Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys need some help! i hunted yotes and fox last year and have only made it out a few times this year.....

i have all sorts of mouth calls primos mostly (randy anderson serious)
and a western rivers mp3 player that makes alot of poping noices when in use so needless to say i dont use it!!

but what i am looking to learn here is WHAT KIND OF SEQUENCE DO YOU USE?

do you start with a howl?? i sound like a sick elk when i try to howl!!:eek:

do you start with rabbit in distress calls?

how do you do it????

i am also looking for some info on the extreme dimension game call i was playing with it at the store and it sounded alright to me but so did the western river mp3 game call!!!

thanks in advance for you info!!!:)

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Hello Loopy,
Try going to Varmint Als Sight and go to coyote hunting section,scroll down and have a look at the El Cheapo caller, I have put something very similar together and it works great with his downloads. Particularly the 16min sequence,20 min sequence. His sight is excellent and you will save some hard earned cash. I live in S. KY and have found the elctronic caller very important because of the terrain I have to hunt. When using mouth calls I seem to get busted way to much!! I put the electronic call about 80 yards ,if possible up wind and let the sequence play keeping a very close watch for critters dropping in down wind of the caller between me and it. So far so good. Wish I was out West where I could use a mouth call and watch them coming from long distances but cant here,they just show up and are usually pretty close if I have done my part. Good Luck and dont give up !

·
Registered
279 Posts
Loopy - which Wester Rivers caller did you get? I got one from a friend of mine that was having problems with it, which makes me think that's common. The downloadable sounds from their website aren't great either.

·
Registered
65 Posts
try anything

Try whatever you feel you can do best. Just make a noise that is very distressfull. It doesn't matter with a specific sequence. I start with a short series of squeels just in case there is something nearby. If nothing comes in quick the next series of squeels lasts longer and is louder. I have changed calls several times in one set and had a yote come in after all that. Howls are good if you can do them. You need to learn a bit about how to make the proper howl first. Watching videos are one of the best ways. To see a yote put out a warning howl on a video after it busted the hunter is very educating. I learned the challenge howl from a tape and when I actually heard that same howl in the mating season it boosted my confidence. It is best to learn some of the howls before trying them. Distress calls are different. Just put a lot of heart into it. My actuall favorite is a woodpecker distress but I also use a lot of rabbit squeels and plain distress calls of no particular animal. If it sounds like something is being murdered, a coyote wants in on it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Sequences and Howls

Hey guys need some help! i hunted yotes and fox last year and have only made it out a few times this year.....

i have all sorts of mouth calls primos mostly (randy anderson serious) You might want to checkout Randy Anderson's DVD The Truth III. He goes into the sequences and sounds. You'd be surprised at what sort of howls work. Coyotes make all sorts of different howls. There are pups, immature adults and mature alpha males that all sound different. You do need to be able to achieve a fairly high pitch though.
and a western rivers mp3 player I use some of these, but on a cheap K-mart MP3 player and an old Johnny Stewart system. This is very similar to the "El-Cheapo" at Varmint Al's site. I really like the ones where the coyotes are mixing it up with a turkey, cottontail or fawn. That is hard to do as a single caller. that makes alot of poping noices when in use so needless to say i dont use it!!

but what i am looking to learn here is WHAT KIND OF SEQUENCE DO YOU USE?

In general - Start out with a greeting/locator/interrogation (whatever you want to call it) which is a longer howl. Preceded with a few barks and a long high pitch howl of about 5 or 6 seconds. You don't always have to do the bark. Don't continually repeat this though.

If you get interrogation responses, stick with the interrogation for a bit, but I don't do too much of this. It can start sounding like an alarm which means something's up and everyone better stay back because what's happenin' aint right.

If you get a challenge howl back - respond with a challenge howl. That is a few barks followed by a short 3 second or so howl. You don't have to sound like a big dog for this one. Sounding like a pathetic young dog is good. Hopefully, the intimidation factor will be low and the "I'm gonna kick some tail" will prevail. If this keeps going on - keep it up and let them get real riled up. I've tried the gang sound when an entire gang was howling at me, but I have not found that to be very effective, but for some callers it works.

If no responses or a lot of howling, I try to go to a rabbit or other prey sound that hopefully makes them think I (speaking as a coyote) have something bettter to do with food on the docket.

Stay with the rabbit and keep your eyes open downwind.

After a while - the Kiyi call which is supposed to be a pup getting it's butt kicked can be effective to trip them to come in to investigate.

do you start with a howl?? i sound like a sick elk when i try to howl!!:eek:

do you start with rabbit in distress calls?

how do you do it????

There is a website that is out there in Indiana or Illinois that is for the preservation of coyotes. They have a tremendous library of actual howls of coyotes. Listen to those and you will know what I'm talking about. Coyotes are all over the map and have more distinct sounds than a choir of humans. Really, almost anything goes. You'll be surprised.
Listen to Howl 26 on this website. It has everything in it.

http://www.coyoterescue.org/sounds.html (I bet they won't mind allowing us to advance our skills by listening to their wonderful research.)

I'I hope this helps some.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bumed on yotes

hey DwayeTX the western rivers mp3 predation caller, i dont know the exact model of it but it has the remote for it you can download the songs on to it from there wesite ,it also has the digital display on the top, dont know what else to say about it except the songs have a static noise to it and it likes to make a pop noice at the end of some songs.........

DOUGHBOY, DO YOU HAVE THE WESITE ADRESS FOR VARMIT ALS???
i like the idea of the long 16,20 minute songs!!!
and thanks you gave me some more ideas for my set ups!!!

And thanks TX JACK and STEVEN D
for the advice i will be looking into that web site steven and jack i do watch some shows and movies will be watching alot more of them now!!

right now i am in the process of making a decoy like the new one fox pro came out with more or less copying the idea the remote controll parts i have i will only be able to be 20-40 yards away so hopefully that will be far enough :) we are actually suppose to get some snow up here this weekend so hopefully it will be a good weekend!!

thanks again guys!!

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
From this site you can access it by going to the members pages,his site is listed there/ Varmints Den to Members Pages.
Let us know how you make out.
Mike F.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
vamit als hunting web site is great!!

just wanted to say thanks for the wesite!! there is alot of info there to try and remember!!

thanks guys for all the info! i gotta get back to work and finish my toys so i can get out HUTNIN!!!!

i will keep ya updated on how it all works and if i figure out how i will attatch some pictures of the caller/decoy i am making

·
Registered
460 Posts
Thank Varmint Al -

just wanted to say thanks for the wesite!! there is alot of info there to try and remember!!

thanks guys for all the info! i gotta get back to work and finish my toys so i can get out HUTNIN!!!!

i will keep ya updated on how it all works and if i figure out how i will attatch some pictures of the caller/decoy i am making
You should drop him a line yourself. He's a member of this forum.

He's done a lot there without asking so much as to have people hit the links to some of his supporters.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts