Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the afternoon off, bundled up and went out West for some rabbit hunting. Six inches of crusty snow was on the ground and the sun was out. No wind was present and it felt warmer than 15 degrees when I started. The Jacks were fat and active during the three walks I took. I was shooting my Interarms, Mark X Mini-Mauser with a 25" Shilen tube in 17 Remington.

19 Jacks were killed with 31 25 grain Vmaxes launched at 4100 fps. This was the first time I have shot the 25 grain Vmaxes through sage at obscured Jacks and I was impressed with their ability to stay on course. All shooting was off-hand.

Most shots were at sitting or standing Jacks (I will usually wait for them to stop) and average distance was 150 yards. I shot at 5 runners but only connected on two.

I killed three really strange looking rabbits. They were not whitetail or blacktail jacks. They were much more brown in color and possibly some domesticated mix or a type of Hare? They were long and tall like a whitetail jack.

By the end of the afternoon I arrived back at the Bronco with the sun down and it getting very cold (7 below). My mustache was completely frozen over and full of ice. You gotta love it!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Sounds like fun, but it also sounds cold! Glad you got out and enjoyed the sunshine, you folks over in UT and CO have endured some pretty poor weather lately.

I've been curious about that 20BR...how's she doing?

Steve

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
20 Br

The 20 BR is doing really well Steve. I have worked up some good loads for it and DAA gave me some loads he worked up with the 32 vmaxes that were screamin out at 4700 fps! ;) I mostly shoot the 39's and 40's at 41-4200fps.

I have had her out chuck hunting a couple times and pdog shooting twice. I was a little disappointed with the terminal performance of the 20 caliber on chucks past 300 yards (it was damn easy to hit them though all the way out to 500). I will mostly use it for long range pdogs. My 12 year old son Zachary has taken ownership of it after running off 9 straight hits at 400 yards the last time we went pdog shooting!:D

I bought a 10FP in 308 and took the Bell and Carlson stock from the 20BR and placed it on the 308 since it has a better recoil pad than the 10FP stock. I placed the 10FP synthetic Savage stock into the 20BR and gave it a nice tacticle paint job. There was no loss of POA or accuracy in either rifle.

I really like the rifle and caliber. It is the most accurate rifle I currently own!

I hope you are still pleased with the CZ 204.

Mike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.