while back about this subject----not sure the S word was
actually used but it probably fits.

Guess what ? I don't necessarily see this as a totally negative assessment. This
board has a lot of older/more experienced folks who have already learned what they think they need to know-----in contrast with another much more active board which has the usual assortment of old heads-----plus more beginners
who ask more questions.

If you take a look at the current state of the board, you'll see a lot of posts that
have been around a long time.

My personal preference for this board would be for the old heads to continue
to advance what they've learned----rather than the painful process of pushing
answers across the keyboard for beginners-----in other words we need to get
off our collective asses and develop and share more advanced skills.

I had a talk with a friend on this board about our (shooters) tendency to cling
to what "they" say we should do. This fellow is known to be a very successful
BR competitor and although he's not E.F. Hutton, I listen to what he says. I won't identify him for fear his house will be surrounded by screaming protestors.

In our conversation about thinking out of the box his observation was---"We are
followers of followers. We are like ants going round and round on the rim of a
coffee cup."

Maybe we should take the terrible risk and try to get of the rim of that cup. There
will be some failures but maybe also some significant successes.

Shoot'em good.

A. Weldy

·
Registered
977 Posts
Learning can be a process of "monkey see, monkey do"
or simply follow the leader.
Then there are those who dare to be great and
venture into unknown waters and create an
all new concept to a situation.
Most of us learn from hand me down info.This
process saves a lot of time and money.
The internet gun chat boards have moved your
mentors from across the globe, to living next door,
and I think we are all the wiser for it. LDS

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Hummm. Only one comment.
Been watching this thread.
I'm sitting out on the front porch listening to vintage Cajun music on Pandora while having a "Dewshine."

I used to post A lot of photos of things going on just as a thing to keep the interest going upon the site.
Everyone has FBook now days so that's where the action is....If you Don't have Fbook, you are a non person or a Hermit living in a Cave (like me.) Got some photos of Judy Brown with a Reticulated Python wrapped around her so hang on LDS and they may show up here!

It is very troublesome for me to post photos now with a 10 yr old cracked laptop; i don't even have a Smartphone. FBook makes it all easy, so the Wimmens can even figure it out. But I have been posting a few photos now and then and will try to keep it up. I'm thinking of sending George Foster my Laptop or buying a Recon on eBay to make things easier. But I'm bumping the big 70 and just don't have much interest in shooting or hunting Coyotes anymore. I wish I did.
Young People?
They have no interest in what we do or used to do; they are on social media posting photos of themselves eating in the Messican restaurant or a "Hold my beer and watch this" moment on YouTube.
No kids in my area are interested in Coyote Hunting....say Too Much Trouble. DAMN Right it's a lot of trouble and when you learn how, you are about ready to ride to the Funeral Home.

I encourage everyone to post up your adventures doing Something....no matter what.
I have a big visit to Italy coming up soon so maybe I can share that but i have no way to do that over there. Been There....Said Never again....but new Granddaughter and a 9 month extension on Captain Jesse's prison sentence as Company Commander has me going again.

Man, I really don't like leaving Trump Country.
If I can get internet, I may even beat old George Foster posting Good Morning. I don't want to make him mad, but could be a change?

Grumble, Grumble.
Sit with yer back to the Wall.
And as Greyfox says F... those Demonrats.

·
Premium Member
4,673 Posts
My big thing the last year or better has been work....I have already been out a few times so far and has shown that I got rusty. Hopefully that will change...I am thinking of going out tonight after dark for a short trek to see if I can get something shot on the ground.

I'll try to post results good or bad pretty soon....season officially starts the 15th....so it's still pregame....which hasn't been good so far.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Speaking of FB, I am on a Remington 700 group there, and quite frankly, it is getting tedious. Every day some newbie posts a picture of his new Remington and asks 'What XXX (stock or 'chassis', barrel, trigger, DBM bottom metal, scope, mount - or 'rail,' as they call them, etc.) should I use? Granted, the current Remington plastic stocks are crap, and their triggers not far behind, but, geez - have you even fired it yet? Obviously not, since it has no sights and isn't wearing a scope.

These guys who frequently have never even fired a centerfire rifle are all going to take up "long range" shooting, and want to buy their way to mastery without ever even firing a round! I anticipate a lot of expensively tricked-out, little-fired rifles for sale around where ever they live.

Their next post is frequently something like 'Okay, I had my action blueprinted and a XX barrel installed, the bolt fluted and a Sako extractor installed, a big knob put on, and put it in an XX chassis. Installed the XX scope and XX rail, and I'm shooting XX ammo, like you all said. Problem is, I can't hit the target at 1,000 yards! What's wrong?'

My answer, usually to myself, is 'learn to shoot, then practice. Then practice some more.' That apparently doesn't work for the Nintendo generation.

