Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is the best brass, Federal, Remington, or Winchester? I would like to use federal brass in my Rem 222 because that is what I used years ago. It was the best that I knew of back then, but I can't find any. I cannot see spending $60 per 100 for Lapua to shoot in a CZ. Anyone know where I can find the federal? Of course, if everyone votes for Remington or Winchester over the Federal, its a moot point.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
There Are Several Opinions

Of the brands you mentioned, I have personally had better luck
with the Wincester Brass. The neck wall thickness runs more
consistent than the Remington, and the Winchester is a little
harder (perhaps tougher is a better word) than the Federal. I
have found that a lot of the Federal Brass is too soft, or at
least for my personal end use. Has more tendency to grow and
expand with use. The Winchester has worked well expecially for
hunting ammunition brass for me. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
440 Posts
I've noticed that at Sportsmans Warehouse, the Winchester brass is several dollars cheaper than Remington. At least it is in .204 and 22-250. Can't say that it's any better, but Remington seems to have better necks and not as many "dings" as Winchester.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
agree with Don

I too liked and used Federal back when I started shooting the deuce, in the early 80's. But have now found Winchester to be more consistent, and tougher brass.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I'd have to vote........

for the Winchester too. I don't have .222, but I use it for everthing else I load, except a 7BR.

Molon Labe

Kim

·
Registered
470 Posts
I like the Winchester...

You should be able to find the Lapua for around $33- per100 though.
Once you try it you will be impressed.I do think Winchester is very good though for the bulk of your varmint shooting.

Matt

·
Registered
230 Posts
Winchester - my vote.

Have used Rem, Win, and Fed (from spent factory rounds). Pluse picked up
Lapua and Norma just to weigh and look at.

I have found Win to be pretty good especially for varmint needs.

I have heard a few folks say that Lapua 222 is inconsistent and had off centered flashholes. I did not find that from the ten I picked up. The BR Lapua is very good so I am not sure why the 222 would be any different. Maybe someone could enlighten us on why Lapua would make good of one cartridge and not so good of the other.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I like the Winchester 222 brass, pretty good stuff for casual use. I heard in the past Lapua farmed out the 222/223 brass and has since corrected the off center flash hole problem, can't say for certain.

I am not a fan of Remington brass for anything I don't have to use them for. If given the choice, I would rather use Winchester if it was available in the caliber I needed.

Ken

·
Registered
36 Posts
Win brass is my usual though it usually needs some prep work. Nosler brass is very consistant, doesn't require any prep and worth the price. It is however heavier than win brass. I saw some Federal brass advertised in one of the fliers for natchez. Federal .222 primed brass $9.36 per 50. Go to natchezss.com and order some up

·
Registered
329 Posts
Like some of the othes... I used Federal brass in the 80's and early 90's.

I would have primers fall out of the fired cases (factory loaded ammo or new cases) from time to time. When tested with an Ames hardness tester, the case heads in question were softer than the rest.

In the mid 90's, I bought 1000 pcs of .308 Federal Gold Match brass, and when I was sorting them, I found the weights to run from 153 to 176 grains. I sent them to Federal with a complaint letter, and never heard from them. About 6 weeks later, I got a batch of brass back, and it was only 500 pcs. I called and they said they had no record of how much brass I sent them.

I sorted the brass, and the weight spread as about the same.

I now use Lapua, Winchester and Remington only.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Winchester

I also think that for run of the mill brass, Winchester is a little more consistent than some of the others. Nothing wrong with Remington or Federal, they're just not as consistent.
As far as dings??? On the first shot you'll have no more dings.............

·
Registered
485 Posts
I pull range clean up duty, at the local public range, and end up with all
kinds of different makes of brass. In rifle brass, I buy Winchester, for
load development, but once I have the load worked up, I might try
to adapt it to a different brand of brass, for my semi-autos, so I
don't have to worry about picking up brass in the woods. By this expereince,
I have to concur. Whichester is probably the most consistent, although
I have had some good batches of Federal, consistency wise, but as noted,
it is usually soft. Remington is my "plinking", and scope zeroing, brass.
It definitely helps groups open up:D

Squeeze

·
Registered
385 Posts
Winchester brass

Of the regular brands, it's Winchester. However, if you want to spend more bucks, get the Norma or Lupa.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts