Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
all right im brand new to predator hunting and calling. to get to the point im using custom hand calls and i wanna know any tips you have on how to call and what i should and shouldnt do. thanks

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
in a nutshell....

and others may elaborate......
Go to your stand QUIETLY
Pick your stand carefully (watch downwind)
sound like a dying whatever
SIT STILL
If you see something coming in, don't move when IT ain't moving
SHOOT STRAIGHT
That's pretty well it in a nutshell......Except.....also helps if varmints are within hearing distance of your call.

Not trying to be funny, just if all don't go well, something above wasn't right.;)
By the way....you have some of the best calling area in the US, right at your doorstep in the Vernal area. Have called that area many times since early 1970's and love that part of the country. (my son killed a mtn. lion with his bow up the road about 2-3 miles from Flaming Gorge dam a few years ago and I called and shot 3 coyotes the same day in same area)

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
ok thankyou. have you ever hunted in the bookcliffs area?
Yup....3 of my friends and I drew mule deer tags there about 9 (I think) years ago. Had a blast and we all filled out with "real nice" bucks. That was the year I got my Shiloh Sharps 40-70 and the first deer taken with that rifle. I also called and shot 4-5 coyotes in that area then. The Gilroy boys from Vernal are good friends of ours and they treated us on that hunt. They hunt here in Oklahoma sometimes with us. I now have 9 preference points :eek: on elk for the Bookcliffs (and still can't draw that tag....LOL).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya thats were ive been thinking of going yote hunting but i still dont know were i wanna go yet. does anybody else have any tips. o ya and how long do you usually call and then wait to call again if something doesnt come in

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just my 2cents but I feel this is my best advice, Be still, CAMO CAMO CAMO hands, face, shoes. Use the gun you shoot well, varmints have been killed with all kinds of calibers use the one you shoot best. Watch the wind you will never call in anything if they smell you. Call like you mean it ,like you the rabbit were being killed. Start softley and as you go on get louder my last call i will call very loud for 1-2min and then wait for at least 5min. A whole call will be 30min. longer if you have a large area to draw them out of and maybe only 5min if you are only calling small pockets. Ollie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.