·
Registered
9,345 Posts
Pretty good description of another LARGE forum I visit except they’re all over every imaginable variation of ARs, AKs, and Mosin Nagants. Threads seldom remain on topic for long and often turn into name calling and insults. The multiple moderators are busy. Guys often get banned. I’ll take this quiet little corner of the www any time.

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
Reloading 101 site will make your hair stand on end. Why does everyone try to make their rifle something it is not intended. I get the fact they may be limited on assets but there is a lot of overlap on what your firearms can accomplish.
And everyone seems to be able to shoot quarter groups at 200 yards "all day long". I look at it as entertainment now. It used to get me riled and start a p-match.
The thought of a 72 year old geezer with a 81 year old rifle and a 40 year old scope cleaning their clock has a lot of appeal.

·
Registered
977 Posts
OK JR go ahead and post pictures of Judy Brown,
and I promise I will look.

OBTW for the ones who may find this hard to believe,
I can in most case shoot one hole groups all day long.
Yeppers my rifle is that good. The problem develops when I
fire the second shot. Just sayin. LDS

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I’m with JR, about posting your adventures. Silverfox in North Dakota does an excellent job of doing just that. Interesting stories, accompanied by pictures. I really like the detail about his rifles and load data. Not to mention the resquite “Hero Picture”.

I wrote a small post, with a couple of pictures from my PD Hunt this year. I shared my thoughts on the .20 VarTarg. I would like to see others experiences, no matter what, reloading, hunting, shooting, wildcats, trucks,......on and on.

George used to share some interesting technical data. I miss those posts.

Looking forward to many more years on this board. Lots of great people.

·
Administrator
3,053 Posts
I tend to stay out of this type of threads for different reasons. Soon to be74 I have done more shooting than some others and a lot less of others and I know what I like and what I don't. I am not one to worry if my likes and dislikes don't match others, I don't really care anymore. I really enjoy being on the board and I feel it is what it is. One thing I notice in all the threads such as this is they are started by people who are rarely seen on here.

Every since I was young I have loved shooting 22 rimfire, I was on the my High School rifle team and we took the championship in my Senior year. I to this day shoot rimfire way more than centerfire.

I have my preferences in centerfire rifles and calibers, for instance I have both 243 and 6mm rifles and I much prefer the 6mm. In brands I have both Ruger and Remington and I like my Rugers better, I have an old 788 in 6mm that is my and always has been my favorite rifle. Along with my Rem 581 both are I suppose are what are called semi customs. I also have a Rem 700 semi custom in 6mm. My other favorite calibers are 222 and 22-250. I don't care for "Black rifles" and don't own any. I don't care for any of the "Fads" of new calibers, I am very satisfied with calibers I have owned for 50+ yrs.

I don't say very often anything about my rifles or shooting as I don't shoot BR and although all my centerfire rifles can and will (If I do my part) shoot five shot groups of 1/2" or less they don't hold a candle to a BR rifle. A couple of times when I have said something it has been ignored or I have been told in a nice way I don't know what I am talking about.

I don't like politics and won't talk about it. I will say I am a moderate Independent and I have always voted for the person I like the best regardless of party. I have always felt that is the way it should, a person who always votes a party line is wrong. There have been times in a Presidential election where I have voted for a third party candidate as I didn't like either the Rep or Dem candidate.

I have gotten some very good advice from some members here in both shooting and life from PM's and I have appreciated it.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
I've been on this board for quite a while as have quite a few others. I was at the inaugural BBB (circa 2002) along with about 8 other fellows from this board. This board was in its heyday about 10-15 years ago while Mike and John were running it. They did a great job refereeing the disputes and keeping things civil, loads of fun, and enjoyable.

There are a LOAD of folks on this board that are some of the finest folks I've ever met and would trust them with my life or anything else I have.

I don't post much anymore mostly because some of those folks are no longer with us (passed away or no longer post anything). And equally because when I first got on this board MLM and I were harvesting a couple hundred chucks apiece every spring summer and fall and there was a lot to share. Then along came the coyote population explosion up here and the conversation switched very quickly from chucks to coyote shooting. And now that they coyotes are thinned out around here about the only hunting I have to share is squirrel hunting and I have reservations about how many on this board give a hoot whether I got a limit of squirrels a few times a year. I've taken up competitive shooting, but that too is something that I don't think anyone here is much interested in either.

Finally, I just want to say that JR, George in Ky, Paul Workman, Greyfox, Larry Scott, MPC in Ohio, Shane, Kermit, SKruskie, Mr. Hensley, Jackie Stogsdill, James, Mr. McNeely, Kyfisherman, and some that have passed away are fellas that I thank the Lord every day that I have met, talked with and have become friends with both on and off this board. JME. WD

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I think all or at least almost all forums in this format are dying. On all subjects. Some withering fast, some withering slow, but the format itself just doesn't seem long for this world anymore.

