Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to convert a Browning Micro Hunter to .17 Ackley Hornet. I have never done anything like this. I don't know where to start. I'm going to use the gun as a fox gun. I want to shoot 20 grain bullets to do minimal pelt damage. Can somebody help to get me started? I don't think that I want to turn this over to my usual gunsmith. I would rather have the work done by someone who has experience with the .17 hornet. Thanks for any and all information.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Although you will probably get plenty ofanswer here, I would like to recommend asking your question over on www.saubier.com the small caliber web site. They have alot of experience with building guns for this caliber and know which Smiths have experience also. By the way the Browning makes an excellent 17AH conversion.
Larry

·
Registered
460 Posts
Agree with Larry - Saubier has a lot of info on this. Also, Todd Kindler compiled a book called Sensational 17's. He sells the book, which includes load data for a number of 17 wildcats. I think the site is called "Woodchuck Den" or "Small Caliber News" or both. It's been a while since I looked at it.

Good places to start. Let us know how it progresses.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Not trying to be negative but what scared me off the .17AH was brass forming. Varmint Al had an excellent article on forming the brass and I reckoned if I quit my job and locked myself in a cupboard for six months I could maybe make a couple hundred cases out of about a thousand .22 Hornet cases. The .17M4 looked alot easier by just necking down .221 Fireball and now Remington have adopted it as the .17 Fireball. I'm keeping an eye on that one.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
that scared me, too,,,,however,,,

Not trying to be negative but what scared me off the .17AH was brass forming. Varmint Al had an excellent article on forming the brass and I reckoned if I quit my job and locked myself in a cupboard for six months I could maybe make a couple hundred cases out of about a thousand .22 Hornet cases. The .17M4 looked alot easier by just necking down .221 Fireball and now Remington have adopted it as the .17 Fireball. I'm keeping an eye on that one.
....HOWEVER,,,I've NEVER done it that way! After 4,000 rounds thru just my own personal 17AH,,I only run 22 Hornet cases in one time thru my properly adjusted full length die, and load it! Even then, the skinny cases [before fireforming the first shot] were AS ACCURATE as the formed cases! So o o o o o,,,I just take the die formed/non fireformed rounds hunting! Forget anything like 'hassle' with the 17 Ack Hnt.
I feel bad that you have thought this long that the 17AH needs any kid gloves,,JUST load it and shoot it~!
I started shooting in 1960. I have a few favorite rounds I like, but the 17 Ackley Hornet would have to be number ONE. It's so sweet to shoot off the bench,,in the fields,,and especially off a swimming noodle tight on the top window edge of a Chevy Suburban lumbering thu the MONTANA pastures!
I LOVE this round!
I'm building a 17 Mach IV for me,,,and I think the main reason is,,,,well,,I don't know WHY I'm building it! Guess cause all my buddies have them.

In the 'other' Suburban {6 of us rent 2 trucks},,I know 2 of the 3 occupants probaby have loaded and shot in excess of 20,000 17 Ack Hnt rounds in their varmint hunting lives [probably more]. The third is building his 17AH this week. In the Suburban I'm in [with camera] two of us have 17 AHs.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Alan is right on the MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...........

I have fire formed at least 3000 rounds of 17 AH brass while I was killing squirrels. I got half inch groups while fire forming with about 100 fps less than formed brass.

With all the ackley's, some guys just have to have the formed cases...just drives them nuts to hunt with a non formed case...to each their own.

I shot a forming load of 11.2g of 1680 with a 20g Berger MEF with a CCI-br-4 primer and got 3450 out of the forming loads.

I played around with n-120 a little bit on formed cases and found that I was getting about 300 fps more out of my barrel compared to the formed loads with AA1680. It may be time to try forming a few new cases with the N-120 with the 20g Bullet.

Like Alan said, it is one of my favorite rifles and it will never be sold. I had two barrels chambered for it at the same time for my TC. There is so little throat errosion with the AA1680, that I am sure that neither barrel will be shot out.

When you start looking for a gunsmith to do the 17 AH, look for a reamer that has zero freebore.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Polish them dies!

I have been using the 17AH seater die (stem removed) for initial case forming; no problem with W-W cases, but R-P cases often resulted in neck collapses. Polished the inside of the die, and problem solved.
Tis' true, forming loads typically shoot extremely well. No need to waste time, bullets, or powder in fireforming!
Besides various well known small-cal gunsmiths, I believe PacNor will rebarrel your action in-house.

For my 17 MIV, I bought the main form die, skipping the final/trim die. Works well, and I have never tried using either the sizer or seater to make a 17 MIV case. It may be doable...but soon unnecessary, with the 17 Fireball on the horizon.

Greg

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
The biggest problem with the .17 AH is that with the small case presures jump very fast. When working up a load with it I recomand increasing your powder charge 1/10 of a gr. at a time. I load mine on a 550 Dillon and when forming brass just put the .22 Hornet brass in station 1 and crank it through. It come out the other end .17 Hornet then fire form. My gun shoots the 19 gr. Calhoons 1/4 moa. I have got some nasty hole in groundhog with them, and have shot 2 **** with them and both looked like they were hit with a 22-250. I would recomand you not use the Berger MEF bullets as they are to explosive. About any of the other bullet I`ve tried will do the job, so just find the one that shoots best in your gun.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Well it really isn't an excellent article, it's just total nonsense and I don't know where he came up with all that stuff. Thank God I built my gun in '92 or '93 and long before reading what some "ex-purt" had to say. The .17AH is a very easy wildcat and tons of fun to shoot. Like Keith, I've made about 3,000 cases by just running them through a FL sizer.....no annealing, no neckturning foolishness. Then all those cases were loaded and fireformed while shooting real honest-to-gosh bullets at groundsquirrels and prairie dogs and rockchucks and muskrats and magpies, a whole bunch of porcupines, and several fox. And like Keith's, mine is also a T/C carbine which makes about the handiest truck gun you could imagine. It's such a great cartridge, I had another made on a bolt action. But it's the T/C that always goes along in the truck. Forget you ever read that article and build one. It may well become one of your favorite rifles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts