Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Break-free pump spray wouldn't spray right, had some white stuff clogging the up tube. I poured it out into a clean container and noticed more white stuff floating around. I looked into the bottle and found the whole bottom was covered with this ****. I rinsed it out w/ lacquer thinner and found a gooey wax like substance. Looks like it's time to buy another. I like the pump sprayer better than the aerosol foam can, I can control it better. Anybody else see this happen? I've had this bottle for several years. Even though I use it to clean and lightly lube all my firearms, spray battery posts, lube hinges, etc. the bottle was only half gone. Good stuff in my book.

Just in case anyone was wondering, I don't use it on trigger mechanisms. For that I spray brake cleaner, dry w/ compressed air, followed by carburetor cleaner and some more compressed air to remove the excess. Carb cleaner has a dry lubricant that doesn't get sticky or attract dirt.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have had good luck with Remington Dry Lube. It dries to a film and does not attract dust. I put it on my shotgun so it does not gum up and freeze while duck hunting in the snow. It even stayed on my archery arrow release when I left it in my pants pocket in the laundry.:D Eezox is also a great product and it prevents rusting as well as a lubricant.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Break Free and CLP used by the government are the same. Two companies furnish this stuff. One has the teflon and one uses something else that keeps the teflon suppended. Just shake the bottle before use. I have been using this stuff for near 40 years. Works great for me.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Break Free and government issue CLP are not always the same thing. There is a government specification CLP which is very similar to Break Free and there is Break Free which falls under the same specs. Some govt CLP is Break Free, some is not. The imitation stuff is not as good. As someone else mentioned, it doesn't settle as much. It also smells worse. You should shake either version of CLP before use.

Break Free is good but due to potential hazmat issues and there being better products on the market now I've just about given up on it. I only use it now for odd jobs just to use up my last bottle. I have a hard time throwing anything away.

For cleaning I mostly use Gunzilla or TW-25 in 93% alcohol. If I need to get out copper I'll use Wipe Out or one of the other foaming cleaners. For lubrication and rust protection it's TW-25.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.