As far as this board in particular, I can see lots of reasons for the decline. Chief among them, the change in ownership. I, for one, don't make a habit out of donating my time and effort to create quality content for some anonymous people to make money off of. As my dear old Dad used to say, "eff that crap". I don't post much of anything worth a dang, anywhere, anymore.

And lets face it, there just isn't anything new under the sun anymore. Used to be, we could all hear or learn about something here on GGVG that was new to us on a pretty regular basis. Or, we could help someone else learn it. I haven't seen anything really new to me on here, that I cared about, in years. A lot of years, it feels like. And again, I personally got real tired of offering advice and answering questions on the open forum as instead of getting any thanks all you mostly ever got was an argument from someone. Again, "eff that crap".

And, as already mentioned, lots of guys have passed on - I need more than my two hands to count the members I know of that are dead now. Some real good ones, gone. Lots of other guys, varmint hunting or shooting was just a passing interest or phase and so they have moved on.

For myself, I don't do hardly any varmint shooting anymore. I whack a few dozen 'chucks an maybe a couple hundred jackrabbits, couple hundred more ground squirrels each year, and that is about it. Went and shot prairie dogs for a day this summer, with an old friend I met here on the board 20 years ago (FrankG/J), was the first time I have been bothered to shoot a prairie dog in a very long time. Had fun, but it was more about the visit with my old friends than the shooting. Really, all I do anymore is coyote hunt. I do that a lot, as much as I can, during the fall and winter. But there doesn't seem to be any interest in coyote hunting here. And, honestly, I don't post much about my coyote hunting anywhere, anyway and don't want to start. I do make a few posts about coyote hunting, once in awhile, here and other places, but I'm posting less and less about it every year and the less I post about it the less I want to post about it. So, I'm definitely part of the problem, not the solution :D.

Long winded, sorry... It just seems like GGVG is in the waning days of it's run. But it was a good run. And I'm sure a few die hards will keep hanging around until the owners decide it's not making enough money anymore and shut off the lights.

- DAA

·
Registered
291 Posts
Its all a normal progression.

When forums like this were first created years ago, there were no other multi-media outlets like there are today. Facebook, etc. are all taking a toll on the popularity of the older formats.

·
Registered
12,575 Posts
imo...... I've been here since 97 bought/sold/traded. made a ton of friends to many to name in fear i would miss one :eek:
the BBB started from a bunch of us just wanting to meet and shoot ..been doing that since 2001 it's been life changing to me and a few others the BBB is the GGVG.
this board was started by mike and john to bring varmint hunters together online from all over the country that mission succeeded in a big way and is still on going...but..since they sold it ..it has lost alot of it's soul for many reasons .
we have managed to weed out the shit heads pretty fast here that is one reason we are all still here....that said
this format needs to change to be more phone friendly since most people use the phone more that the computer anymore. that's why facebook and G+ have the numbers ...with ease of use will come more traffic more post more newbies asking the same questions over and over the same ones we ask at one time and that's a good thing.

i've had a back up board going for a wile that i don't promote where the old guys go to when we have technical difficulty here cause we will stay together no matter what we have weathered alot of shit storms heartbreak and tragedy on the GGVG and will survive more of that we can be sure.

remember google can provide the information...but only people can provide the real world know how...

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
Well the decline in activity here is unquestionable. But while we're all at it, I have learned more about accurate rifle shooting here than anywhere else in my life. On line or real world. You guys here have been a encyclopedia of knowledge to me and I will be forever grateful for it.

I don't post much about varminting because we just dont have any around where I live. And I dont count squirrels as varmints. Or deer and hogs. That's all just hunting. So while I have the opportunity may I say thank you to all past and present for allowing me to tag along and ask so many questions. I am better for it.

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
Well, I guess I could come out of my shell and post...once...
Seeing how I don't like to talk much, and bashful, guess I can post
if nobodys looking. This site has been good for me and my family. We
went through some hard times a few years ago and had support from
the greenboard family. People that we had never met but on here. You all
will never know how much you all helped out. THANKS...
Now I'm going back in my shell...

Underdog

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I've been around here about twenty years and I will agree things have changed. Nowadays I can get technical support for precision shooting on a couple of other boards and the only real varmint hunting I do is a couple of times a year for prairie dogs. But I've made most of my current friendships here and it has become more of a place to catch up and visit than a hunting site. No complaints from me. there isn't a lot of arguing about things that don't matter. It's not the same, but it's still pretty good.

Rick

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
I treasure the friends I have met here on this board. I ain't going nowhere, my friends. Hope you don't either!

Paul n Ami

1 - 18 of 18 Posts