Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a problem with the stock fit (I think). I got the Advantage camo mdl, the gun shouldered well, seemed like a good fit, maybe a tad short. Took it to the range yesterday for reliability test and patterning. Shoots good, patterns pretty good, but it is really "pounding me" just below my cheek bone. I shot several "high brass" loads, and the recoil didn't seem that bad, except for my cheekbone. I don't have the problem with my Citori I've been shooting.
I placed a level along the receiver/vent rib and measured to the top of the stock. There's about a 1/4" difference between the two, with the Browning having more drop. Could that 1/4" make that much difference?
I bought the 2000 for crow hunting, but I don't know if I can stand the pounding from the gun. Could be the lighter weight......don't know.
Any suggestions of ideas on how to make the Stoeger work for me?

·
Administrator
13,334 Posts
you ought to try the 3" Heavy Mag turkey loads

OUCH,

Keith, you'll notice the recoil's a little "different" than an O/U because of the spring. It kinda has a "bounce" to it. Try holding the gun firmer and roll with it. Also, make sure your head is ON the stock when you shoot (I know I have that bad habit and it really hurts).

Yes the fit may be completely different, to the point the gun doesn't fit well. See if you can find someone with a Benelli shim kit, or order one from a benelli dealer and you should be able to shim the stock for proper fit. If you have trouble getting a shim kit, lemme know and I'll see what I can come up with.

Charlie

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Charlie, I did call Stoeger/Benelli customer service. Lady didn't have a clue, put me on hold, came back with this answer: hold the gun tighter. She said the Benelli shim kit wouldn't fit the 2000. I did take the recoil pad off, the stock is completely HOLLOW! No wonder it's so light. What about putting some weight inside the stock?
On the turkey loads...my buddy also bought a 2000, said he wondered how the turkey tube and loads would work. Just so happen, I had a 3" winchester 1 3/4 oz, #4 with me. He touched it off and I can't put in writing what he said! He wanted me to try one, so I pulled the old "switch-a-roo" and dropped a light load # 7 1/2 and touched it off. Told him that wasn't bad, he must be a little limp-wristed. His son-in-law told him what happened after we left the range.
I may have to use the Citori for turkeys, I know what it'll do.

·
Administrator
13,334 Posts
I wonder if...

the Benelli Mercury suppressor would fit inside the buttstock? There's a bracket that fits snugly inside that holds a mercury filled cylinder. May be just what you need? If not, maybe adding weight would reduce the recoil somewhat. Honestly, except for hard hitting turkey loads, I've never minded mine, but it just may "fit" me better. I'm only 5'7" and it points and feels "just right" to me. Don't know about you, maybe you're tall with long arms and it just doesn't fit?

Charlie

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tom, I'm just north of Dalton. We have been hunting in Whitfield, Walker, and Chattooga Co's. We've only had one "good" shoot all year. Last week, we killed about 50 crows at one outing. Needless to say, they had never been fooled with. We shot for about 2 1/2 hrs, and it was around 15 degrees that morning.
Charlie, I'm beginning to think that the gun just doesn't fit. My arms are long, and the 1/4" difference between the 2000 and the Citori seems to be a big factor. I may try some weight in some foam inside the stock. I'm going to try it again, on crows this time, and maybe things will fall into place.

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
you might tru an adjustable butt pad. Morgan makes one and it is about $30.00. You would gain some length and with some added weight you might be in business. Teh Morgan is not too hard to fit. Just get the outline of the stock on the pad and use a small sander to dial it in. You do not really have to compensate for extending the stock through the pas for a corret angle. the pas is separare from the mounting plate.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I shoot crows with a Beretta 390 silver malard with a plastic stock.. paid under $400 for it used..I actually shoot it better than any shot gun I own.. It's gas operated so has less recoil than a recoil operated semi. Next time I'm up that way maybe we can have dinner. I need to spend a week in Cleveland this month..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.