Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a CZ 527 Varmint Laminate rifle. Last week I was at the range test firing a new handload and everything functioned fine. I brought the rifle home and put a different scope in the existing rings. When I tried to chamber a round, the bolt would not fully close. I tried to chamber a fired case, same result. Tried to close the bolt on an empty chamber, same result. Throat and chamber look OK. I don't understand why the bolt would not close on an empty chamber. Help!

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Check the scope base mounting screws. They might be a little long and extending into the receiver.
Check for debris in the chamber.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
This may not be the problem, but I'll share something that once happened to me. I had a Stolle Panda with some kind of quality scope, forget which brand, probably a Luepold or Nightforce. One day at a small private range I decided to swap scopes. Both scopes were in Davidson rings and I loosened the crossbar on the rings and slid the scope and rings off the rail. Next I slid the other scope, still in the rnigs, onto the Davidson mounts. They were snug and I recall that I had to firmly bump them into place with the heal of my hand. When I attempted to chamber a round the bolt would not close. It took a while for me to discover that the scope was actually bending the action enough that the bolt would not close. Probably not your issue, but you never know. Loosen the rings and see if it helps.

Rick

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Base

CZ scope base is part of the reciever. My rings are verticle halves not the normal horizontal ones.

·
Administrator
2,856 Posts
How about if you take the scope off and see what happens then. Very odd it would happen after you changed scopes.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Is the rifle bedded?
Something seems to be torquing the action.
Did something bend the extractor?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found it!

Sometimes it the simple things that are the hardest to see. When I remounted the scope, the rear ring was a bit too far rearward and the shank of the bolt handle was comming up against it.
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Good thing you found it. We were running out of advice.
Another almost successful keyboard diagnosis.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts